The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

I can't wait to play this - I don't care if it looks terrible! Rings of Power was deceptively inaccurate and had lackluster writing despite the beautiful vistas. If this game can hold to lore and explore elements that are unwritten with deference to what Tolkein had written (which is the attitude I hear and percieve from the devs), this is going to occupy my time very much.

For me it is icing on the cake that it is a dark, stealth game.

I don't know what anybody was expecting with Daedalic. They have never made a good game, as far as I know.

https://opencritic.com/game/13215/the-lord-of-the-rings-gollum
1685025572764.png

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Doesn’t Look That Good or Run That Well, Even with DLSS 3 and RTX

The game is powered by Unreal Engine 4 and, unfortunately, it does have quite a bit of stuttering, mostly due to traversal (induced by movement between chunks of the locations), though I wouldn't be surprised if there was some shader stuttering as well...after all, the game does not explicitly mention performing any shader caching

It's not the worst stuttering encountered in an Unreal Engine game (or in any game, for that matter), but it's there even when using DLSS 3 (Frame Generation)...moreover, the visuals in general are a bit underwhelming, especially for the performance requirements...The Lord of the Rings: Gollum can look decent at times, but character models are rough, and the lighting is hardly impressive...

https://wccftech.com/the-lord-of-th...od-or-run-that-well-even-with-dlss-3-and-rtx/

Another trash game with not optimizing done. I'm playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands which is also UE4, and generally runs very smoothly. There are a few hard stutters here and there but no micro stutters that I can see.

Big surprise. People rolling out turds under prestigious IP.

Jedi Survivor seems like a godsend after reading some reviews lol.

Refunded doesn't look that fun too much platforming and climbing doesn't look next Gen.

why do you do this to yourself?...pretty soon you're going to get banned from all the major online storefronts for returning too many games...you better hope there's a GameStop in your area :D

I already hated the constant climbing puzzles in Jedi. Not going to have fun with that.

why do you do this to yourself?...pretty soon you're going to get banned from all the major online storefronts for returning too many games...you better hope there's a GameStop in your area :D
Steam won't ban you for using the refund feature a lot, do it as many times as you like, the feature is there for this exact reason.

I only refunded maybe 4-5 games this year

Gollum

Bleak Faith

Wo Long

King's Bounty

Hogwarts Legacy only to buy the Deluxe version for EA.

The ONE good thing about this game is by the time it gets patched, modded and otherwise fixed, it may be cheap enough to actually consider buying and playing it. o_O

Steam won't ban you for using the refund feature a lot, do it as many times as you like, the feature is there for this exact reason.

people have gotten warnings from Valve...

ABUSE

Refunds are designed to remove the risk from purchasing titles on Steam—not as a way to get free games. If it appears to us that you are abusing refunds, we may stop offering them to you. We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/#:~:text=If it appears to us,title for the sale price.

From what I have seen, there is no fixing the game, it is fundamentally just bad.
Once it gets to the $10 or less state, it will have players. (Possible that they may eventually have a stellar DLC that changes the whole game but i'm not holding my breath on that)

Daedalic Entertainment apologized for the state of the game at release and promises to be transparent as they work on patches and take community feedback. This continues the worsening attitude in the industry at large of release now, fix later.

https://twitter.com/GollumGame/status/1662124108614717448
View attachment 572798
They probably had this apology ready before launch day. There's no way they didn't know how the public was going to react to the poor state of this game. It's comically bad.

people have gotten warnings from Valve...

ABUSE

Refunds are designed to remove the risk from purchasing titles on Steam—not as a way to get free games. If it appears to us that you are abusing refunds, we may stop offering them to you. We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/#:~:text=If it appears to us,title for the sale price.
You can be declined for any service if you abuse the service. if you are a normal person doing normal things, a refund is always possible if the game turns out to be not to your liking. I fyou've played several hours of a game then request a refund, and keep on doing that, then that's your problem, not Valve's and you would be abusing the feature.

I have refunded lots of games this past year or two, the only one that was declined was the EA Play subscription at £4, for some reason the subscription service via Steam for EA Play cannot be refunded. Everything else that is a game has been fine.

You can be declined for any service if you abuse the service. if you are a normal person doing normal things, a refund is always possible if the game turns out to be not to your liking. I fyou've played several hours of a game then request a refund, and keep on doing that, then that's your problem, not Valve's and you would be abusing the feature.

I have refunded lots of games this past year or two, the only one that was declined was the EA Play subscription at £4, for some reason the subscription service via Steam for EA Play cannot be refunded. Everything else that is a game has been fine.
What game requires an EA play sub?

