The Mafia 2 Thread **Contains Spoilers**

The otherwise very good graphics are really let down by some very low res textures in some places. Now if only they had included a High Res texture option with the PC, I would have no complaints abut the looks.

Looks like Jimmy's Vendetta will be out on the 7th with a cost of $9.99. It will add 30 missions and online leader boards. You will also be playing a different character called Jimmy who is apparently someone that cleans up other people's messes.

Looks like Jimmy's Vendetta will be out on the 7th with a cost of $9.99. It will add 30 missions and online leader boards. You will also be playing a different character called Jimmy who is apparently someone that cleans up other people's messes.

Excellent.

Dennis: Maybe the mod community can help us out with high res textures at some point.

Is there a free ride mode/mod for the PC version? I don't see an option for that in the game and haven't come across one while searching for it.

What about Betrayal of Jimmy though? Or is Vendetta just a different name?

The Jimmy DLC on PS3 is much more action/arcade oriented than the regular game.

Just finished the game. That ending?...Heh, where's the rest of it? Not impressed with that.

Just want to weigh in my overall 2 cents on this game (haven't beaten it yet, but I have maybe an hour or two left to go)

First off... the city, and the overall immersion/atmosphere of this game, is second to none. Seriously, exploring the city and all its nooks and crannies is like diving headfirst into one of those paintings of a bustling 50s-era town... I mean I can't say I've ever played a game where just walking around looking at stuff was exciting and kept me busy.

Then you have the "graphics" as far as car models, textures, character models, etc which is all exceedingly well done. Not the most amazing stuff ever, but definitely looks good.

The sound design is another HUGE strong point of this game. Not just the music selection, but the "foley" design if you will. If you just stand on a busy corner and listen with your eyes closed, you basically feel there. Stuff like car tires spinning in dirt vs. gravel, all that stuff is accurately done and it's just a treat for the ears. Adding the classic songs of the 40s/50s is just icing on the cake... how can you go wrong with blaring Rebel Rouser during a high speed chase? :D

All this stuff comes together to make an enjoyable, but there was just so, SO much more they could have done... the city is alive but at the same time, totally empty. Basically they have this amazing framework for what could have been game of the year for me, but they just never fleshed it out. No side missions, no randon stuff you can do like drive a cab or do "cop" missions like GTA or something... all you get is the ability to drop off cars for money (which, by the way, is basically useless in this game).

I kind of have this fear that the game's weak points (lack of content, basically) is going to overshadow the other huge accomplishments here and it won't inspire other developers (or the Mafia 2 devs themselves) to go where this game has gone again...

Just want to weigh in my overall 2 cents on this game (haven't beaten it yet, but I have maybe an hour or two left to go)

First off... the city, and the overall immersion/atmosphere of this game, is second to none. Seriously, exploring the city and all its nooks and crannies is like diving headfirst into one of those paintings of a bustling 50s-era town... I mean I can't say I've ever played a game where just walking around looking at stuff was exciting and kept me busy.

Then you have the "graphics" as far as car models, textures, character models, etc which is all exceedingly well done. Not the most amazing stuff ever, but definitely looks good.

The sound design is another HUGE strong point of this game. Not just the music selection, but the "foley" design if you will. If you just stand on a busy corner and listen with your eyes closed, you basically feel there. Stuff like car tires spinning in dirt vs. gravel, all that stuff is accurately done and it's just a treat for the ears. Adding the classic songs of the 40s/50s is just icing on the cake... how can you go wrong with blaring Rebel Rouser during a high speed chase? :D

All this stuff comes together to make an enjoyable, but there was just so, SO much more they could have done... the city is alive but at the same time, totally empty. Basically they have this amazing framework for what could have been game of the year for me, but they just never fleshed it out. No side missions, no randon stuff you can do like drive a cab or do "cop" missions like GTA or something... all you get is the ability to drop off cars for money (which, by the way, is basically useless in this game).

