The Mafia 2 Thread **Contains Spoilers**

ok I'm on that chapter where i have to make about 20k to pay back the loan shark... do I seriously have to grind out ~ 20k by robbing and brining cars to the junk yard? is there a quicker way?

Go to the docks. There is a mission there from Derek that will earn you some money.

Hey guys, just a suggestion. If you're going to post spoilers, please consider using the new spoiler tags we've added. If you haven't seen them before, it looks like this:

This way the spoiler info isn't seen unintentionally.

To make one, just type this using [ and ] instead of {}:

{spoiler=}The information you want to post inside the box{/spoiler}

If you put anything after the = sign it will say "Spoiler about" and then the text you enter there.

Note, this is NOT required, it's just a suggestion. If you really want to avoid spoilers, I suggest not reading a 300+ post thread about the game.

Hey guys, just a suggestion. If you're going to post spoilers, please consider using the new spoiler tags we've added.

you can also use the color code "#222222" which makes things invisible until highlighted like this: less elegant than the spoiler tags, but perhaps still useful.

I think I just killed Derek, didn't I? Isn't he the guy who killed my father? I think that's the mission that I just finished.

After you killed him did you go to his office like Vito suggests he should do? There's 24k or so in there, the rest you can easily make at the junkyard scrapping cars nearby.

Hey guys, just a suggestion. If you're going to post spoilers, please consider using the new spoiler tags we've added. If you haven't seen them before, it looks like this:

This way the spoiler info isn't seen unintentionally.

To make one, just type this using [ and ] instead of {}:

{spoiler=}The information you want to post inside the box{/spoiler}

If you put anything after the = sign it will say "Spoiler about" and then the text you enter there.

Note, this is NOT required, it's just a suggestion. If you really want to avoid spoilers, I suggest not reading a 300+ post thread about the game.

Just a little suggestion, it'd be nice if the code didn't require the "=" at the end of the first spoiler tag, just a bit unusual to do so compared to most forums that have them.

I think I just killed Derek, didn't I? Isn't he the guy who killed my father? I think that's the mission that I just finished.

Go back to his office and you'll find some "dough". ;)

...That says **Contains Spoilers** on the title. I added it just today. ;) -Oldie

Last edited by a moderator:
After you killed him did you go to his office like Vito suggests he should do? There's 24k or so in there, the rest you can easily make at the junkyard scrapping cars nearby.

That's what I mean.. so I need to make up the 20k or so scapping cars? that's going to take forever

Having just completed the missions, my main impression is that I liked the engine. The world did feel smaller than Liberty City, but there is more variety, better distinction between districts and it is just very, very pretty, especially at night. I thought the traffic AI was pretty good, much better than GTA4's, that's for sure. Driving in general had a bit more substance which was good considering the amount of it you end up doing. I liked having the limiter, for when you just want to cruise.

I didn't like the amount of time you spend doing nothing of consequence during missions. Driving to and from objectives is bearable because of the nice game world, but there were lots of times where it felt like I was doing nothing but walking a few yards between cut-scenes, and one chapter in particular was nothing but 3 or 4 car rides (between cut-scenes) as far as I can remember. There could have been more big gun battles, because they tended to be good fun.
I thought the dialog and plot and characters were all worthless. "Embarrassingly try-hard" was a good description I read somewhere. There isn't a single likable character in the game, Vito included. I kept expecting Joe to call and invite me to go bowling. Even some of the phone calls were painfully over-worked (like when the bartender calls you).

I think I'd give it 6/10, mostly for the engine and gun-play.

That's what I mean.. so I need to make up the 20k or so scapping cars? that's going to take forever

? You only need 27k and something, so you only need to make a couple thousand after that, which is just around 3-4 cars depending on the type.

why all this hate? I am playing it now and it's a fantastic game, currently in the steal foodstamps mission and am enjoying every minute. The characters are incredible, truley a unique game.

Your opinion may change after you finish the game. Many people love the game at first but get disappointed in the end.

? You only need 27k and something, so you only need to make a couple thousand after that, which is just around 3-4 cars depending on the type.

Don't I need around 50k? So I get about 20k from Derrick's office and then remainder.. about 30k I need to make up? I only get a few hundred for crushing a car. The junk yard guy never has any jobs for me

you and joe split the cost which is 27k each. but you make slightly less then that so it requires you to crush a few cars or rob some stores.

Don't I need around 50k? So I get about 20k from Derrick's office and then remainder.. about 30k I need to make up? I only get a few hundred for crushing a car. The junk yard guy never has any jobs for me

Go to the scrapyard in a car. Crush the car next to the crusher. Get back in original car, drive round the block. New car appears next to the crusher. Repeat ad infinatum. You can rob shops, but from the gas stations you get about 30$, from the gun shops you get a facefull of shotgun, and the clothes shops aren't that much better.

Go to the scrapyard in a car. Crush the car next to the crusher. Get back in original car, drive round the block. New car appears next to the crusher. Repeat ad infinatum. You can rob shops, but from the gas stations you get about 30$, from the gun shops you get a facefull of shotgun, and the clothes shops aren't that much better.

