The Lords of the Fallen

I love how the developer (Hexworks) supported and patched this game...all other developers need to take note and follow suit...they acknowledged that the game launched with issues related to the new UE5 engine and sometimes released multiple patches a week and didn't stop until most or all of the performance and gameplay issues were fixed...Hexworks deserves all the success they received from the game

Last edited:
I love how the developer (Hexworks) supported and patched this game...all other developers need to take note and follow suit...they acknowledged that the game launched with issues related to the new UE5 engine and sometimes released multiple patches a week and didn't stop until most or all of the performance and gameplay issues were fixed...Hexworks deserves all the success they received from the game
or people could stop buying games in there broken states... so we wouldn't have this issue. Gaming addiction too strong.

or people could stop buying games in there broken states... so we wouldn't have this issue. Gaming addiction too strong.
Yeah when a developer releases a "finished" game, but then brags that they also released over 30 updates to "fix" the "finished" product post release, speaks volumes that these games need to bake a little longer.

And now it is so commonplace to release a "finished" game in a broken state, that people actually start congratulating the dev for actually trying to fix their game that should already have had those fixes before it left the studio.

It's like they don't test none of the games they make now days, basically it's like they see if it loads and works past the main menu on two different PC's and then call it good.

After playing it 2'ish months ago I'd say the game was still very much a work in progress. It wasn't full-on busted like some other recent games, but it was a pretty long way from ideal. That's after 25'ish of their 30 updates, too. That seems to be the way of the world, though. Games are released into the wild with the plan of being totally overhauled based upon the feedback and issues from early purchasers. Larian has done the same thing with BG3 and people act like they're God's gift to PC gamers.

After playing it 2'ish months ago I'd say the game was still very much a work in progress. It wasn't full-on busted like some other recent games, but it was a pretty long way from ideal. That's after 25'ish of their 30 updates, too. That seems to be the way of the world, though. Games are released into the wild with the plan of being totally overhauled based upon the feedback and issues from early purchasers. Larian has done the same thing with BG3 and people act like they're God's gift to PC gamers.
I hate Larian what the did to BG3 like zero atmosphere of the original series just good renders. Reason why I like Wartales it's more like Biowares version of BG but totally different.

it's never going to happen...a game will never be released in perfect condition on PC...they can only test it with so many configurations...they need to release it before it can be bug free/performance optimized...not to mention new features etc

EDIT: I'm now much more patient with new releases...Lords of the Fallen and Lies of P were 2 of my most anticipated games of 2023 yet I didn't buy them at launch...same with Forbidden West PC, Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk 2077 etc...I'm expecting the vast majority of new releases to have issues that'll take a few months to fix...I usually wait around 3 months for a few major patches to be released

the only surefire game I will buy at release no matter what is From Software games like the upcoming Shadow of the Erdtree expansion...their games are always in excellent shape at launch (frametime issues aside)

Last edited:

follow-up: also my point regrading Hexworks was that they stood behind their game and continued to support it until it was fully patched...most developers don't do that...they release a few patches and then abandon the game- the Dead Space remake and the PC version of Returnal are 2 recent examples...they released 1-2 patches and disappeared even though the games still have issues as far as stuttering etc

it's never going to happen...a game will never be released in perfect condition on PC...they can only test it with so many configurations...they need to release it before it can be bug free/performance optimized...not to mention new features etc

EDIT: I'm now much more patient with new releases...Lords of the Fallen and Lies of P were 2 of my most anticipated games of 2023 yet I didn't buy them at launch...same with Forbidden West PC, Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk 2077 etc...I like waiting a few months for a few major patches to be released

the only surefire game I will buy at release no matter what is From Software games like the upcoming Shadow of the Erdtree expansion...their games are always in excellent shape at launch (frametime issues aside)
Eh, Elden Ring PC at launch, while technically playable; was a very poor experience for many people. The amount of major hitching, rubberbanding, and full on halting of the game logic, was extremely intrusive to play. It took them about 2 - 3 weeks to smooth it out enough to be an smaller annoyance. But, it has never been totally smoothed out. On top of that, the game logic still has unusual conflicts with various hardware like USB devices, extra drives, and recently on this forum: Thunderbolt drivers on an AMD platform.

