The Mystery Of TrueCrypt's Disappearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I find it puzzling how people automatically assume the government is their enemy. As long as you're working as a part of the system and abiding laws, the government is your friend not your enemy.

That load of shit is so rancid I could smell it over the internet.

Tell that to every citizen that's had their house busted in by SWAT, and had pets or even family members shot or killed...only to find they were in the wrong house.

Tell that to every person now paying a fortune more for worse health care plans that they were forced to take after the plan they liked better was cancelled to comply with new regs.

Tell that to every veteran who committed suicide because the VA was too busy fucking with their appointment in order to satisfy bureaucrats.

You speak with such naivete I can only imagine that your umbilical cord is still attached.

Sometimes I find it puzzling how people automatically assume the government is their enemy. As long as you're working as a part of the system and abiding laws, the government is your friend not your enemy.

Wrong.

The problem is that, barring ANY other factor or influence (and there are many), "the government" is just a bunch of people. And while, collectively, I *do* believe we do better good than harm...

...I'm not trusting my personal information as free access to them.

As, after all, individual people are assholes and will abuse their power over others for personal gain.

That load of shit is so rancid I could smell it over the internet.

Tell that to every citizen that's had their house busted in by SWAT, and had pets or even family members shot or killed...only to find they were in the wrong house.

That's a mistake, not malicious intent dummy.

Tell that to every person now paying a fortune more for worse health care plans that they were forced to take after the plan they liked better was cancelled to comply with new regs.

Don't like the system? Move away. No malicious intent there and especially nothing that encryption would fix! We have socialized free healthcare in my country. Dental and all!

Tell that to every veteran who committed suicide because the VA was too busy fucking with their appointment in order to satisfy bureaucrats.

Again not malicious intent by the government and certainly nothing encryption would fix. Complain to your politicians if you don't like the system.

You speak with such naivete I can only imagine that your umbilical cord is still attached.

You proved with your examples that you confuse internal politic decisions with hostility from your government. None of those cases were anything you could defend against using secrecy or other actions. Your only option is to get politically active and start to troll your congressmen.

But noo, you prefer to ramp up conspiracy schemes, watch tv and use encryption. You're SMART! LOLLLOL! :D

Wrong.

The problem is that, barring ANY other factor or influence (and there are many), "the government" is just a bunch of people. And while, collectively, I *do* believe we do better good than harm...

...I'm not trusting my personal information as free access to them.

As, after all, individual people are assholes and will abuse their power over others for personal gain.

So which scenario EXACTLY are you trying to prevent by using an encryption method that differs from the regularly available one in that it probably can't be ready by your government?

You still don't get that anyone working for the government already has all your personal information they possibly can have to perform identity theft, ruin your credit, get you in jail with false accusations and all these things. And none of this is preventable by encrypting your files.

The only reason for you to be worried about the government possibly reading your personal files is that you're under an investigation and your files contain something incriminating. If your government really were malicious and had the intent to hurt you, it will not need any files from you. You'll just disappear and everyone is ordered not to investigate further. Poof.

But wasn't the whole issue that bitlocker wasn't enough because the NSA can supposedly read it?
According to the guy who developed it, he denied all NSA requests for a backdoor.

He did tell them that a potential attack target would be recovery keys, but a user IS NOT obligated to keep any form of recovery key when they use Bitlocker. It's optional and used for recovery purposes should something go horribly wrong with a bootable encrypted volume.

So the assumption is that you need to hide from your government specifically.
Uh, no it's not? I'm encrypting my drives so some random laptop thief doesn't have the potential to result in identity theft.

I doubt that your government has any need to steal your identity, they could just make you disappear and take whatever is your life at will.
Exactly, they don't have any need. Good thing hiding from the government hadn't crossed my mind when I encrypted my drives, right?

Also you're engaging in a pretty risky behaviour if you store your credit card and banking information on your computer to begin with. Bad bad form.
If you've EVER purchased anything through a web browser (or any other piece of software), your details have been stored in your computer. It's rather hard NOT to leave a trace of SOMETHING on your hard disk.

All it takes is for your browser to suck-up a sensitive field via auto-complete because a lazy web-dev forgot to tag it properly, and boom, there's your banking info saved to-disk. And just deleting it might not erase it, which leaves the potential for data-recovery tools to get that information even after you've tried to clean up after yourself.

There's literally almost nothing a user can do, unless they feel like booting into Tails just to shop on Amazon...

@B00nie, the government must be held accountable. If we all just hold hands and say that our government is our friend, it will be easier for the malicious in power to further their agenda. And for those in government who aren't malicious, the temptation to abuse power becomes greater when their is no accountability. A person in a larger country just can't handle too much power. It goes to their head. Maybe things work ok in Iceland, I've never been there, but in the U.S. you have to compromise on principles to get anything done here. With each new law, there is an extremely high probability that someone will get the big fat McNasty raw deal. And it's the nice innocent little man that gets it every time. Politicians have to get elected/re-elected and they won't be able to do it by pleasing only the little man. Someone else will always carry more weight. The funniest thing is that politicians who campaign for the 'little guy' are often the ones who squish him the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back