The Most Hated Company in Tech

Also I am of the opinion they really did steal android from Oracle and Apple, and while I know thats not a popular opinion around here, I do have it. So they are pretty goddamn huge thieves too in my mind.

I just don't see how you can say that.

They wrote all their own code.

They based it on linux

What aspect of it did they steal? That its mobile and is designed as a touch screen interface?

I'ts kind of ridiculous.

You also forget that Apple's iPhone came out in 2007, Android was first released a year later in 2008.

It takes YEARS to develop these things. It's not like Google could have seen iOS in 2007 and decided to copy it. It was most definitely underway for several years before the iOS release. At worst you can say that they were developing similar systems at the same time, and Apple came out with their version faster...

I'm surprised by the lack of GoDaddy. They are a terrible company. Oracle is really crappy too.

Zarathustra[H];1039064536 said:
I just don't see how you can say that.

They wrote all their own code.

They based it on linux

What aspect of it did they steal? That its mobile and is designed as a touch screen interface?

I'ts kind of ridiculous.

You also forget that Apple's iPhone came out in 2007, Android was first released a year later in 2008.

It takes YEARS to develop these things. It's not like Google could have seen iOS in 2007 and decided to copy it. It was most definitely underway for several years before the iOS release. At worst you can say that they were developing similar systems at the same time, and Apple came out with their version faster...

Android was a Blackberry clone until 2006, when Schmidt saw the iPhone. Suddenly after that it was all about touchscreen interface. Schmidt saw iPhone and told his team to copy out.

Theres no law against it, but I dont like it.

Android was a Blackberry clone until 2006, when Schmidt saw the iPhone. Suddenly after that it was all about touchscreen interface. Schmidt saw iPhone and told his team to copy out.

Theres no law against it, but I dont like it.

That's not stealing. That's just being a competitor.

If that is stealing, then every 4 wheeled car is stealing from the original 4 wheeled vehicle.

Every desktop would be stealing from the first commercially successful non-kit computer the Commodore PET.

Every portable computer would be stealing from the IBM 5100...

The patent laws (which often seem to be ignored) get it right.

In order for an idea to be protected it has to be useful, novel, and non-obvious.

Apple did not invent the concept of putting a touch screen on a mobile device. That would be IBM, with their 1994 Simon Personal Communicator.

323px-IBM_Simon_Personal_Communicator.png

Not to mention sonys designs that predate the iPhone...

screen-shot-2012-07-26-at-3-11-00-pm.png

In every single artists rendition of the future, be it Star Trek, or 2001 a Space Odyssey a touch screen based tablet like device has been seen as the wave of the future.

The mobile world was moving in this direction with or without Apple. Apple just happened to have the first truly successful device of the variety.

The iPhone was evolutionary in that regard, not revolutionary (you can't always take everything Jobs said as fact), and other manufacturers were evolving in the same direction at the same time.

Here's what some concepts looked like on Star Trek, well before the iPhone or iPad..

1987:
sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

1995:
sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

Apples iPhone and iPad were just as derivative ideas as most of the stuff the company has come out with over its life.

Zarathustra[H];1039064725 said:
1987:
sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

1995:
sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

Apples iPhone and iPad were just as derivative ideas as most of the stuff the company has come out with over its life.

Whoops. Copy and paste error. This was supposed to be the second image:

sisko_padd.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1039064725 said:
That's not stealing. That's just being a competitor.

If that is stealing, then every 4 wheeled car is stealing from the original 4 wheeled vehicle.

Every desktop would be stealing from the first commercially successful non-kit computer the Commodore PET.

Every portable computer would be stealing from the IBM 5100...

The patent laws (which often seem to be ignored) get it right.

In order for an idea to be protected it has to be useful, novel, and non-obvious.

Apple did not invent the concept of putting a touch screen on a mobile device. That would be IBM, with their 1994 Simon Personal Communicator.

323px-IBM_Simon_Personal_Communicator.png

Not to mention sonys designs that predate the iPhone...

screen-shot-2012-07-26-at-3-11-00-pm.png

In every single artists rendition of the future, be it Star Trek, or 2001 a Space Odyssey a touch screen based tablet like device has been seen as the wave of the future.

