The New Dells

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
Anyone else like the new dells? Dell as of recent has really impressed me. They are really starting to become a cut above the rest.

What are your guys thoughts?

[BB] Rick James said:
Anyone else like the new dells? Dell as of recent has really impressed me. They are really starting to become a cut above the rest.

What are your guys thoughts?

I don't really see the point of an OEM if you can build one yourself.

PigCorpse said:

See that's just it. Now with the Dells you can build them yourself.. They send you the parts and you put it together. Price is pretty competitive as well.. I like the new cases.

Wait, where does it say that? I was on their site earlier today, and just now, and I don't see anything like that.

Then again, I took a very quick look.

NVM I saw it...

The new XPS 700 cases are nice.

My main point is, though, that while Dell is improving over itself and other OEMs, it's still not enough to beat building yourself.

Take the red XPS 700 case for example. It looks pretty badass, but it's not as classy as a LL V1000 or Antec P180.

I think that building comes with many advantages but you will need to do some tweaking (which is a good thing, sometimes). However, buying from an OEM doesn't require tweaking usually. Even if you buy the parts from Dell and put them together, it's still not as 'fun' as picking out the parts yourself.

PigCorpse said:
Wait, where does it say that? I was on their site earlier today, and just now, and I don't see anything like that.

Then again, I took a very quick look.

NVM I saw it...

The new XPS 700 cases are nice.

My main point is, though, that while Dell is improving over itself and other OEMs, it's still not enough to beat building yourself.

Take the red XPS 700 case for example. It looks pretty badass, but it's not as classy as a LL V1000 or Antec P180.

I think that building comes with many advantages but you will need to do some tweaking (which is a good thing, sometimes). However, buying from an OEM doesn't require tweaking usually. Even if you buy the parts from Dell and put them together, it's still not as 'fun' as picking out the parts yourself.

I know. But still. Kind of nice getting all your parts in one place. I agree building is the way to go.

Well, my opinions aren't exactly the greatest. I'm a little biased against Dell... a little...

PigCorpse said:

So my computer illiterate relatives can buy one and I don't have to do tech support from 1000 miles away.

Fenris_Ulf said:
So my computer illiterate relatives can buy one and I don't have to do tech support from 1000 miles away.

check and mate.

i am biased against DELL too. but it was good while it lasted. but still DELL sucks.

they had a deal for a notebook 15.4 screen for 449 last week and I bit.
just needed something for my wife to take to the library for word and net use. well worth it ..gig of ram 370 celery and a 40gb drive with wifi so i said ok you can get a dell. :p

[BB] Rick James said:
So you guys are stating your bias but no explaination. Care to share your biases?
Dell uses all cheapass parts and components.

rysher said:
Dell uses all cheapass parts and components.

Taking a deep look at my XPS 400 shows it has a ...

-Samsung SATA II hard drive, same model is available on Newegg

-Crucial RAM

-7800GTX appears to be built by MSI

-Foxconn motherboard

-Philips DVD burner

-A BTX cooler that has more fins and a wider contact surface than the stock Intel BTX cooler

Ya', looks like a bunch of cheap junk :rolleyes:

[BB] Rick James said:

Not much of a laptop kind of guy but the XPS 700 looked impressive. Unfortunately we are probably still dealing with OEM instead of Retail components so all the goodness we would expect is probably not there. Still really no reason to pass up the more reputable boutique shops unless you get one heck of a discount. Which I happened to get.

Now with other issues, including two months and no XPS 700's delivered yet, it looks like Dell's effort to be more gamer friendly has stumbled pretty badly.

Rick James, do you work for Dell?

In the past, many people disliked Dell for their propietary components/cases. My understanding is that the XPS line steers away from those nightmares and shitty parts.

Dell computers have indeed gotten better, but their customer support is still garbage.

Fenris_Ulf said:

Well, I said IF you can build yourself, the OEMs are pointless. For someone who is computer illiterate, then he/she obviously can't build him/herself. So then OEMs might not be pointless...

Apallohadas said:
Dell computers have indeed gotten better, but their customer support is still garbage.