I love From Software. But, they are poor PC developers and its been way past time for them to contract some outside help.

RE: Lords of The Fallen

Its yet another game which released effectively as a 'Beta'. Its pretty tiring, at this point. Its seems that for a large chunk of the industry: Bug and QC testing are apparently blatantly left out of the development cycle and budget. Yeah, I myself have been waiting well after launch, to play many games. And sometimes, you wait a long time. And then sometimes you just lose interest. It took Capcom a few months to fix up the freezing and hitching issues with Resident Evil Village, for example.

I am thankful that Lords of The Fallen had a dedicated dev team to see it through. But, it still must be held as an example of an unfortunate trend over the past 3-ish years. Its to a point that I expect most major PC releases to have big issues for a couple of weeks, at least.

I love From Software. But, they are poor PC developers and its been way past time for them to contract some outside help

Dark Souls 1 was a poor PC port but still an excellent game (I used the DSFix mod)...starting with DS2 and going forward they really improved...are they the best PC ports?- no...but the games have relatively few bugs and performance is mostly fine (unless you really notice frametime spikes)...the biggest issues are related to KB/M rebinding and interface issues but that can be overcome with selective remapping

Elden Ring was the first From Software game I didn't play at launch...was planning to but life got busy and I played it a few months after launch so I can't say how bad the performance was...I did see videos of the stuttering in certain places and it looked bad but when I played the game for the first time it wasn't there, at least not to that extent

Dark Souls 1 was a poor PC port but still an excellent game (I used the DSFix mod)...starting with DS2 and going forward they really improved...are they the best PC ports?- no...but the games have relatively few bugs and performance is mostly fine (unless you really notice frametime spikes)...the biggest issues are related to KB/M rebinding and interface issues but that can be overcome with selective remapping

Elden Ring was the first From Software game I didn't play at launch...was planning to but life got busy and I played it a few months after launch so I can't say how bad the performance was...I did see videos of the stuttering in certain places and it looked bad but when I played the game for the first time it wasn't there, at least not to that extent
I'm pretty sure that's what he means. They are very highly regarded games but From typically makes garbage PC ports. Elden Ring was an improvement, but 60 fps cap is still kinda laughable for PC.

I'm pretty sure that's what he means. They are very highly regarded games but From typically makes garbage PC ports. Elden Ring was an improvement, but 60 fps cap is still kinda laughable for PC.

I'd love an unlocked frame rate but I think the 60fps lock is tied into the gameplay as far as precise timings and windows for parries, blocks, rolls etc...unlocking the frame rate might cause their games to have issues with the things most people love about it in terms of fluidity of motion and combat

Last edited:
I'd love an unlocked frame rate but I think the 60fps lock is tied into the gameplay as far as precise timings and windows for parries blocks, rolls etc...unlocking the frame rate might cause their games to have issues with the things most people love about it in terms of fluidity of motion and combat
I've heard that before but I've also played lies of p which has pretty much all those same mechanics and has an unlocked frame rate. Plus they have had so many games released at this point they should have no issue even with a 120 fps cap. Besides, can always include the option for the player to cap @ 30,60, etc.

EDIT: I'm now much more patient with new releases...Lords of the Fallen and Lies of P were 2 of my most anticipated games of 2023 yet I didn't buy them at launch...same with Forbidden West PC, Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk 2077 etc...I'm expecting the vast majority of new releases to have issues that'll take a few months to fix...I usually wait around 3 months for a few major patches to be released

oh i know it won't ever happen.. This is why I don't week1 games anymore... esp Single Player ones.. I'd rather wait a year for it too be all patched and fixed.. and half price :) But ya people's gaming addiction is just too strong.. they want the games now.. even in there shitty states.. Standards have really gone down.. and it's no one's fault but the gamers who buy them.

You'll find that almost all competitive fighting games are also locked to 60fps regardless of platform. Per the devs, it just makes balancing things easier when every frame matters. To a degree, Soulslike games are kinda sorta fighting games. It's less than ideal, but it's an area where I'm willing to concede. Lies of P is unlocked, but it also has no multiplayer component. Lords of the Fallen also does...and multiplayer in it is hot buttered trash.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Back