I kind of have this fear that the game's weak points (lack of content, basically) is going to overshadow the other huge accomplishments here and it won't inspire other developers (or the Mafia 2 devs themselves) to go where this game has gone again...

Totally agree
The city, the sound and atmosphere is excellent

but the lack of content (side missions, free ride) is a disappointment.
all that work is just there to be wasted.

the direction the developers took was not a bright idea.

as for the ending of the game, it probably means Mafia 3 or an expansion is in the works.
but if not, then that ending was just meh

What about Betrayal of Jimmy though? Or is Vendetta just a different name?

The Jimmy DLC on PS3 is much more action/arcade oriented than the regular game.

Betrayal is exclusive to the PS3. Vendetta will be releasing on all three platforms. Betrayal will likely come to the 360 and PC at some point though, if the information found in the Steam files is correct.

Totally agree
The city, the sound and atmosphere is excellent

but the lack of content (side missions, free ride) is a disappointment.
all that work is just there to be wasted.

the direction the developers took was not a bright idea.

as for the ending of the game, it probably means Mafia 3 or an expansion is in the works.
but if not, then that ending was just meh

I was VERY disappointed with the ending because the rest of the story was pretty good. There seemed to be other ways to end it that would of made a lot more sense.

I was VERY disappointed with the ending because the rest of the story was pretty good. There seemed to be other ways to end it that would of made a lot more sense.

It's a joke.

I know what they were trying to shoot for with that ending but they just failed miserably in my eyes in terms of execution of that idea.

I sorely hope there's a DLC or something that continues that angle and fixes that because that's a terrible way to leave it IMO.

And yes, I know gangster movies and how they work and it doesn't end all happy and pretty and I also know about the Sopranos screw over ending and frankly, that's about how bad this ending is in my eyes.

They just cut it off too short. I would have been satisfied with maybe another 2 minutes or so added to that ending to flesh things out a little more.

This game's narrative deserved a better ending than this. That's all there is to it.

Overall, I'm going to say in its present form this game is 8/10 and if a few things happen via patches and DLC it can sky rocket to 9 or better quite easily for me.

I don't think I could give this game more than a 7/10, although a good ending could push that to an 8.

I'm not happy with the ending primarily because I know it's like that just to sell more DLC to extend the story, it's a bit of a sell out really, I'd prefer them to have given some closure on that story arc and then used DLC to start a new one or flesh out other parts.

It's a joke.

I know what they were trying to shoot for with that ending but they just failed miserably in my eyes in terms of execution of that idea.

I sorely hope there's a DLC or something that continues that angle and fixes that because that's a terrible way to leave it IMO.

And yes, I know gangster movies and how they work and it doesn't end all happy and pretty and I also know about the Sopranos screw over ending and frankly, that's about how bad this ending is in my eyes.

They just cut it off too short. I would have been satisfied with maybe another 2 minutes or so added to that ending to flesh things out a little more.

This game's narrative deserved a better ending than this. That's all there is to it.

Overall, I'm going to say in its present form this game is 8/10 and if a few things happen via patches and DLC it can sky rocket to 9 or better quite easily for me.

Agreed 100% about the ending. I give them credit for trying something different with it, but the poor execution makes it a terrible way to end an otherwise great game.

Heh. 8 is exactly what I gave it when I reviewed the game. Well 4 out 5 technically. Patches and DLC won't change it, but I do plan to review the DLC packs.

I believe I saw mentioned somewhere that one of the DLC packs mentioned in the Steam files is called "Joe's Adventure".

I'm not happy with the ending primarily because I know it's like that just to sell more DLC to extend the story, it's a bit of a sell out really, I'd prefer them to have given some closure on that story arc and then used DLC to start a new one or flesh out other parts.

Does it bug the shit out of anyone else that devs these days are announcing DLC packs for games immediately after release, and some cases before? If I just bought the game for full retail price I'm not going to immediately drop 10-20 more dollars on DLC!