And you base this on what? I have used Dell support twice in the last 12 months, once to order recovery CDs and once to get my firmware upgraded 2007FPW swapped out. Both times I used their online chat and was shocked at how smooth the whole thing went, my request for recovery CDs took less than 7 days to process and arrive at no charge. My monitor swap took a couple weeks, but that wasn't shocking and they kept me informed the whole time.

A couple years ago I had horrible experiences with Dell support regarding my dad's PC, and I actively steered people away them, but they have made a huge turn around in quality and service lately.

I find it so funny people have to find reasons to hate on Dell.

PigCorpse said:
Well, I said IF you can build yourself, the OEMs are pointless. For someone who is computer illiterate, then he/she obviously can't build him/herself. So then OEMs might not be pointless...

Don't rule out those who have more money than time, I have built dozens of PCs over the years, but my job takes more time now so Dell turning their act around saves me time I don't have to waste doing product research or tweaking a custom build.

Apallohadas said:
I base it on my own experiences, much like you base your opposing opinion on your's.

But is that experience recent enough to be relevant to this discussion?

Well I had a pretty aggrivating experience just ordering an XPS 700 and now I am having a pretty aggrivating experience seeing other customers having ordered theirs dating back to June 1st and not receiving them yet or anyone even having their orders get beyond "pre-production" status.

Has Dell made an effort? Yes, absolutely. Has it been enough? Well, time will tell but so far they seem to have run into trouble.

Sir Robin said:
Well I had a pretty aggrivating experience just ordering an XPS 700 and now I am having a pretty aggrivating experience seeing other customers having ordered theirs dating back to June 1st and not receiving them yet or anyone even having their orders get beyond "pre-production" status.

Has Dell made an effort? Yes, absolutely. Has it been enough? Well, time will tell but so far they seem to have run into trouble.

I don't know if I would call product availabiity a real breakdown, Dell has more than once had bumpy product launches, my points are more in regard to after the sale support. But I do agree, they are handling the XPS 700 situation poorly.

Dells online tech support is pretty good actually... just so you know. I have had several very smooth run-ins with them.

BTW has anyone trashed the new dell m1210, becuase that thing seems sick as Hell...

I use to work for a company that was a Dell Reseller and Tech Center, I have seen many many dells working there. Configuring them online and ordering them could not be any easier. The Home Based Customer support could speak a little better english.. but cant win them all seeing they are in Indinia. The Small Business Side is back in the US and their support is great. Chatting online with a tech has improved things greatly. Before i would be on the phone for hours tring to get warrenty parts for computers. In all i think Dell has some decent PC's but i know its cheaper to build your own, A Dell PC with the performace i want would cost me around 2500-3000 and i can build it myself for half that. With a dell all your buying is the nice shiney name on the front of the pc that is it. Dont get me wrong they are a great company, but just not for me. I have to say their monitors are the best though, i have an 19" UltraSharp and that thing is best for gaming hands down. I want a 30" Widescreen... but time will come for that :p
Thats my 2 cents on them. :rolleyes:

Dell's online tech support has actually impressed me A LOT. I was on some prank vent server and these pranksters called Dell, saying that the computer blew up, and the metal Dell logo flew into a cat's ear, killing it, and prompting the father of the caller to eat the cat. They then proceded to accuse the Dell rep of putting C4 in the computer without supplying a defuse kit. However, I was very surprised when the Dell rep DID NOT hang up, and insisted on the caller to bring his information so that he can get help. Even though the caller was very immature, the tech support/rep remained very professional throughout the session, even calling a manager when the caller wanted.

thats actually pretty cool. Again, the only support, with the experience i have had, is very good.

RoffleCopter said:
Dell's online tech support has actually impressed me A LOT. I was on some prank vent server and these pranksters called Dell, saying that the computer blew up, and the metal Dell logo flew into a cat's ear, killing it, and promting the father of the caller to eat the cat. They then proceded to accuse the Dell rep of putting C4 in the computer without supplying a defuse kit. However, I was very surprised when the Dell rep DID NOT hang up, and insisted on the caller to bring his information so that he can get help. Even though the caller was very immature, the tech support/rep remained very professional throughout the session, even calling a manager when the caller wanted.
rofl... great story

I think the new Dell xps is awesome.. If i didnt enjoy building my pc's so much i would go Dell.! :)

All in all I like Dell.. :)

Back