The NES Classic Is So Popular It Outsold the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch in June

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The NES Classic did not return to retailers until the tail end of June (29), but the miniature console still managed to outsell the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. NPD analyst Mat Piscatella notes that this is “the first time a Nintendo Entertainment System console has led in monthly unit sales since NPD tracking began in 1995.”

While the NES Classic is priced at $59 compared to more expensive current-generation consoles, it’s clearly still in demand 35 years after the original Nintendo Entertainment System debuted in 1983. The NES Classic comes loaded with 30 games including classics like Super Mario Bros., Metroid, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, and Pac-Man.

I don't even understand why they took it off the market in the first place, or why it took so long to get back on the market. Any other company would have been screaming to get such a popular item back to market. But somehow Nintendo doesn't? I don't get it.

Like, I know they're about quality over quantity, but it sounds like they had the first hammered out, why short gamers with quantity?

I don't even understand why they took it off the market in the first place, or why it took so long to get back on the market. Any other company would have been screaming to get such a popular item back to market. But somehow Nintendo doesn't? I don't get it.

Like, I know they're about quality over quantity, but it sounds like they had the first hammered out, why short gamers with quantity?

Create hype and perceived value.

I surprised they didn't fix the ROM hacking after the 1st run.

Put the games on Steam in a pack for the same price as the NES classic and most likely sell even more than the NES Classic units did.

I have to admit, this appeals to me, but I already have a NES emulator, two USB NES controllers and just about every game released on the NES in my desktop.

Nostalgia though...
I don’t have the NES classic but I do have the SNES and it’s an unregretable purchase at MSRP. The nostalgia the game sit comes with and the controllers. Man the controllers feel so good.

And there really is something wonderful in a way about sitting on the floor because the cords are so short, holding authentic gamepads and playing those games. The only way to make it better would be if I had my childhood friend over to marathon secret of mana two player like we used to do. I just have to settle for my sisters kids.

Kinda apples and oranges, no?

I bought one but threw it up in the closet shelf to collect, not use.

nintendo still making bank on 30 year old games.

all the while their current turds collect dust.

I tried to buy one during the first run, that didn't turn out so well as they didn't have enough stock.
I eventually bought the SNES remake - my kids like a few of the games. I haven't really played it much.
I'm debating about the NES. I have a Pi and all of the games, so it's not going to give me much over what I already have. Still, it's a cool product. (I'm waiting on the release of the Neo Geo - def want that one.)

Got both and hacked both with extra games.

But let’s keep this in perspective.

1) NES classic was just reintroduced and I bought one myself.
2) at MSRP which it was finally available at it cost the same as one current gen console game.

Still awesome as hell.

That may involve retooling the production run, dunno what a comprehensive fix would be like.

Considering the NES and SNES classic are nearly identical internal hardware, I suspect not doing it is a cost saving measure to move units.

I surprised they didn't fix the ROM hacking after the 1st run.

I just bought the snes console shell and controllers for my retropie which has all the systems on it. It looks and plays good enough for me and I only spent like $60 for everything.

I have one of the hacks ( Coolbaby ).. Works good enough. Has all Mario's, Contra and just about everything you want plus a lot of hilarious rom hacks.. I bought it when the real thing was unobtainable for anywhere near a reasonable price.

I doubt the claim this article makes. I know there is very sufficient demand of the NES classic, BUT....I highly doubt it outsold the PS4, XBOX, and Switch for the month of June....that doesn't sound likely in 1-2 days since it happened at the end of the month, and I want to see the numbers that this article so conveniently left out.

Given that the boards are basically the same between the NES and SNES, I'm pretty sure they stopped making the NES so they could try to have some stock of the SNES when they launched that. The SNES was way easier to get than the NES, so I think they succeeded. Now they're probably going to swap the line back and forth until nobody wants these anymore. They're going to need a new board for 4 controllers for N64 mini, if that happens next, but maybe it's time for a new virtual boy?

Available to order at Amazon for MSRP with Prime shipping. Will be in stock on August 21st. Just snagged one. Get 'em while you can!

Back