The Mini Van Custom Mechanical Keyboard

yoyo0221

Gawd
Massdrop: Bringing Enthusiasts Together

iIDVSLZ.jpg

Pretty sweet keyboard if you like the 40% size. Currently $149.99 but drops to $139.99 for everyone if 1000 units are met

I'm in for one.

WTF...please tell me this thing is capable of typing numerical characters and special symbols by using a modifier key. There's no mention of that on the product page and I'm not up for sifting through 52 pages of comments...

Thought I'd share guys....don't kill the messenger. If it's not your thing then that's cool.

How could you use a keyboard that's missing so many keys for anything? This is a serious question, I'm not trolling you. That has less keys than the keyboard cover I have for my Pixel C and I have trouble with that.

Looks like 2 modifier function layers near the space bar so there's your other keys. Also appears to be fully programmable pcb.

Last edited:
Thought I'd share guys....don't kill the messenger. If it's not your thing then that's cool.

Thanks for the post but this looks pretty bad for gaming and office applications. This thing would seriously cut down on productivity. Who exactly is the target audience for this product?

Looks like a fun toy, wonder if you could have this paired up with another keyboard.

How long before we see a keyboard that is just a space bar?

Lol

No, a half size space bar and a function/modifier key beside of it for all the other characters. But it's fully programmable so don't worry about losing functionality!

Are the keys made out of ivory... this is the worst "hot deal" i've ever seen on here.

Everyone commenting on something they clearly have no experience or understanding of, and also surprising considering hardforum is for enthusiasts. There's more out there and different options than Cooler master key boards, people. The minivan is a kit, you get the PCB, case, choice of keys, keycaps, etc. and solder it together. If you don't like the 40%, fine, but as enthusiasts of computers, you'd think there would at least be some mutual respect for enthusiasts of keyboards. You don't really get to hand solder and customize any other components for your computer. There's other sizes you can solder up yourself. Personally really like 60-65% keyboards. Check it out. Please quit being such hate mongers all the time.

Everyone commenting on something they clearly have no experience or understanding of, and also surprising considering hardforum is for enthusiasts. There's more out there and different options than Cooler master key boards, people. The minivan is a kit, you get the PCB, case, choice of keys, keycaps, etc. and solder it together. If you don't like the 40%, fine, but as enthusiasts of computers, you'd think there would at least be some mutual respect for enthusiasts of keyboards. You don't really get to hand solder and customize any other components for your computer. There's other sizes you can solder up yourself. Personally really like 60-65% keyboards. Check it out. Please quit being such hate mongers all the time.

Amen. I have a homemade 65%ish keyboard that can be a pain in the ass because I either didn't map all the keys in the firmware or forgot what layer I put things on. But it's still cool because I made the layout, cut it with my laser cutter, soldered it all together in a matrix, and modified the firmware to make it exactly how I wanted. You would think doing this sort of thing would be right up anyone's alley that reads this forum....Making Stuff Together! for anyone that's interested

Thanks for the post but this looks pretty bad for gaming and office applications. This thing would seriously cut down on productivity. Who exactly is the target audience for this product?

It's attached to a Macbook so take a guess.

LOL I laugh at the hypocrisy of criticism here for a generally small group of mechanical keyboard enthusiast. These keyboards do have plenty of function beneath them. They are programmed in a way in which everything on a full size keyboard is accessible by toggling between layers. It's rather impressive how quick people can be on these little guys. As for the price, well because it's a specialty product and not regularly mass produced. The website that makes these sends out a custom order in batches to a factory which produces the parts and unfortunately the cost is rather high for anything custom made not to mention the freight shipping charges to send these from China. Now there is a keyboard manufacturer that is now starting to dive into the 40% keyboard market and will be releasing a reasonably priced one soon straight from their factory so unless you fall into this niche category of users I don't recommend buying one at this price. I'd love to see how you guys react to $200 keycaps.

Just remember, you're on a forum which encourages spending $1200 on a graphics card.

I was really tempted to get one of these - I'm using a KUL 75% keyboard right now - it's on a KVM switch (work and home PC) and I would use this little guy to let me IM on my home PC without having to switch back and forth constantly. It looks perfect, but it's just more than I want to spend on a 2nd keyboard right now...

A full-size with keys like that would be cool, but no way I'm spending [shift][super]R[/shift]QRP[/super] on a keyboard with no numbers.

How could you use a keyboard that's missing so many keys for anything? This is a serious question, I'm not trolling you. That has less keys than the keyboard cover I have for my Pixel C and I have trouble with that.

Obviously because you use modifiers for anything. In real life your hand will not move for anything... so if you have some decent muscle memory you can type really fast with those. Sure, if you are sub-50wpm then a keyboard like this makes no sense at all because you are basically looking at the keyboard when you type, and thus can't ever use a keyboard with function layers.

A full-size with keys like that would be cool, but no way I'm spending [shift][super]R[/shift]QRP[/super] on a keyboard with no numbers.

You can get those keycaps separately :) They are called "GRANITE" and are, in my opinion, the best set ever made. They are pbt dye-sub, although for those that are ocd the keycaps aren't perfectly aligned.

TaDnb8h.jpg

A picture of my own. Granite keyset on a Poker 2 mx red.

The thing with numbers is that it actually depends on whether you use them or not. If you don't use them a lot it makes no sense to have them. Of course, if input numbers all day long then yes, you need a numpad. So you either own a full size keyboard or have a numpad separately.

---

In any case, I'm very surprised. The point of this is not to make a useless keyboard that is "cool". The point of this is to own and use a keyboard that is as small as possible whilst being able to operate normally. Isn't being an enthusiast to be an extremist? Isn't using a keyboard with less than 1/3 of the keys and function normally to be an enthusiast? It is. Keyboards like this aren't gimmicks.

A gimmick, honestly, is a full size keyboard, at least for most people. I know I type quicker on a 60% (like my picture) than on any 75% I have owned. Of course you need to learn a bit first, but it is just more natural because the hand doesn't move at all while typing.

So many haters here. Do some research before crapping all over it first maybe?

There are layers with alternate functions. It can do anything a full size can do, you just have to learn and remember them. Is it the most practical thing ever? Probably not, but for some it's a way of life.

I thought I was going to have a seizure laughing so [H[ard at the comments. Still hyperventilating! :) :) You guys made my month!

On a serious note I think I might try a 60% keyboard. That Poker 2 MX Red that prava linked looks interesting.

Back