Erm, EA games without having to pay full price for them? I got it at the time to play Jedi: fallen Order through Steam. You also get access to a bunch of games on the non-pro sub, whilst more are available on EA Play Pro, which I later subbed to for £15 for 1 month to play and complete Jedi: Survivor.

Last edited:

yes, but that's not what you said earlier...

"Steam won't ban you for using the refund feature a lot, do it as many times as you like"

Which is true, read the post and subsequent replies again or as many times necessary to understand what has been said. If you abuse it then yes you should be banned. Just refunding games after trying it within the 2hrs window is not abuse.

Which is true, read the post and subsequent replies again or as many times necessary to understand what has been said. If you abuse it then yes you should be banned. Just refunding games after trying it within the 2hrs window is not abuse.

I think you are the one who needs to re-read your own posts...either that or you know you misspoke but don't want to own up to it (which is typical in online forums)...you literally said "Steam won't ban you, do it as many times as you like" in one sentence and in another you're saying "If you abuse it then yes you should be banned"...those are total contradictory statements

the entire conversation was revolving around a member here who refunds games all the time on Steam

Yes that is what I said, because you can do that, I know this because I and many others do exactly that as it's perfectly within Steam's rules for refund. People get banned from using it if they abuse it, do you know what abusing the system means? It does not mean just getting a refund on each new game if you don't like it if you've played under the allocated 2hr refund window.

If that was the case then Steam's refund reason dropdown would not include an option that specifically states you just didn't like the game.

Now that this matter is well sorted, time to move on.

The game broke Daedalic Entertainment. Daedalic is closing its development studio, focusing only on publishing. The closure means development on Gollum will be halted, so no patches to try and address the game's issues will be made as promised in a previous tweet.

https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/wirtschaft/daedalic-entertainment-spiele-entwicklung-stellenabbau/

Bing translation to English said:
Gollum and the consequences: The Hamburg-based game publisher Daedalic Entertainment is giving up its internal game development.

Daedalic Entertainment GmbH, based in Hamburg, will focus on publishing, i.e. licensing, marketing and distribution. The existing range includes, for example, Unrailed, Barotrauma, Inkulinati, Witch It and Shadow Tactics. For the current fiscal year alone, "eight promising releases" are in preparation.

At the same time, games will no longer be produced in the company's own development department at the Hamburg site in the future. In a statement distributed on Friday afternoon, which is available to GamesWirtschaft, there is talk of a "difficult turning point", which is also seen as "a new beginning in the long history of Daedalic Entertainment".

When asked, Daedalic confirmed that 25 of the more than 90 employees were affected. The management says: "We value every single member of our team very much, and it is important to us that the transition goes as smoothly as possible. Therefore, we will support our former employees in finding new opportunities within our network."

As part of the restructuring, work on another The Lord of the Rings game, which Daedalic Entertainment has been working on since mid-2022, will also be halted. The Ministry of Economic Affairs (BMWK) has pledged subsidies of more than €2 million for the project, which should be released at the end of 2024. Licensor: Middle-Earth Enterprises, a division of the Embracer Group. According to Daedalic, the BMWK has already been informed.

The Surviving Deponia project, announced in June, is being developed by the external studio AtomicTorch and is therefore not affected.

Since 2007, the team of founders Carsten Fichtelmann and Stephan Harms has received many awards for productions such as the Deponia series, Edna Breaks Out, The Whispered World and The Long Journey Home. Recently, however, Daedalic's own developments have not been under a good star: The 2017 novel adaptation The Pillars of the Earth flopped, as did the prematurely discontinued strategy game A Year of Rain. At the end of 2020, the two studio branches in North Rhine-Westphalia and Munich were dissolved.

After several postponements, the most elaborate and expensive Daedalic project to date was released for PC, PlayStation and Xbox in May 2023: The Lords of the Ring: Gollum based on the Tolkien fantasy saga. However, the content and technical condition did not meet either internal or external requirements. The studio felt compelled to issue a public apology.

Even though The Lord of the Rings: Gollum did not live up to expectations, they were "very grateful for the time and the instructive experience." Another patch is currently being worked on.

Since April 2022, Daedalic Entertainment has been owned by the French publisher Nacon, which paid €53 million for the Hamburg-based game developer.

The game broke Daedalic Entertainment. Daedalic is closing its development studio, focusing only on publishing. The closure means development on Gollum will be halted, so no patches to try and address the game's issues will be made as promised in a previous tweet.

https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/wirtschaft/daedalic-entertainment-spiele-entwicklung-stellenabbau/

What a sensational clusterfuck. I didn't have much expectation when seeing the initial trailers but damn, i'm surprised on how bad it all went.

Back