Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don't have a preference. I shop for Price : Performance

Votes: 116 69.5%
  • ATI is my favorite company.

Votes: 28 16.8%

• Total voters

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been a member of this forum for a decent amount of time and I have come to respect the members here for their level of expertise (some of the members anyways ;) ). Still; it seems that there is quite a deal of favoritism toward either ATI or Nvidia. I thought it would be kind of interesting to gather the community's perception of the the existence of superiority amongst the two major manufacturers of our precious videocards.

So I decided to make a poll to gather these opinions. Feel free to be as honest as possible because your poll votes will be completely anonymous. If you want to leave a declaritive reply concerning your vote, feel free to comment however you wish.

Your choices are:

Nvidia is my favorite video card company, I go GREEN whenever I can and as often as I can

I have no preference, I love both companies and go with whomever offers the best Price : Performance option in my eyes

ATI is my favorite video card company, I go RED whenever I can and as often as I can.

Let's see if our forum favors one side or the other.

I'm a price : performance evangelist because getting the best value for my consumer dollar is the only logical decision for me

I've had both companies cards in my machines over the years. Whoever gives the best bang for the buck in the higher end market gets my cash when I'm ready to upgrade. I usually go big on the GPU and motherboard, and then settle for mainstream stuff that overclocks well everywhere else. So come spring time we'll see who gets me money. Nvidia with a kick ass new card or ATi with a possible refresh of the 5870. We'll see.

Price/perf here, but I've had better luck with nVidia's drivers in the past, so I tend to weigh them a little higher, recently it's been the other way around though, and I like that, means I can go back to pure price/perf comparisons.

Although for me, a lot of it is usability too, will I have to go through hoops and menus to get hdmi out with audio or will it just work when I plug it in, will it auto detect my swapping displays and such? Right now I'm really happy with my setup in that regard, and I can't afford the 5870 anyway, and I'd have to get a DP-> HDMI Active adapter for an extra 100 to go with it...

I usually go for ATI. In the past though the nVidia cards I've owned give better FPS, they just haven't given the same image quality as ATI, or features and the movie quality has been way worse (though I haven't owned an nVidia since the 7 series).

I say price/perf but if I had to choose it would be ATI because nVidia just doesn't seem to be on their game right now.

3dfx 4 evar!!!

I usually purchase whatever mainstream card is best when a new elderscrolls game comes out. :D

Features, Performance, Price

PhysX + 3D support (anaglyph red/blue is fun) from NVidia put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Now ATI have demon fast cards with multi monitor, Fermi may get this too but remains to be seen.
I'm waiting a bit before buying my next card, probably until Fermi release.
Then theres the DX11 issue.
By the time Fermi is out, we should have the first DX11 games so their quality difference will help define DX11's potential.

Price/performance is what I normally go for however some of nvidia's recent douchebaggery has left me favoring ati atm. Mind you I love their engineers for the direction they are taking with their next gen chips but the price hiking, physx driver lockouts, etc. is something I'm not fond of.

Like a few of the responses before mine, whichever company has the better bang for buck product out when I decide to upgrade, gets my money. I don't really have a preference.

don't give a shit, whoever has the best card for the best price wins.

if it can't be decided from features (iq, movies, whatever) then well, i guess i'll pick out of a hat or whatever. i've owned both vendors and both have been fine.

Aren't ATI developing an open source, OpenCL, nVidia and ATI compatible physics solution? I can't see Physx lasting much longer.
NVIDIA is supposedly already working on a PhysX variant that doesn't run on CUDA.

Whatever gives me the most performance and features for my money.

I wouldn't call it "price/performance" so much as I just buy whatever is the top performing set-up. I don't consider just raw performance though, but also features, power consumption, noise, overclockability, etc.

I wouldn't call it "price/performance" so much as I just buy whatever is the top performing set-up. I don't consider just raw performance though, but also features, power consumption, noise, overclockability, etc.
Exactly. Less buyer's remorse that way.

While I generally go for price and performance, I cannot stand nvidia's drivers. ATi generally has solid drivers which means less time troubleshooting and more time playing.

3dfx 4 evar!!!

I usually purchase whatever mainstream card is best when a new elderscrolls game comes out. :D

Man that brings back some memories. Got Morrowind when I had a fx5500..:rolleyes:. I'm sorry to. What an over priced piece of shit I bought. And that game would bring damn near anything to it's knees back in the day.

I'm more or less poor till my 5 kids grow up, so I am a huge price/performance guy. Almost always buy an AMD system..cause I am poor. And always run a generation behind on GPU till the 5750 this time. I am for sure not a [H] gamer which helps out. I do lust after an i7/5870 xfire system though, but it might be overkill for Lotro.;)

I go price performance. I've always liked Nvidia a little better because I've had less issues with their drivers, but I haven't had one since the 8800GTX. The price/performance has had me with ATI lately.

Best in the $200 range is where I roll. I'm actually a fan boy of both companies, I'm honestly jealous of people who run both for PhysX, I just can't really afford it :p

Both companies have made some bad ass cards for my systems. Was never a Matrox guy and I was glad to see them leave this market even with the price pressure they provided.

Price/performance is what I normally go for however some of nvidia's recent douchebaggery has left me favoring ati atm. Mind you I love their engineers for the direction they are taking with their next gen chips but the price hiking, physx driver lockouts, etc. is something I'm not fond of.

X2. nVidia makes nice cards, thats a given but lots of minus image for them as a company.
-Fermi mock-up
-GTX 280 pricing fiasco
-Huge dies and long length cards
-endless renaming, rebranding
-Generally less performance/price than ATI price points
-locking SLI chipsets

I voted price/performance but I'm most likely gonna switch back to Red (5850) soon...nVidias cards don't even fit in my f*cking case.

I have always preferred Nvidia, but if ATi has a vastly superior lineup (Geforce 5800 vs Radeon 9700); I will go with them.

Can we have 2 more options like:

I go with Price/Performance, however all things being equal or in a close race ATI gets the vote.

I go with Price/Performance, however all things being equal or in a close race NVidia gets the vote.

I've been burned by ATI drivers over the previous 8 years in both home and bussiness machines for so long that I became an NVidia fan. I hear things are different now the last couple of years. But I still have a very bad taste in my mouth from those many years of catastrophic ATI driver failures on multiple machines/cards.

I've also never been a fan of the red color scheme present on most ATI cards. Most NVidia cards tend to be black or have the green accents subtle enough to ignore or easily mod away.

Until NVidia drivers take a dive like the earlier ATI drivers, I'm stickin' with good ol' green.

Last edited:
price/performance are my main gripes but i tend to lean towards nvidia first because i never have an issue with their drivers.

I've never owned an ATi card before but only because every time it's time to upgrade nVidia always seems to be on top. However, I'm about to going ATi very soon.

Riva TNT2
Geforce 4 MX440
Geforce 4 TI-4200
Geforce 7900GS
Geforce 8800GTS
Radeon 5850 (soon)
Sweet, I remembered all my videocards.

The question is, are developers going to go for the solution that fits 1 manufacturer's cards ... or the one that works with everyone's?
AMD is working with Bullet Physics which according to ChrisRay, was developed using CUDA. So if it takes off, both can use it and nVidia will code it to take advantage of their HW.

Capitalism has the best product for the money win out amongst its competitors. That's the sole determining factor for me. The product could have a range of performance, features, or price. It's up to the companies how they balance this whether or not I commit with their product for the respective video card generation.

Back