The Mandalorian- new Disney+ Star Wars series

So far I enjoyed the first episode but the CGI just looks out of place. IDK it just sticks out like a sore thumb. Not saying they are bad just IDK.

I liked it, I think they put a lot of stuff in the shows as throwbacks to the original movies. I thought it really set up the next episode well. I like how its still tied to the SW universe, as well as it should be because it bases it characters on Star wars. Not sure why a number of people are mad about it.

It was good, better than expected, the CGI is much better than your typical TV quality. I actually prefer this cgi over the cgi in most big budget movies. But I'm not going to subscribe to disney+ for it, because I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Half+man+half+delorean_bd1132_7393576.jpg

It was good, better than expected, the CGI is much better than your typical TV quality. I actually prefer this cgi over the cgi in most big budget movies. But I'm not going to subscribe to disney+ for it, because I couldn't even if I wanted to.

so you must be outside the USA/Canada?...I don't understand Disney's rollout plan...USA in November but most of the rest of the world is going to have to wait till mid to late 2020 and beyond...why couldn't they just have a worldwide rollout like Apple did for its new streaming service

Disney+ surpasses 10 million subscribers on first day

"Disney signed up more customers in one day than HBO Now, CBS All Access + Showtime, ESPN+, DAZN and Crunchyroll have signed up in the entirety of their existences."

was always expected to be a huge launch but I think these numbers have surpassed even Disney's initial expectations...question is how many will stick around long term...or will a lot of people get their fill of SW, Pixar and Avengers and then unsubscribe...I'm planning on sticking with it at least until Mandalorian finishes up in December...after that it depends on what new content they drop- I doubt the Obi Wan or Cassian Andor series will drop anytime soon

also depends on when Disney releases the SW Complete 4K boxset...right now I own all the movies on Blu-ray but these new 4K transfers are pretty impressive...maybe Disney would be smart to keep it a Disney+ exclusive for at least a year

"Disney signed up more customers in one day than HBO Now, CBS All Access + Showtime, ESPN+, DAZN and Crunchyroll have signed up in the entirety of their existences."

was always expected to be a huge launch but I think these numbers have surpassed even Disney's initial expectations...question is how many will stick around long term...or will a lot of people get their fill of SW, Pixar and Avengers and then unsubscribe...I'm planning on sticking with it at least until Mandalorian finishes up in December...

That is an excellent question, I think the pricing has a lot of "it's only so much" designed into it to justify maintaining a subscription for whenever you feel like using it.

We just bought an LG OLED C9 and I'm loving all the 4K Dolby Vision movies. :O

That is an excellent question, I think the pricing has a lot of "it's only so much" designed into it to justify maintaining a subscription for whenever you feel like using it.

We just bought an LG OLED C9 and I'm loving all the 4K Dolby Vision movies. :O

I also think most people are not going to be subscribing to all these streaming services at the same time anymore...when it was just Netflix, Amazon Video and maybe Hulu people were fine with paying for all 3 every month...but now things are becoming more fragmented and people are going to be choosing one over the other or using Netflix 1 month while cancelling Disney+...then the following month signing back up to Disney and Amazon while removing Netflix etc...it all depends on the original content that is available...that new HBO Max service is also slated to debut in May 2020 which adds another service

I also think most people are not going to be subscribing to all these streaming services at the same time anymore...when it was just Netflix, Amazon Video and maybe Hulu people were fine with paying for all 3 every month...but now things are becoming more fragmented and people are going to be choosing one over the other or using Netflix 1 month while cancelling Disney+...then the following month signing back up to Disney and Amazon while removing Netflix etc...it all depends on the original content that is available...that new HBO Max service is also slated to debut in May 2020 which adds another service

Don't forget, Disney owns Hulu. That could mean something in the future....

How is he watching it? I know that on my tablets I can download the new Disney+ shows as well as on Netflix and Amazon Prime. You might be better served using the smart TV cast option to stream the downloaded show from a phone/tablet. Also handy for trips.
Wait, what? You can save disney+ shows locally? Prime as well?

So what is the time period of this show? I was really confused with the whole "empire hadn't been around" line. Somewhere between Episode 6 and 7? I thought "The First Order" was basically three Empire again

So what is the time period of this show? I was really confused with the whole "empire hadn't been around" line. Somewhere between Episode 6 and 7? I thought "The First Order" was basically three Empire again

5 years after Return of the Jedi

Seem a video of it the other day first time in years I seem very interested.

