The most immersive game for you?

Doom 3, no joke.

Yeah, that's a real close runner-up for me. I made a point of only playing in the dark. I took it to the point I'd put more stuff up against my blinds to really seal the light out. I think immersion is one aspect of Doom 3 that is widely underrated.

MGS2

It was really more about my take on playing it at the time than it being a tremendously immersive game, though.

I was also tremendously into KOTOR the first time I played it.

Oblivion, Silent Hill, and Mafia were/are really immersive to me. Oblivion is just so open-ended, Silent Hill really sucks you in and scares the shit out of you, and Mafia captures the 1930s perfectly (and it's a great game to boot)

Simulators tend to be very immersive as well (esp if you have a joystick/wheel). Like Flight Simulator X, or Live For Speed.

AvP 1 and 2, playing as the Colonial Marine, both had me white knuckled and heart thumping. The single greatest contributing factor to that condition was the motion tracker.

*blip*...*blip*...*blip*

No other game has replicated that feat.

AvP2 wins most immersive FPS game, hands down. But there is an equivalent in another genre. . . Silent Hunter 3. When you're creeping along in silent running, sonar pinging remorselessly through the hull, destroyer screws audible even without hydrophones, the sub making horrendous groaning, creaking noises as you try to get one more meter of depth out of it without imploding as depth charges go off in close proximity . . . gaming just doesn't get more intense than that.

Especially since it's a classic Ubisoft game, and if you die it's likely to corrupt all your savegames and cost you an entire campaign with a few hundred hours of gameplay invested :p

I have to add Metal Gear Solid 4 into my list now. Just played through the first act and I felt like I was in a warzone the whole time. The 5.1 sound is amazing and really accurate, the graphics are really really good, gameplay is top notch, and enemy reacts amazingly well. This game is a winner.

As I grew older, immersiveness became harder and harder to find because of the loss of childhood imagination. Games back like like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Wing Commander were insanely immersive to me.

But in more objective recent history, STALKER and X3 Reunion.
ssjeremyng053108015215loo1.jpg

wallapaper2ut1.jpg

AS A RULE - NO 3rd PERSON GAME CAN BE IMMERSIVE (for myself).
3rd Person Gaming makes you disembodied outside and behind your character with an arbitrary camera. I only enjoy gaming when I can live inside my character and see through his/her eyes vicariously. Therefore as a rule, 3rd person games are rarely ever fun.

I love the graphics in X3 but it has the most dauntingly complex interface of any game I've tried to play.

But in more objective recent history, STALKER and X3 Reunion. <snip>

that's the best screenshot of STALKER i've seen yet. are you using a mod? if so please give me the link, it may be enough to provoke me to actually finish that game.

edit: NM i just saw your comments in the Oblivion Lost mod thread. I'll give it a shot tonight after work.

AvP2 wins most immersive FPS game, hands down. But there is an equivalent in another genre. . . Silent Hunter 3. When you're creeping along in silent running, sonar pinging remorselessly through the hull, destroyer screws audible even without hydrophones, the sub making horrendous groaning, creaking noises as you try to get one more meter of depth out of it without imploding as depth charges go off in close proximity . . . gaming just doesn't get more intense than that.

Especially since it's a classic Ubisoft game, and if you die it's likely to corrupt all your savegames and cost you an entire campaign with a few hundred hours of gameplay invested :p

After playing SH4, SH3's graphics just can't do it for me. Even the Grey Wolves mod can only do so much.

Halo 2 I got fully involved in a couple of years ago. Online that is... a lot of pressure and stress when your rank is on the line.

But for PC games... Crysis in an action way but the Witcher in the way of making decisions and things, I'm playing it at the moment and that aspect of it is great.

Looks like I may have to add Mass Effect and Oblivion to my list of games. [I have heard so many good things of Oblivion just never had time for it]

AvP 1 and 2, playing as the Colonial Marine, both had me white knuckled and heart thumping. The single greatest contributing factor to that condition was the motion tracker.

*blip*...*blip*...*blip*

No other game has replicated that feat.

Dude...yes. I particularly loved playing Deathmatch with my friends. They'd all play aliens and preds and couldn't stand that I'd mop the floor with them playing straight soldier rifle/grenade launcher. Lead with a grenade finish with machine gun. Drove em crazy(Especially my predalien buddy). It was harder than they thought though...I had to find the grenades cause you only had one when you start.

Baldurs Gate is my ultimate immersion. I'm still kind of pissed. I never beat it. My grandfather was so upset that I was playing it so much he had forbidden me from using the computer the files were on and also wouldn't let me retrieve them.

Also CoD2...storming normandy. I felt like I was really there it was so frightfully intense, even after dying over and over each death made it all the more intense and amazingly...without frustration.

I would put Oblivion on the list except the immersion is ruined by two things.

1. You have to load almost everywhere you go and this can take forever. You just want to go into the next building or another room...Load. The loadscreens are also terrible. I replaced mine with a mod that gave me more variety and good quotes to read while loading. It's like going to the bathroom, you need good reading material...except Oblivion makes you goto the bathroom hundreds of times a day.

