The most important PC games of the decade

In other words: Here are 25 random games from 2003 to 2019 for clicks. At least they could've listed games actually released between 1 January 2010 and 31 December 2019.

Every year a decade ends, but I have to point out that THE Decade ends next year and not this one. The calendars were created without knowing the concept of zero (this came later from our Arab friends) and thus they all start in the year 1, thus the first Decade was from the year 1-10th, second from 11th to the 20th, so always starting on a year X1 and ending on Y0

Leaving that aside, the list could have been better, but I don't mind, I consider these as useful as Top 10s, I mean if they would define a way to objectively define the influence in the industry that would have been peachy.

Pure BS, probably had to do something end of year to legitimize the paycheck he/she is making

where's Metro ?

Saw the Fortnite image and immediately closed the tab. Up yours, PC Gamer.

Lol, the most popular game in the world for 2+ years, available on all platforms, with the most aggressive content delivery schedule ever seen... And you want them to skip it on an important games of the decade list? It's not a best games of the decade list.

Epic's update schedule alone makes Fortnite worthy of the list as it set an impossibly high bar that other online service games would be compared to.

Lol. Fortnite is NOT on the list, only mentioned as being influenced by ... edt: wth, it is on there... (page 2). I would agree that this doesn't need to be on the list along with pubg... basically the same thing.

Far Cry 3?

It redefined the entire FC franchise and is, what I consider, to be the new "first" game of the series.

4 was cool. 5 is utterly amazing.

Far Cry 3,4,5 are just reskins of landscape/characters/dialogue/story of Far Cry 2 (with better graphics each time). Far Cry 2 came out in the previous decade. None of those would really apply as "most important pc game of the last decade".

Thread is a lot of whining because "my favorite game isn't listed!".

Hint: It's not a list of the best or most popular, but most important and influential.

Hint2: Any list of games is opinion based, and different games mean different things to different people. On top of that, there's so much glut to the market, that there is no way someone could play everything to even be able to form an opinion based on all available data/experience. This means shit's going to get overlooked. It's not your team vs some other team, get over it.

team fortress.... eh?

How is a remake of a 1996 mod so important?

team fortress.... eh?

I would think it's because the Mann Co update, released in September of 2010, made people accept the idea of paid lootboxes. Damn you, Valve!

team fortress.... eh?

It was a sequel from 2007, not a remake, but they decided to include it as part of this list since Valve's decision to make the game free to play happened in 2011.

Lol. Fortnite is NOT on the list, only mentioned as being influenced by ... edt: wth, it is on there... (page 2). I would agree that this doesn't need to be on the list along with pubg... basically the same thing.

Valve's decision to go F2P while providing frequent updates to the game apparently made the game 12x more profitable than with the traditional sale model. Years later, this is exactly what Epic has been doing with Fortnite, but on a much crazier scale for experimentation and a far more aggressive update schedule. Whether you like the game or not, it's clearly the most successful game of the past few years.

Now look at a dev like Blizzard and their game Overwatch: a big portion of OW was "inspired" by TF2, yet they can barely scrape together updates for their game to save their lives. They've sold loot boxes for the entire time the game has been out, even though you buy the game itself up front, yet community engagement is low and it can go 6+ months without adjusting balance regardless of the state of the game. If I was comparing places to spend my gaming money, the amount of content being delivered to Fortnite - including cosmetics and game modes, weapons, events, etc. - makes Blizzard look like a bunch of deadbeats, and the same could be said for Path Of Exile vs Diablo 3.

Back