The Mafia 2 Thread **Contains Spoilers**

I have to say that the game does look amazing by looking at some screenies over in Hi-Res thread.
Without going through 14 pages i have one quick question - is the game played using only 3rd person view or you can switch around?

Apart from one small section you play in first person it's a third person game. You can go first person (kind of) in driving mode. But apparently someones working on a first person mod, and as you go first person in one section it should be possible. The veiw in the game is quite dynamic, it's over the sholder most the time, but when you press to aim, it zooms in and is more like a first person veiwpoint (basically he's not in the way). I've never found the camera angle to be bad though.

Wow. I can see why people have a problem with the ending of the game. Talk about anti-climatic and just...Meh. Though I suppose it does kind of follow one convention of the mobster movie genre.

Wow. I can see why people have a problem with the ending of the game. Talk about anti-climatic and just...Meh. Though I suppose it does kind of follow one convention of the mobster movie genre.

Among the big mobster movies, I can't think of one that ends as crappily as Mafia II :rolleyes:

FYI

An unofficial free ride mod is available. Lets you select season and weather types. Also can bring Joe and Harry along for protection.

Have fun exploring!

Spoiler

I didn't really like the ending, nor did I like the attempted tie into the original Mafia.

Spoiler

I didn't really like the ending, nor did I like the attempted tie into the original Mafia.

Ending was left open for the next game or DLC I hope, I hope that isn't all the story we get to Vito/Joe, I really liked Joe.

Also as far as the "attempted" tie in, if you all go back and play Mafia, look at the character models. Joe IS there in Mafia one, the character looks extremely like him, just new/high detail in Mafia 2.

I thought it was just a good way to tie in the game, it didn't feel out of place or too "out there."

Ending was left open for the next game or DLC I hope, I hope that isn't all the story we get to Vito/Joe, I really liked Joe.

Also as far as the "attempted" tie in, if you all go back and play Mafia, look at the character models. Joe IS there in Mafia one, the character looks extremely like him, just new/high detail in Mafia 2.

I thought it was just a good way to tie in the game, it didn't feel out of place or too "out there."

It didn't feel right to me. Not sure why. I watched the Mafia 2 scene again just now and the voice is the same (I didn't notice that first time) and it does pretty much look like Tommy. Hard to be exact with a whole new engine.

Also. Watching the Mafia ending again made me realize how odd it was. Why did Tommy answer to the name Mr. Angelo? Why wouldn't he keep in character with his new identity? Seems sloppy.

The atmosphere in this game is amazing. The feeling of driving in the evening, in a snowstorm, with the lights glowing and the deep red color of the sunset, the game has that nailed.

It didn't feel right to me. Not sure why. I watched the Mafia 2 scene again just now and the voice is the same (I didn't notice that first time) and it does pretty much look like Tommy. Hard to be exact with a whole new engine.

Also. Watching the Mafia ending again made me realize how odd it was. Why did Tommy answer to the name Mr. Angelo? Why wouldn't he keep in character with his new identity? Seems sloppy.

he was old and probably hadn't heard that name in years and it caught him off guard

joe is dead

sssfm.jpg

Don't post fucking spoilers!!!! :mad: capisci?!?

The tie-in with Mafia (original game) was nice and definitely wasn't out of place. If you don't think that someone would answer to the name or look surprised if they were called by their real name after years, then you have rocks in your head.

The ending was left open for a lot of future DLC's; I hope anyways otherwise I'll be very disappointed.

Nice job with the spoiler alerts, guys. :)

who the heck are you calling a guy? be careful with what you say, unless you want two wiseguys to show up at your place and say "Miss leSLIe send her regards" before one of those puts two shotgun shells on your chest!! :mad: :p :D

the fishes don't want to sleep alone tonight ;)

who the heck are you calling a guy? be careful with what you say, unless you want two wiseguys to show up at your place and say "Miss leSLIe send her regards" before one of those puts two shotgun shells on your chest!! :mad: ;) :p :D

the fishes don't want to sleep alone tonight ;)

It's because the board is 99% mens and 1% womens. Unless you include all the "little girls" that play crysis. Don't you mean wisepeople?

I quite enjoyed the gunplay in the demo, and liked the two open world godfather titles. Is Mafia II worth checking out?

I quite enjoyed the gunplay in the demo, and liked the two open world godfather titles. Is Mafia II worth checking out?

The two Godfather games were awfully disappointing :(, but if you like them, you are gonna loooooooove Mafia 2 !!!

The two Godfather games were awfully disappointing :(, but if you like them, you are gonna loooooooove Mafia 2 !!!

haha I agree they weren't great, but I thought they were better put together than the other GTA clones out there.

By leagues.

I actually kind of like the little tie in with the first game in chapter 14.

well, I should get the game tomorrow, so I'll post my impressions then ;)
hopefully the Anti-Aliasing will be fixed by now

Some people did some digging in the Steam files for the game and it looks like the PS3 exclusive DLC may be showing up on the PC. And on top of mention of that and Jimmy's Vendetta there is something called Joe's Adventure. There is also mention for two unnamed DLC things. So all told 10 DLC packs in total. Five being cars/suits that you get with pre-ordering or with the CE.

Some people did some digging in the Steam files for the game and it looks like the PS3 exclusive DLC may be showing up on the PC. And on top of mention of that and Jimmy's Vendetta there is something called Joe's Adventure. There is also mention for two unnamed DLC things. So all told 10 DLC packs in total. Five being cars/suits that you get with pre-ordering or with the CE.

Holy Moly!! 10 DLCs?? guess nowadays the real dough comes from the DLCs!!

