The Matrix 4K Blu-ray Announced

It is a shame that even DVD is looking rubbish in comparison to HD/UHD.
A trick I noticed in the transition of tape>DVD>BD and then later UHD was to try and keep a display on hand for the oldest and of one for the newest. Keeping them well matched at least can create a watchable illusion. The chips providing the upscale can have a huge impact on the final quality too.

Our 55" HiSense looks awesome for 4k HDR but totally sucks for anything else. Meanwhile our older LG 4k(non HDR) 3d 55" looks incredible for anything except HDR. The LG seriously upscales amazingly well. Our new Optoma UHD60 projector looks great for 4k HDR and most BD but not so much with DVD but then our EPSON 3010 makes just about anything look good. I know we have too many displays but I really enjoy rotting my mind with eye candy and good beer!

I'll probably bite, too. The original Matrix was one of the best Dolby Digital 5.1 showcases when it came out. My local Circuit City must had sold dozens of surround-systems just from the lobby shootout alone. It'll be interesting to see what Atmos brings to the table. Visuals-wise, I just hope it's clean looking and not a sloppy upscale job. I'm always amazed how good the various remastered versions of the Blues Brothers look and sound, and that movie was made in 1979. I consider it the gold standard for this sort of thing.

Had a friend that had a digital VCR towards the end of the format and I was pretty impressed at the quality.

They actually had a DVD quality VHS towards the end of VHS's life. That must have been what you saw. Super-VHS or S-VHS.

Now that the matrix is 4k will less batteries realize it is fake?

Can I get moved to the power grid built around a fantasy world?

Might pick it up.

This is good news. Thanks for reminding me that somewhere, I have the Matrix trilogy on Blu-ray, that I can't seem to find but would love to re-watch for the umpteenth time.

I guess I'm just a Luddite, but Blu-ray is fine for me. :p

Yeah, but the current The Matrix Blu Ray is ancient. (2008) The early first gen BDs were plagued with inconsistent quality, lower bitrates and mastering processes that could've stood some policing. Some discs were mere upconversions of existing video masters instead of 2k/4k scans of the original film/media. You're still getting 1920x1080, just not the best 1920x1080 possible.

When I bought Blade Runner Final Cut ten years ago, I thought that was the last version Blade I'd ever buy. But it's a low-bitrate (17 Mbps) VC-1 encode. It was the best they could do at the time. But *good* BD encodes average 25-35 Mbps now.

Yeah, but the current The Matrix Blu Ray is ancient. (2008) The early first gen BDs were plagued with inconsistent quality, lower bitrates and mastering processes that could've stood some policing. Some discs were mere upconversions of existing video masters instead of 2k/4k scans of the original film/media. You're still getting 1920x1080, just not the best 1920x1080 possible.

When I bought Blade Runner Final Cut ten years ago, I thought that was the last version Blade I'd ever buy. But it's a low-bitrate (17 Mbps) VC-1 encode. It was the best they could do at the time. But *good* BD encodes average 25-35 Mbps now.

Similar to the situation with the DVD, then. Damn. I'm good with 1080P, but I'd like it to be well mastered 1080P.

Are they mastering it slightly green to compensate for the usual 'blueness' of LED backlighting? Movies on my old cathode backlit LCD are looking a little different now.
Reading into it, they modified this one to make it more consistent with the two sequels. The LOTR films, I have no clue. Apparently, it only affected the first film (which, iirc, was originally an HD-DVD release).

Back