The MP3 Is Officially Dead

I know we say space is unlimited but for people who love music (my wife for example) her phone is already bursting at the seams with apps, pics, and videos let alone adding her extensive music library. 192 VBR is totally fine as long as it's encoded properly and saves a ton of room. If someone is an audiophile and wants to keep uncompressed files on their mechanical hard drive to play back through their DAC and $500 headphones, i totally get it. But for a phone with only 32gb of storage being played back on some $20 earbuds, I think MP3 makes all the sense in the world.

I agree mp3 is good enough quality for most uses. It would just be nice to have the OPTION of getting a higher quality copy of it (other than buying the physical CD/vinyl), and just have better mastering in general on a lot of albums. There are some web stores that offer certain albums in higher quality already, but the selection is very spotty. A lot of the storage limitations on phones can be overcome with microSD flash as well, unless you are stuck in the Apple ecosystem. Not that most audiophile hipster nerds are using their phones for listening to lossless anyway. :)

What exact problem are they talking about here?

"The engineers who developed the MP3 were working with incomplete information about how our brains process sonic information, and so the MP3 itself was working on false assumptions about how holistically we hear. As psychoacoustic research has evolved, so has the technology that we use to listen. New audio formats and products, with richer information and that better address mobile music streaming, are arriving."

And yes, I agree 16bit @ 44.1Khz is more than enough, science proofs it. My signal professor teacher with PhD, said 24bit 96khz was only for audiophiles, and that the end result will not sound better to our ears. Nyquist theorem proofs this.
16bit 44,1 kHz source is fine but if you want to do digital volume control you do want 24bit processing.

What about all the music downloads from Google and Amazon that cost real money and came in MP3 format?

Pay now, can't listen to it later?

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, this just means no NEW licenses will be handed out. Google and Amazon already have theirs, so whatever you get from them will still be fine.

Its not dead. They are just no longer selling licenses - its no longer protected IP, its now open source free to use. Its not DEAD.

Jesus.

The thread's intro is misleading. It's like the thread that boldly proclaimed the NSA no longer spies on Americans. Click bait?
I am the first to admit I did not dig deeply enough to figure out that Google and Amazon will continue to have rights to MP3 decoding. But why is the first post written to make people think the MP3 is now "dead"?
I'm pretty sure they're just opening the license.
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, this just means no NEW licenses will be handed out. Google and Amazon already have theirs, so whatever you get from them will still be fine.
Its not dead. They are just no longer selling licenses - its no longer protected IP, its now open source free to use. Its not DEAD

The thread's intro is misleading. It's like the thread that boldly proclaimed the NSA no longer spies on Americans. Click bait?
I am the first to admit I did not dig deeply enough to figure out that Google and Amazon will continue to have rights to MP3 decoding. But why is the first post written to make people think the MP3 is now "dead"?

Because non-tech savvy people are easily manipulated and because tech "journalists" aren't very good at their jobs. The journalists misunderstand at best and copy-paste at worst and the average consumer of the data doesn't even think to question any of it.

What is the pattern on, and function of, this forum? The mods copy and paste, possibly make the problem worse, and then leave it up to the rest of us to pick up the pieces after the confusion sets in?
The journalists misunderstand at best and copy-paste at worst and the average consumer of the data doesn't even think to question any of it.

I should be clear that not all threads are nearly this bad. This one leads a person to believe that the company that licenses the MP3 codec will cease to allow other companies to use the MP3 codec in the future.

All of my CDs were ripped to FLAC for archival storage/playback on the home entertainment system or household computers. When I need to put music on a device that doesn't understand FLAC, or which is space constrained, dbPowerAmp is versatile (either natively supports, or supports via plugin, just about every audio format), very fast (will fully use multiple cores when encoding), and trivial to use...

FLAC was always a better option than MP3. Audio files have always been small so it is stupid that we don't have everything lossless.
You must be "new" if you think audio files always was small .when mp3 came out people were running 486's and Pentium at you have what maybe 20gigs of space? the diffence between using 300mb og 60mb on an album was huge back then.

I stoped using mp3 as soon as psytell (ivan dimkovich) releaes his AAC encoder.

...unlike this thread that keeps getting resurrected. Ohh... that reminds me. I should find my Zune. It's doo-doo brown.

Back