Holy Moly!! 10 DLCs?? guess nowadays the real dough comes from the DLCs!!

Well 5 potential paid DLCs. The others are stuff like the Made Man pack, the War Hero Pack, and so on. Unless, of course, 2K plans to release those as paid content at some point as well.

I'm glad I got the collector's editon so I could get the score. It's absolutely fantastic. It and Assassin's Creed 2 by Jesper Kyd are probably my game soundtracks of the year and might even be outright soundtracks of the year regardless of medium.

In fact, yeah, I'll say that. Movie scores have gone to pot for the most part. Music like what's in those games is better than most of what I hear in the movies by a longshot IMO. Been that way for the last several years at least.

I find, in general, that I'm simply seeing more all around creativity and effort and feel like I get my money's worth way more often than not with games than I do movies.

But that's a different topic. ;)

Two words.....

Hans Zimmer.

The tie-in with Mafia (original game) was nice and definitely wasn't out of place. If you don't think that someone would answer to the name or look surprised if they were called by their real name after years, then you have rocks in your head.
It was definitely out of place. All imo of course. And again, I don't think you guys are realizing the situation Tommy was in. He changed his identity, for good, and he played to that identity for a long, long time. Considering how smart he was you don't think he would know not to respond to his old name? Come on

It was definitely out of place. All imo of course. And again, I don't think you guys are realizing the situation Tommy was in. He changed his identity, for good, and he played to that identity for a long, long time. Considering how smart he was you don't think he would know not to respond to his old name? Come on

he's an old man, he has alzheimers ;)

No matter how careful you are you can make mistakes. Tommy could have been the smartest person on the planet and still made that mistake. He's been hiding for a long time and hearing his name probably came as a surprise to him. So without thinking he reacted to it. Its simple human error. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter. They knew who he was so even if he didn't respond to the name they would have killed him.

why all this hate? I am playing it now and it's a fantastic game, currently in the steal foodstamps mission and am enjoying every minute. The characters are incredible, truley a unique game.

Lets be realistic here though. The reviews for Mafia 1 were not stellar and it was plagued with bugs and mechanics that irritated people (driving around for missions). Even with all that I enjoyed the hell out of the first game because of the story. I agree that this second installment could have been more but its not a let down for me.

Two words.....

Hans Zimmer.

Two words: Hell yes.

:)

Lets be realistic here though. The reviews for Mafia 1 were not stellar and it was plagued with bugs and mechanics that irritated people (driving around for missions). Even with all that I enjoyed the hell out of the first game because of the story. I agree that this second installment could have been more but its not a let down for me.

Agreed. All summed up it really is a true sequel to the first game with all that descriptive entails. IMO they improved upon just about everything from the first game that even big time fans complained about (esp. the driving.)

And of course it got the benefit of being developed for a lot newer technology and all that goes with that, too. :)

ok I'm on that chapter where i have to make about 20k to pay back the loan shark... do I seriously have to grind out ~ 20k by robbing and brining cars to the junk yard? is there a quicker way?

Pretty damn good game, I completed it on medium and then switched to hard and played it through again using a guide to find most of the hidden stuff like the playboy magazines. One of the few times I've played a game straight through twice.

Very good graphics, runs quite well considering although I seem to get slowdown after a few hours of playing and need to restart the game. Shadows look crisp and high detail, there seems to be lots of dynamic lights which make the world look that much more real as you move through it. There's some really varied and high detail textures which make the world look really nice, the effects are pretty good as well. It's a shame physx is once again available but only uses minor CPU usage so runs badly.

The destruction is worth a mention as well, most cover you take can have chunks taken off it so during gunfights the area around you get slowly shot to pieces, same with enemy cover. Theres always smashable objects around in gunfights and it makes for some very cinematic gameplay.

The story and charcters are good, the ending I have to say is very dissapointing, it kind of fizzles out and there is no closure, it's simply left open for lots of DLC which is not really what I want to see after paying full price for a game. However the timeline spans a lot of years, in both cutscenes and in game, and feels suitably epic, there's a few little twists and turns and generally life as a mobster has it's ups and downs, it's not just a steady path of zero to full on Mobster.

Gameplay is pretty good, driving takes a while to get used to and can be frustrating at times but seems to work with with cars from the era. Gunplay is very cool and cinematic at times, the cover system has you and your enemies leaning out/over cover to blast people so you get some nice sustained gunfights, it's not just run and gun. Melee brawling has been done quite well and makes for some good fights back and forth.

AI is quite good, allies protect themselves well, they help out a bit in gunfights provide covering fire and sometimes help flank hard areas if you're stuck. AI drivers are varied which is nice, some people you pull out of their car will run of screaming, some people will stand there befuzzled, others (rarely) will actually pull a gun on you. Same goes for AI in the street and in stores. Police are done well, you dont just get arrested, they will do things like break up fist fights without penalty, they will pull you over for speeding, but if you're wreckless and run people down then they actually try and take you out, so you have options with how to deal with them, take a small fine or try and get away etc.

There's some really nice details in the game as well, there's some easter egg stuff like a little crossover with the original Mafia, there's funny little easter eggs like the insane prison guard mumbling "all your base". The playboy magazines are fun to collect, feels like they have a little reward for finding them.

I honestly think a lot of critics went overboard with the game, it had a bad rap for a lot of reasons and most of them I honestly dont think are valid, there game isn't perfect I found some areas to be quite tricky and the lack of quicksave is really lame, but overall it's not enough to drag the game down, should be a good 85-90% in my book.

Back