Damn this looks pretty good but I don't feel like another streaming service. And I like how PlayStation rearranged my TV and video apps putting Disney where Netflix has always been...

so you must be outside the USA/Canada?...I don't understand Disney's rollout plan...USA in November but most of the rest of the world is going to have to wait till mid to late 2020 and beyond...why couldn't they just have a worldwide rollout like Apple did for its new streaming service
Yes, I live in the EU, and every streaming service who uses geoblocking techniques can die in hell as far as I'm concerned. It's not just that it's not even available. Even if it was the library would be much smaller than in the US, for the same or higher prices. I'm not going to subsidize US subscribers. Netflix / Amazon Prime both have much less content on them here than overseas.

They already realized that delaying premiers doesn't work in cinemas. (The Phantom Menace came out 9 months later here) Then why are they doing the same with streaming?

They just want to beat new piracy records I suppose :jimlad:

(really, it has one wondering why they think this is OK to do in 2019)

They just want to beat new piracy records I suppose :jimlad:

(really, it has one wondering why they think this is OK to do in 2019)
I can understand a staggered launch so it doesn't completely bork their servers. Hell there were still server issues at the moment it launched. A year difference is unacceptable in this day and age.

I can understand a staggered launch so it doesn't completely bork their servers. Hell there were still server issues at the moment it launched. A year difference is unacceptable in this day and age.
I could be a thing were the US is the guinea pig and they get everything smoothed out as well. I don't think its going to be a year later.....They did get hammered right away with a larger number than they expected.

was always expected to be a huge launch but I think these numbers have surpassed even Disney's initial expectations...question is how many will stick around long term...or will a lot of people get their fill of SW, Pixar and Avengers and then unsubscribe...I'm planning on sticking with it at least until Mandalorian finishes up in December...after that it depends on what new content they drop- I doubt the Obi Wan or Cassian Andor series will drop anytime soon

also depends on when Disney releases the SW Complete 4K boxset...right now I own all the movies on Blu-ray but these new 4K transfers are pretty impressive...maybe Disney would be smart to keep it a Disney+ exclusive for at least a year
I would like to know how many of these were free accounts (as well as how many Disney purchased themselves like they do movie tickets) they rolled out and how many were legit, day one, signups. It was also supposed to be an ad free platform, that is not the case either from what I have heard. Personally, I have no desire to add yet another streaming platform to those that I use now. This is starting to get a bit ridiculous. The two I use are Amazon for the obvious benefits of shopping there, the 5% back and music streaming in addition to programming content like Jack Ryan (cannot wait for the Expanse) and Netflix only when I want to see a series, then I cancel the sub. I wonder how long they keep their prices reasonable.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is more to do with various laws across the EU. I'm sure Disney is doing it the American way and collecting all sorts of data and what not from every user then selling or using that for advertising, where as in the EU that may be illegal?

Don't forget, Disney owns Hulu. That could mean something in the future....

They already offer a bundle. Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu (basic I assume) for $12.99/month.
I'd go for it but Comcast neuters the internet connection and I couldn't stand Hulu when I tried it earlier this year. Way too many channels were only 30fps and sure didn't look 1080p. I don't recall there being anything in 4K either. It can't compete with Comcast Xfinity 4K DVR for me. (and the remote!)

"Disney signed up more customers in one day than HBO Now, CBS All Access + Showtime, ESPN+, DAZN and Crunchyroll have signed up in the entirety of their existences.

They also offered ludicrously good deals to do this. Like Disney+ and Hulu and ESPN Streaming for less than the cost of Hulu. Or a free year for Verizon Wireless subscribers. Or 3 years prepaid at under 4 bucks a month.

Only time will tell how quickly the viewers fall off, but they will be losing money at those prices. With only one interesting show, it's going to be hard to keep people from completely forgetting about the service for a week (between episodes).

Last edited:
They also offered ludicrously good deals to do this. Like Disney+ and Hulu and ESPN Streaming for less than the cost of Hulu. Or a free year for Verizon Wireless subscribers.

Only time will tell how quickly the viewers fall off, but they will be losing money at those prices. With only one interesting show, it's going to be hard to keep people from completely forgetting about the service for a week (between episodes).