Robbing the shops instead of crushing the cars can also a trigger a nasty bug in the game which makes a door stuck later on so don't do it.

Just crush cars.

Robbing the shops instead of crushing the cars can also a trigger a nasty bug in the game which makes a door stuck later on so don't do it.

Just crush cars.

That's another thing that happens in this game that you and I talked about before: Sometimes the illusion of freedom, even on the rails of the storyline, is shattered with glitches just like this one.

Or the game will just CTD like I've seen happen to me a few times when I don't do "exactly" what the game wants the player to do in that situation.

That's another thing that happens in this game that you and I talked about before: Sometimes the illusion of freedom, even on the rails of the storyline, is shattered with glitches just like this one.

Or the game will just CTD like I've seen happen to me a few times when I don't do "exactly" what the game wants the player to do in that situation.

Because of a bug? What happens when the bug is patched?

No issues on this end.

Because of a bug? What happens when the bug is patched?

No issues on this end.

These have not been frequent incidents. And yes a patch would be great.

I still think it's a strong 8/10 game. :)

These have not been frequent incidents. And yes a patch would be great.

I still think it's a strong 8/10 game. :)

Yeah, but what I meant was like, it's not the intention to take away the "freedom" by having it crash and bug out.

Anybody else wondering why performance tanks so hard when you enable PhysX, even when you have a powerful GPU dedicated to PhysX processing?

Well, here's the answer. Mafia II doesn't appear to use your GPU for PhysX cloth simulation. This means particles are running on your GPU, but cloth is running on your CPU (which would explain why forcibly disabling PhysX cloth really speeds things up). Hopefully this is something they can fix in a patch...

Anybody else wondering why performance tanks so hard when you enable PhysX, even when you have a powerful GPU dedicated to PhysX processing?

Well, here's the answer. Mafia II doesn't appear to use your GPU for PhysX cloth simulation. This means particles are running on your GPU, but cloth is running on your CPU (which would explain why forcibly disabling PhysX cloth really speeds things up). Hopefully this is something they can fix in a patch...

Has anyone compared doing the demo Physx cloth trick on the actual game (where you delete the files for cloth Physx on the NPCs)?

Has anyone compared doing the demo Physx cloth trick on the actual game (where you delete the files for cloth Physx on the NPCs)?

Yes, it still works on the full game. That's how they did the comparisons in the article I linked. I selectively removed PhysX effects from citizen clothing, but left it on all of the main characters. This prevents the game from bogging while on the streets (where there are mostly citizens).

The performance hit wouldn't be nearly so bad if they were running PhysX cloth on your GPU as well (I really hope cloth being run on the CPU is a bug and not a design decision).

Does anyone know when I get to do missions for Mike Bruski or Derek? Everytime I go to those guys, they say they don't have any work for me. Do I need to complete the story to unlock those missions?

Does anyone know when I get to do missions for Mike Bruski or Derek? Everytime I go to those guys, they say they don't have any work for me. Do I need to complete the story to unlock those missions?

You only get missions are specific points in the story. There are zero side missions.

They don't exist. Side missions and side jobs for Bruski were cut from the game when side missions were deleted from the game and everything was organized into linear episodes.

You can however, drive a car into the compactor at any time and make about $400-$500

You only get missions are specific points in the story. There are zero side missions.

They don't exist. Side missions and side jobs for Bruski were cut from the game when side missions were deleted from the game and everything was organized into linear episodes.

You can however, drive a car into the compactor at any time and make about $400-$500

Well, that just sucks. I think it would be much more interesting if I could do side missions in between the actual story missions in order to rise up throughout the game and earn more money.

Why are the waypoints still on the map as though the side missions exist? Yet when I get there, there is no work to be done. I would much rather prefer the game with side missions.

Well, that just sucks. I think it would be much more interesting if I could do side missions in between the actual story missions in order to rise up throughout the game and earn more money.

Why are the waypoints still on the map as though the side missions exist? Yet when I get there, there is no work to be done. I would much rather prefer the game with side missions.

DLC probably. There was 5 "packs" or something on the steam servers.

They had to remove them for some reason or another (likely they didn't have the time or money to get them in or 2K told them to) and they put a higher priority on doing other things instead of getting rid of the icons on the map. I'd bet those icons were pretty low on the list of things to do with the game before it shipped.

I actually also herd it was going to be free to PC users. I honestly hope it doesn't come out for a couple weeks as I want to review it and won't have time with by busy ass schedule and PAX. If it is free for PC that would be awesome.. Get a little more for the mulah.

It was free for PS3 users as far as i've heard. Probably wont be free for xbox because of the backwards chrage for everything approch on live. But that doesn't affect me. I think it would be good as free DLC seems to boost sales. "Woah free stuff! ill pay 50$ to get that for free!"

It was free for PS3 users as far as i've heard. Probably wont be free for xbox because of the backwards chrage for everything approch on live. But that doesn't affect me. I think it would be good as free DLC seems to boost sales. "Woah free stuff! ill pay 50$ to get that for free!"

Not the smae DLC as the ps3 users got for free, it's different.

Back