2. A game of over 500 characters and they are all voiced by the same 4 voice actors. TERRIBLE. Nothing could be worse. And they are terrible voice actors to boot and have the most annoying grating voices. Any immersion is destroyed when you hear the same voice and same line over and over and over again.

2. A game of over 500 characters and they are all voiced by the same 4 voice actors. TERRIBLE. Nothing could be worse. And they are terrible voice actors to boot and have the most annoying grating voices. Any immersion is destroyed when you hear the same voice and same line over and over and over again.

seriously. They must have been on a tight budget or something from paying picard to lend his voice. but still I would have just gotten people from around the office to do voices, lol. it would have at least been variety.

LOL I couldn't finish Doom3. I got tho the part where some guy tells you to go check something out in the dark and I was like no way! The shit I have seen already! You go! Other than that I think all of the COD games so far have been like that for me. In COD2, in the Russian campaign and the bastard gives you some bullets and no gun. I was like WTF Chuck? Am I supposed to throw them at the enemy? Because of that game I actually own a Finish model M-9130 Mosen Nagant! Awesome riffle. Leaves giant holes in things from far far away. In the game of course you use a Russian model. In real life those aren't the most accurate weapons.
Honorable mentions are.
HL
HL2
Hitman(another one of my favorites)
EQ(Don't stone me here. With the right character that needs no group to survive I enjoy it.)

OOh forgot one! Wing Commander IV with Mark Hammel and other good actors. That game was a blast!!!

BallerX you gotta finish Doom3, the parts where you are in Hell near the end... awesome :) Maybe even see if you can download a savegame somewhere.

How were the first few Hitman games? I only played the last 2 (I think it was the last 2... Contracts and Blood Money I believe).

Mechwarrior 2 by far, my frined had a high speed home network run in his place, back when network cards were ridiculous expensive and were connected with BNC coaxial cable/connectors, we were doing lan parties back them with a pc in each room so there was no over the shoulder peeking

great times:D:cool:

Most immersive would definitely be WoW. Reading trade channel chat makes me feel like I'm really in my parents' basement.

I have to add Mass Effect. ...never thought Id give the "most immersive" prize to a 3rd person RPG...

The characters in this game were really believable and alive. Solid story and beautiful artwork through and through.

First it was Zelda OOC... got into that game heavy when it came out. That eventually lead to..

Everquest, which consumed a 2 years of my life. I rushed home from HS to play and couldn't wait for the evening raid to be called. I'm playing the free play until July25th... got into my first group last night in BOT and it took me back to the old days.

Lastly the Half-life series. I remember playing HL, Opposing force and then Blue shift. I was fascinated with the connections and the weaving of storyline. I was big into the rumors of "Half-Life: Black ops" and the ability to play the black op people. I still consider this one of the best single player games ever.

I also got into KOTOR and Fable lost chapters when I played those. I still play WoW off and on but only because I stopped playing during the semester twice a year. But when I get back into it its like "oh ya this is so cool.. pew pew", which turns into the same old shitty daily quest grind because I only have an hour to play. Being casual = the suck.

Mechwarrior 2 by far, my frined had a high speed home network run in his place, back when network cards were ridiculous expensive and were connected with BNC coaxial cable/connectors, we were doing lan parties back them with a pc in each room so there was no over the shoulder peeking

great times:D:cool:

Yeah MW2 was great fun :) I remember thinking the intro video to that was the coolest thing ever.

System Shock 2. I can still remember hearing the ghosts and then seeing the ghost the first time. Shocked my heart into skipping a beat. To me they did everything perfect on this game. music, story, and gameplay.
The original COD single player. I remembered the joy looking at everything, and playing for the different countries. unique. Made me feel like a part of the timeline.

I would like to add the half life series but to me they ruined HL1 when it went to the other world. Felt more like Qbert. HL2 got to be repetative specially with the boat. I hated that level.

AvP2 was the single scariest game I have ever played. I had to stop playing in the dark because of this one :D

Yeah come to think of it, AVP2 probably had me the most wound up of any gaming experience. One of the few games I actually had to play in short sessions, because the feeling of fear during the marine campaign was too much to handle for very long.

xcom ufo defense. keep in mind it's top down AND turn based yet still would keep me on the edge of my seat.

Counter -Strike: Source...

need I say more?

no thanks. :p

The Legend of Dragoon on PSX was very immersive as well. Turning into a Dragoon for the first time was like "NICE!!!!!!!!". Plus the combat system got you real involved in each move in battles.

resident evil (one of the original ones) when the zombies start to chase you. eh! :D

Half Lifes
America's Army
Gran Turismos
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye
World In Conflict

Counter -Strike: Source...

need I say more?

Somehow, I didn't expect that game to get on this list... :confused:

My picks... Fallout Series, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Max Payne (1), Oblivion and Stalker.

Guys, if you don't have System Shock 2 or Deus Ex on your list, I presume you haven't played them. Bestest gameses evar11. (imho) Play them now!

Back