The mobile world was moving in this direction with or without Apple. Apple just happened to have the first truly successful device of the variety.

The iPhone was evolutionary in that regard, not revolutionary (you can't always take everything Jobs said as fact), and other manufacturers were evolving in the same direction at the same time.

Here's what some concepts looked like on Star Trek, well before the iPhone or iPad..

1987:
sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

1995:
sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

I agree with most of that. I do think the iPhone like interface and device was largely inevitable. I DO however believe Apple legitimately got there first, building it before others though it was possible. And I believe Google only had an answer in Android as quick as they did as they had a solid 18 months of pre-release copying they could do.

And I remember WinMo touch phones before the iPhone.. the iPhone wasn't first to anything besides making smartphones popular to the average joe.

I agree with most of that. I do think the iPhone like interface and device was largely inevitable. I DO however believe Apple legitimately got there first, building it before others though it was possible. And I believe Google only had an answer in Android as quick as they did as they had a solid 18 months of pre-release copying they could do.

I guess, the way I feel about it is as follows.

Apple did make it there first. Well, at least they made it there first with a device that actually worked well.

Once you have decided that
a) you are going to make a flat panel touch screen device, and
b) you want it to do many things a computer can do

where Apple wound up is natural progression.

I mean, how much different could a device that launches apps by clicking on icons on a touch screen reasonably be? Should everyone just not make touchscreen smart phones because Apple succeeded in launching theirs first?

What if we took this approach with cars. There would only be one brand today, because somoene had the bold idea to put 4 wheels on a motorized carriage first.

There are some small things that I think are outright copying by Samsung, like S-Voice, being a blatant (and poorly executed) ripoff of Siri, for instance.

If that had been what the current lawsuits were about, I would have conceded to Apple.

The truth is, they really can't reasonably expect to stop anyone from making a rounded rectangular device with a touch screen. It's not copying, it just makes sense.

I'm surprised by the lack of GoDaddy. They are a terrible company. Oracle is really crappy too.

Even worse than 1&1? I hate 1&1 with a passion, after having personally dealt with their underhanded tactics. GoDaddy I haven't though.

They buy up patents (usually from bankrupt companies) and then sue people who inadvertently stumble on to them. They produce nothing and contribute nothing to society, certainly nothing to justify violating people's rights by giving them patent protection (I have yet to see tangible evidence of the benefit of a patent system).

The chemical industry benefits from patents. Chemicals are well defined, there isn't the ambiguity.

For almost everything else, society would be better off without patents.

Intellectual Ventures LLC spends a lot of money paying off politicians. http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000022044&year=2012

Zarathustra[H];1039068394 said:
I have no problem with that list other than that I would order it differently, and Google and Valve wouldn't be on mine, as I admire those companies.

I admire Google too, but in the same way people are impressed that a famous person like Lindsey Lohan is able to get away with so much even though a normal person wouldn't have gotten similar treatment.

I only put Valve on it because I have insider information regarding the fact that they're violating the rights of their employees and are getting away with it because most labor laws don't apply to zombies.

I only put Valve on it because I have insider information regarding the fact that they're violating the rights of their employees and are getting away with it because most labor laws don't apply to zombies.

What kind of rights?

Zarathustra[H];1039068568 said:
What kind of rights?

It's that kind of thinking that is going to upset the zombies and cause an uprising by the end of the year. Don't blame me when the Mayans are all like, "We told you so, but you just blamed it on the two dozen Spaniards in silly hats wiping out our empire as the reason we stopped making updates to our calendar," because I'll have left the planet to live in Canada where there's still a few people working for RIM and lots of oil in the sand.

Zarathustra[H];1039062250 said:
Pizza Hut is a company in tech?

There are a few companies on your list I admire..

For me the most hated in tech are as follows:

Apple >> Oracle > AT&T Wireless > Comcast > Verizon Wireless > EA > Intel > Probably something I've forgotten...

Well, as long as you don't hate everyone. Oh wait. :rolleyes:

Back