the lycos SS on the front page... lol

Sounds pretty stupid to me. It's essentially a DDoS, which last time I checked is illegal. While spamming is illegal, eye for an eye laws don't really apply.

Jason711 said:
how is it stupid again? :confused:
You'll think it's stupid if you're on cable and everyone on your circuit is running it. I'll say again, DDoS = Illegal.

Anyone in the IT industry that has had to remove spyware knows that Lycos has some pretty bad stuff out there. Like their side search that is picked up by all spyware removal programs. Not to mention that is is also picked up by Norton as adware that can not be removed. I would tell everyone to stay away from it all together.

Neonomic said:
Anyone in the IT industry that has had to remove spyware knows that Lycos has some pretty bad stuff out there. Like their side search that is picked up by all spyware removal programs. Not to mention that is is also picked up by Norton as adware that can not be removed. I would tell everyone to stay away from it all together.

i have never delt with lycos as far as adware/spyware is concerned...

and reguards to everyone on my block running it, wouldnt happen.

j0k3r said:
. It's essentially a DDoS, .

with a few notable exceptions, a DDoS isnt a "voluntary" endeavor on the part of the participants
I think the legality of this is pretty firmly established
and really isnt all that different than any other ap that pulls down say RSS or other feeds on a regular basis,
however in this case, its unwanted traffic to a site that will garner no financial return for the spammer, fair is fair unsolicited spam requesting traffic, and you get traffic, but with no return

think your analogy is somewhat flawed
now if Lycos screws up on the who ....
as far as bandwidth goes, take it up with your ISP, you pay for that bandwidth
and they have a contractual obligation to fufill it

If you actually took the time to run the screensaver instead of complaining that it will suck up too much bandwidth, then you would notice that it uses about 300 bytes every few seconds. Thats a few megs a day according to Lycos. One caveat, the screensaver will burn a hole in your screen. Definately use your monitor's power saving mode if you plan on running the screensaver. Also, I don't like the fact that your stats get erased when the screensaver restarts.

j0k3r said:
Sounds pretty stupid to me. It's essentially a DDoS, which last time I checked is illegal. While spamming is illegal, eye for an eye laws don't really apply.

The funny things are that A) they'd go out of business trying to procecute a few thousand people, B) they'd have a hard time not bringing up their spamming opperation when talking about this, and C) a typical DDoS is orchistrated by a few people controlling a lot of computers. This is a bit different in that any one person (unless they put the SS on a few thousand PC's) couldn't alone even slow down a small site with this type of traffic.

The last point of contention is that a user could easily blame Lycos - they went to the site and the SS was automaticly installed... That'd open the door to spyware and then spam, which would probably open the spam site up to prossecution if they were to persue Lycos or the few thousand users of the SS.

its up
http://makelovenotspam.com/intl/index.html

however it appears that for awhile they pissed off some spammers
(and we are talking about criminals here)
and they managed to run a social engineering ploy \ defacement
"Yes, attacking spammers is wrong, you know this, you shouldn't be doing it. Your ip address and request have been logged and will be reported to your ISP for further action."

right :rolleyes: @#@$%$@@ speak into the mike :p

I like that little annoy a spammer now! button
over the screen saver, bam bam bam bam
more personal :p

Ice Czar said:
its up

"Yes, attacking spammers is wrong, you know this, you shouldn't be doing it. Your ip address and request have been logged and will be reported to your ISP for further action."

omg, the nerve! :eek:

Ice Czar said:
its up

I like that little annoy a spammer now! button
over the screen saver, bam bam bam bam
more personal :p

ahh, fack. Not another one of those emails from my ISP....jeez. :D

i take it that it really does not matter if you say you are from europe?

ack! the download worked but the site is down and the screensaver says it cant connect to the server

The site is down. Booo. I wanted to see what all this was about. :p

The frontpage has a follow-up on the screensaver, but the news site they linked to is wrong and the comment on folding into criticism is wrong.

The screensaver got yanked after it crashed two overseas spam sites, and had a third spam site redirect all traffic to www.makelovenotspam.com

Looks like all of us spammer attackers committed denial of serive attacks, then shot ourselves in the foot. :p

Back