Yeah I don't like that at all. At least bring the price down of the original game to something more reasonable. This $50 for the "first part" of the game is getting pretty out of hand.

OMFG!!!! Another $10 for 1 more hour of gameplay?! ugh.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/56871/Mafia-II-DLC-Release-Date-Announced

2K Games announced today that Jimmy's Vendetta, the second downloadable add-on for Mafia II, is being released on September 7th. The add-on contains 30 new quests and leaderboard ranking, and will be available for PS3, Xbox 360 and the PC (yay). Unlike the first DLC (which by the way, was PS3-only), this one isn't free. It will cost you $9.99 or 800 Microsoft Points.

Does it bug the shit out of anyone else that devs these days are announcing DLC packs for games immediately after release, and some cases before? If I just bought the game for full retail price I'm not going to immediately drop 10-20 more dollars on DLC!

and down the line, they will release the game again with all the DLC included.
I guess there is no point in buying a game on the first day

I'm wondering how much content there will actually be. If you look at the achievements there's 2 that are like drive 1000 miles in jimmys vendetta and kill like 10,000 people. Something nuts like that

There are 30 missions.... 1 hour of game play was being dramatic.. But still. :( makes me sad.

Okay. Obviously. But that's a dumb statement to make. We're not sure what exactly it might add otherwise, you know?

Also 30 missions seems like a lot, but they're going to be of varying lengths just like during the story mode.

If I remember correctly each Chapter was almost 1 "mission" each.

It makes you sad before you even know the full details. We're all bummed about paying, but it might turn out to be worth it, or at least, ease the pain.

This is stuff that for no matter what price should have been included.. And I highly doubt the missions are going to be of any considerable length. Wouldn't make sense to release a game for $50 and then DLC for $10 that is as long or longer then the actual game.

So that being said, I will remain sad until I get the DLC.

Someone above made the statement Each chapter was about 1 mission. While this is true there were only about 35-45 missions in the game, correct? And if this has 30 missions and the fact its DLC, these missions will probably be short and lack substance like the original game. Don't get me wrong I like the game and all, but I felt the missions were... hollow.

Someone above made the statement Each chapter was about 1 mission. While this is true there were only about 35-45 missions in the game, correct? And if this has 30 missions and the fact its DLC, these missions will probably be short and lack substance like the original game. Don't get me wrong I like the game and all, but I felt the missions were... hollow.

Some of them were, yes.

The overall game was nice and the story was engaging. If the game had ~35 missions then and the DLC has 30, I have a hard time believing that these new missions are going to be as long as the original.

As someone stated earlier, I think I'm going to hold off from now on and just wait until they bundle the DLC's with the game for the same price as it was at release.

I never kept track of what was done exactly in each chapter. But it was pretty straight forward each chapter was like a stage. So I would almost classify it as a mission. And there were what 15 chapters?

Even if you say 2 missions per chapter that's 30 missions.

I'm not trying to defend any unreleased DLC, just trying to gain some perspective as to length.

Again. I saw 2 achievements on Steam for the DLC and they both had 1000+ numbers attached to them. Even if you have to "grind" it adds replay to those achievement whores.

25 missions tops, some chapters were only 1 mission. Overall, the game felt more like 15 missions that could be passed in 7 hours. Too short, terrible ending.

Just got my three mafia 2 codes for the three cards I bought from evga.I use one have two left.:D

mafia2.png

how do you turn off the awful blur/fuzzy filter effect??!!

You can't, that's the lame console style fake AA and depth of field effect to blur faraway objects in the game to hide the fact that they are low detail.

To be honest, I prefer this implementation to the one in GTA where things pop in and there are jaggies everywhere and GTA's idea of a blur filter (turn off definition) blurs the entire screen while Mafia 2 is smart enough to leave objects in proximity to the player in focus so your eyes don't bleed.

Back