The Moon is Getting 4G Coverage

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Reuters is reporting that Vodaphone and Nokia are teaming up to put the first mobile phone network on the moon next year. The reason? Unfortunately not a theme park (yet), but to stream high-definition video from the lunar landscape back to earth. Nokia is developing space-grade 4G networking hardware that weighs less than a bag of sugar ,and is scheduled to be launched on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in 2019.

I'm just gonna say, I have to use one of those "mobile Hotspots" to get 4g at my house over my internet. The moon will have better cell service than my house.

One executive involved said the decision to build a 4G network rather a state-of-the-art 5G network was taken because the next generation networks remain in the testing and trial stage and are not stable enough to ensure they would work from the lunar surface.

Last edited:
Just think, I bet the chances of tower saturation because of too many users trying to use a single tower will be non-existent on the moon. All of that beautiful bandwidth will belong to only the select few astronauts that get sent there.

Wait.... No one goes to the moon anymore I thought....

I wonder if it's running on T-Mobile so they can claim to have the biggest cellular network on the moon....

I bet the ISP/Cable/Cell companies are already talking to their pal Pai about this.

All that green cheese eliminates cell hell, or sol I'm told. Now if only they could give us decent coverage right here on planet Earth. I get ok coverage, just down the street...nada.

Meanwhile Verizon has stupidly small data caps and doesn't deliver anywhere near actual 4g speeds here on earth..in major cities. Oh and lets not forget that they intentionally throttle the data speeds on older non contract phones to try and force people to upgrade.

This is pretty freaking cool.

BTW the link is broken, I had to go through the news page on HardOCP to find it.

Latency is really going to suck when you're a couple light-seconds away just to begin with.

WOW.. talk about incredibly light.. on details

Im taking it will be a space based network orbiting the moon. And if so, it would be nice to be able to also use it as a GPS system on the moon.

Back