The new "died in the line of duty" thread

ChristianVirtual

[H]ard DCOTM x3
Maybe it is linked to my professional history and current setup but I prefer FAH over any of those math projects ... wish more bio/health would show up in boinc. Not so crappy as Rosetta and more WU as GPUGrid.
While I don’t fold with cpu on FAH is because their beta version often not running on my centos stock versions and slow/no response on recompiling those.

Else: they can peacefully coexists . And for me they will.

faugusztin

2[H]4U
Finally got my parts for the 2950x system, so i had time to take apart and figure out why my X99 was behaving weird... Found out that only 3 of 8 RAM slots work, and it is not down to overtightening. I guess i can call this state as "died". It's either the CPU or the motherboard - in any case RIP.

Toconator

Gawd
Put me down for a mobo too. When my PSU died last week it took the GA-150+ with it. Put in a spare OCZ PSU and she's deader than a doornail, its my Server too. Fck Thermaltake TR2-500 just under 2 yr old and under warranty and was plugged into a Cyberpower UPS so it wasnt a surge that took it. Thats the 2nd TR2 in last 2-3 yrs. Wont be recommending them to anyone anytime soon...

ChristianVirtual

[H]ard DCOTM x3
The database server driving hard-dc.com gave up one SSD out of its softy RAID1 , first responder tried but patient still in coma trying to get the newly implanted SSD running.
I hope the backups will work :-|

But I guess I use that opportunity to move full to a newer version of Postgres and switch the scheme to one using a partitioned tables. Based on time. That will improve the query performance.

But this means a downtime until weekend.

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x2
Add a MSI 1070Ti to the casualty list, died last week while folding. Bought as a refurb in feb last year so not the longest lived of cards. Not sure what i'm going to replace it with but probably a 2070

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
Add a MSI 1070Ti to the casualty list, died last week while folding. Bought as a refurb in feb last year so not the longest lived of cards. Not sure what i'm going to replace it with but probably a 2070
Warranty?

motqalden

[H]ard|DCOTM Feb 2018, June 2019
This is why i prefer hunting down good used deals. The 1070ti's i bought this year still had 1.5 years warranty left from EVGA when i picked them up
Just need to by the cards from manufactures that allow warranty transfer.

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
I lost a few more ARM devices this past week. Still migrating some from other locations though. Had to utilize power strips as I setn my 100 port USB charger back.

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x2
This is why i prefer hunting down good used deals. The 1070ti's i bought this year still had 1.5 years warranty left from EVGA when i picked them up
Just need to by the cards from manufactures that allow warranty transfer.
True but I bought this in feb 2018, which being as it was the height of the mining fad meant that buying anything was nearly impossible. it was a gamble and I lost on thins occasion, my other refurb was a 1080 bought in oct 2017 and its still going strong.

Lesson learnt and i will only be buying new from now on

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
^ Mining not a fad, just moved on to purpose built bare metal ASIC hardware. That said, I was thinking about adding a 2nd 1080ti to my primary setup, thinking that at two years old the prices would have come down, nope, $1200, just what I paid for this one...

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
Dual core Dell Inspiron died today. Pulling usable parts and replacing with a Dell Latitude E6410 Quad core. So, good news is that I went up 2 more cores in the grand scheme of things.

Endgame

Limp Gawd
The i5 in my sig is no more. The OC had degraded about 200mhz In late 2018, so I replaced it with a 2700X on Black Friday 2018, moved Over the 1080ti, and left it powered off in a corner. I’ve been pulling out all the stops with hardware I’ve got laying around for Folding and Rosetta and figured I would remove the OC and let it run at stock.

Plugged it in tonight, hit the power button and “pop” the lights went off. Reset the breaker, tried a new PSU, and nothing. Either the mobo or CPU is shot, and I don’t have the hardware on hand to figure out if it is one, the other, or both.

Endgame

Limp Gawd
I ran that host on the absolute edge of what it would run at for over 5 years, so I’m not surprised it smoked. I am a little surprised it popped the breaker though - wonder what would cause that.

Normally I don’t run anything with that much of an OC for more than 18 months, but there just wasn’t anything good enough to justify an upgrade for years, so I just kept using it.