The Microsoft Mustang Concept Car

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft had a custom 1967 Mustang outfitted with all kinds of Microsoft tech...including a Kinect in the tail lights. Personally, I love the idea but, as a classic muscle car owner myself, I am horrified by the LED-lit monstrosity that we see here.

I love mustangs, that being said, there was only one thing i could think of when i saw it.

81751531.jpg

As an owner of a 69' Mach1, and previously 67' fastback, I die a little inside everytime I see crap like this. However, nothing beats this abortion of a car.

I love classic cars as well and I think its ok to mod them out crazy like as long as they arnt an "SS" model or something similar or a limited production number. No harm no foul if you dont wreck a good oldie:D

For myself and not particularly liking classic cars, i think that looks awesome.

However i agree on that one link Big2al posted, that is quite hideous.

You can see the partial logo of Microsoft in the bottom, right corner of the grill. <shudder>. As already said, the LEDs gotta go. I hate blue LEDs on my computer fans, what makes ya think I want blue LEDs on my car?!

This is a 2012 Mustang with an aftermarket 1967 body fitted to it, not a genuine '67 Mustang. Makes it slightly less annoying.

For myself and not particularly liking classic cars, i think that looks awesome.

However i agree on that one link Big2al posted, that is quite hideous.

Agreed, but it's a still a far ways from where it came from
3.JPG

Hrmmm...

Ditch the lights, put on the old Bullitt rims (18" front, 20" rear), throw on the IRS rear from an 03 Cobra and a Roush charger and I'm sold :)

I think it's the front grill that really kinda pushes it over the edge. But the fact that it got to that point from virtually nothing is still awesome.

This is a 2012 Mustang with an aftermarket 1967 body fitted to it, not a genuine '67 Mustang. Makes it slightly less annoying.

Exactly, they didn't mess up a precious old car to make this one.

My question is, why can't tech like this be incognito. I'd enjoy a car like this if the screens/lights/extra crap was all hidden and only came out when that accessory was turned on. Would make it a much better car.

Exactly, they didn't mess up a precious old car to make this one.

My question is, why can't tech like this be incognito. I'd enjoy a car like this if the screens/lights/extra crap was all hidden and only came out when that accessory was turned on. Would make it a much better car.

A sleeper tech car would certainly be more appealing. But this is easier to market because of "Ooh, shiny" syndrome.

Mustangs are ugly as fuck anyway.

the leds make it look semi decent.

That is why the new knight rider sucked so bad kitt was a ugly ass mustang.

/\ So much for the next generation of cultured youth... The future is grey and uninspired.

If you can't see the beauty in a classic car like a Mustang or a Barracuda, then maybe the problem lies within yourself?

Blue needs to get replaced with red.

Do anyone else find blue lights bother their eyes?

Same here, what bothers me most is those damn HID blue lights that some people have. Those need to be illegal. They're very dangerous because of their temporary blinding effect.

And wait, a MS car? All the "If Ms made cars" jokes may become a reality. :D

Same here, what bothers me most is those damn HID blue lights that some people have. Those need to be illegal. They're very dangerous because of their temporary blinding effect.

And wait, a MS car? All the "If Ms made cars" jokes may become a reality. :D

Blue HID's are illegal according to the DOT. I think its just hard to enforce as the DOT rules go by color temperature... which is probably hard for a cop or an inspection station to measure.

There are only a few cars that can pull off the flat clearcoat/vinyl coating look. This is not one of them.

As an owner of a 69' Mach1, and previously 67' fastback, I die a little inside everytime I see crap like this. However, nothing beats this abortion of a car.

Rear end of that thing makes me think, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK, MARTY! BACK...TO THE FUTURE!"

Add double-bonus douche-points if they're installed in a reflector housing, not aligned properly, and the vehicle is a lifted truck. Oh, and 9 out of 10 ten times when you see one of these guys they're right on your ass, too.

There's also the HIDs that come in purple/pink varieties. I can't fathom why cars on the road with these installed are allowed on the road.

New mustangs are ugly as heck. The '67 fastback was a beautiful machine.

Makes me want to buy an iPad. What an abomination to a classic car.

Clearly designed by the Metro team.

Did Chris Bangler go to work for Microsoft?

the word FUGLY comes to mind. You don't do that to an old car. Makes me want to go buy a [insert droid tablet here].

Well thats your opinion. Personally mustangs are bad ass cars. Performance of a M3 and almost half the cost.

Awesome interior. I agree about the LED lights though. I love high tech cars but I hate when they go overboard and consider bling to be high tech.

How many times a day does it BSOD?

Make fun of it as you will, but Sync is one of the greatest things to come to Ford. In 3 years of ownership I have not had one problem with it, and I use it daily.

Make fun of it as you will, but Sync is one of the greatest things to come to Ford. In 3 years of ownership I have not had one problem with it, and I use it daily.

Thats bullshit. There were numerous problems with the 12 Focus and Sync Mytouch. 08-09 users were abandoned without updates to issues like USB dropped connection etc. because there isn't a Sync update in sight because Sync 3.0 requires certain hardware features that can't be supported by 2.0.

Still I will say Sync is badass technology. The recognition for commands is better than I thought it would be.

Overall, the appearance is not too bad. You have to remember that the lights behind the wheels and front grill are there just for car shows. Personally, I don't like the wheels but the rest of it looks alright.

Back