They definitely have more than one interesting show. Mando, World According, and Imgineering are all things I want to watch as they come out. For anyone with kids there are a few kid-based original shows. Then let's not forget the sheer amount of other content on the service. Personally, I'm looking forward to giving the OT a 4K HDR viewing to see how they handled that transfer. Maybe I'll finally get around to watching Cap Marvel as well....Maybe.

Personally, I'm looking forward to giving the OT a 4K HDR viewing to see how they handled that transfer. Maybe I'll finally get around to watching Cap Marvel as well....Maybe.
Yeah I got a 500Mbps connection, so would be curious to how nice it would look, but also because its Xfinity worried about how much data it will use up

Yeah I got a 500Mbps connection, so would be curious to how nice it would look, but also because its Xfinity worried about how much data it will use up

I have a crappy 30Mbps connection but it seems to handle 4K HDR reasonably well. Mando looked pretty good.

It not bad. Better not have a taper-off, to the point i cant watch it like the Punisher did.

So far I enjoyed the first episode but the CGI just looks out of place. IDK it just sticks out like a sore thumb. Not saying they are bad just IDK.
You have to watch in low definition, everything blends so well together at 480p.

Doesn't seem very Star Wars lore sensitive, the Mandalorians if you go by "Old Republic" lore and canon were broken as a civilization back in the destruction of Malachor V, they never existed as a civilization again. The fact that Disney chose this to be at the time of the New Galactic empire seems like Disney Star Wars is hiring the wrong people to inform on their shows. I can see it, Darth Revan somehow appearing in this series about 1000 years out of timeline and Disney using space osmosis theory again.

While it was a decent showing, like Ethan Van Schiver says this is disney and it is only a matter of time before it gets a-woke-ned and goes down the crapper.

Doesn't seem very Star Wars lore sensitive, the Mandalorians if you go by "Old Republic" lore and canon were broken as a civilization back in the destruction of Malachor V, they never existed as a civilization again. The fact that Disney chose this to be at the time of the New Galactic empire seems like Disney Star Wars is hiring the wrong people to inform on their shows. I can see it, Darth Revan somehow appearing in this series about 1000 years out of timeline and Disney using space osmosis theory again.

While it was a decent showing, like Ethan Van Schiver says this is disney and it is only a matter of time before it gets a-woke-ned and goes down the crapper.

The Old Republic lore isn't canon.

Episode 2 was really good but way too short...it was only 32 minutes...I guess looking at the big picture if all 8 episodes are ~30 minutes that means we're pretty much getting a 4+ hour Star Wars movie

Episode 2 was really good but way too short...it was only 32 minutes...I guess looking at the big picture if all 8 episodes are ~30 minutes that means we're pretty much getting a 4+ hour Star Wars movie
as long as each episode includes legacy characters being introduced and behaving completely differently than the character we knew would; as well as a new Mandalorian recruit with a mysterious past who is magically better than the current Mandalorian at everything. In the 7th episode, we are teased that the new Mandalorian for that episode is possibly related to Sabine. The recruit then dies un-spectacularly in the first battle of Episode 8.
That way I will truly feel like each episode is its own Star Wars movie.

as long as each episode includes legacy characters being introduced and behaving completely differently than the character we knew would; as well as a new Mandalorian recruit with a mysterious past who is magically better than the current Mandalorian at everything. In the 7th episode, we are teased that the new Mandalorian for that episode is possibly related to Sabine. The recruit then dies un-spectacularly in the first battle of Episode 8.
That way I will truly feel like each episode is its own Star Wars movie.
That was the biggest knock against they way they planned the final 3 episodes. The original plan was to have three different directors for each film......Then Rian Johnson that he would tell a better story(we all know how that played out). He damaged the story so bad they had to go back to JJ and have him try to clean it up, Im going to see it to wrap out the Saga. I hope its way better than TLJ.

That was the biggest knock against they way they planned the final 3 episodes. The original plan was to have three different directors for each film......Then Rian Johnson that he would tell a better story(we all know how that played out). He damaged the story so bad they had to go back to JJ and have him try to clean it up, Im going to see it to wrap out the Saga. I hope its way better than TLJ.
If rumor are true that they have had to go back to the editing room 3 times (including bringing in Lucas to try to save things) because of poor test audience reception, then I have little hope for this movie.

Back