The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

polonyc2

Fully [H]
official description: The Lord of the Rings: Gollum is the first video game to be born out of the new fellowship forged between Daedalic Entertainment and Middle-earth Enterprises, with scope for more new experiences in the future. This new action adventure title will remain true to the vision laid out in J.R.R Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings and will also explore new events and details related to Gollum’s journey. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will be powered by Unreal Engine

Gollum arrives on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5, and Nintendo Switch sometime in 2022...

I feel like this should be lotr meets that alien game where you have to sneak around everywhere

Stupid. People have been clamoring for an open-world RPG set in Middle Earth for years.
If HP can do it then so can LOTR.
I don't get why they don't take the basics from the Shadow of Mordor/War games and turn it into an open world RPG. All I kept thinking when playing those games was "this is cool but I'm fucking sick of orcs."

if i could pick one character from the entire lotr i'd LEAST want to play as in a lotr videogame it would be gollum. the fuck were they thinking...?!

It could be an interesting stealth game, think metal gear, or thief! Gollum is actually really interesting through the series time line. He spends most of his time sneaking around and murdering humans, orcs, elves, and more with bare hands and feat. While he's doing on this he's being chased by Aragorn and his Rangers as well as the Ring Wraiths and Agents of Sauron whole are trying to capture him. He breaks into various Elven strongholds and even the most well defended areas of Mordor. He finally does get caught and busts out.

I dunno - this sort of feels like a cash grab using the LOTR trademark/art/universe to help generate sales from what amounts to a medicore game, albeit one with really nice art. From what was shown, I'm not all that enticed or interested. Nothing comes across as new or ground breaking with the gameplay/mechanics/design and it feels like just another attempt to milk the LOTR property. And who wants to be Gollum?! It's like playing a sad, emaciated, pathetic mental health patient in diapers...

I just wish that The White Council could be brought back from the dead. It looks like we're actually getting a good RPG based in the Harry Potter universe, why have we yet to get one in the LOTR universe?

this might be another sleeper hit like Shadow of Mordor...the gameplay footage shown so far doesn't really show what the game is about

I dunno - this sort of feels like a cash grab using the LOTR trademark/art/universe to help generate sales from what amounts to a medicore game, albeit one with really nice art. From what was shown, I'm not all that enticed or interested. Nothing comes across as new or ground breaking with the gameplay/mechanics/design and it feels like just another attempt to milk the LOTR property. And who wants to be Gollum?! It's like playing a sad, emaciated, pathetic mental health patient in diapers...

Very few games innovate at all. Almost no high quality games innovate period. If you want innovate that's mostly with budget games and indie games as all, outside of that the market will not allow it. So I'm not really going to hold it against them.

As for sad, emaciated, pathetic mental patients, well add in pale you've just described a huge portion of gamers. Why not play as yourself?

Very few games innovate at all. Almost no high quality games innovate period. If you want innovate that's mostly with budget games and indie games as all, outside of that the market will not allow it. So I'm not really going to hold it against them.

As for sad, emaciated, pathetic mental patients, well add in pale you've just described a huge portion of gamers. Why not play as yourself?
Disagree with you there... I've played quite a few very innovative, high quality games. Portal, Lone Echo, Half-Life Alex all immediately come to mind. And I'm not THAT pale! :D

Disagree with you there... I've played quite a few very innovative, high quality games. Portal, Lone Echo, Half-Life Alex all immediately come to mind. And I'm not THAT pale! :D
iirc Portal was essentially an indie project (small group of valve employees) or more closely an accidental game, it was to test the physics engine and someone thought 'hey this is fun'.

Alex is also basically a tech demo wrapped in a game shell.

Never played echo.

I will say I think Soareversor means triple A, high budget and production titles. in which he would be largely correct, when spending big bucks companies want guaranteed returns, and being innovative is risky compared to copying prior successful formulas.

On topic I have no idea who this would appeal to, maybe the plague tale/pathologic crowd of semi-walking sim adventure games? its not like Gollum is a great fighter, so there is little reason to believe it'll be an action packed game.

Its a weird pitch, with no Andy Serkis. Makes me wonder if there is to much trouble dealing with the IP holders to produce a proper Middle Earth game with all the bells and whistles it deserves.

iirc Portal was essentially an indie project (small group of valve employees) or more closely an accidental game, it was to test the physics engine and someone thought 'hey this is fun'.

Alex is also basically a tech demo wrapped in a game shell.

Never played echo.

I will say I think Soareversor means triple A, high budget and production titles. in which he would be largely correct, when spending big bucks companies want guaranteed returns, and being innovative is risky compared to copying prior successful formulas.

This pretty much. He proved my point anyways, none of the stuff he mentioned were AAA high budget titles really, hence there were some new ideas, they were largely tech demos. Echo isn't even big for a VR title let alone a normal title and it's not close to impressive really. It's a nice odd ball game though.

If you are spending big bucks on something and using a major IP like LoTR then you do not innovate ever, and you must make your game as dumbed down as possible so the most people can access it. The amount of money and the reputation of the IP is just too large now to go out of the box and risk a flop. So anything with the kind of spit and polish that approaches AAA and touches the LoTR tile is going to play it safe.

This pretty much. He proved my point anyways, none of the stuff he mentioned were AAA high budget titles really, hence there were some new ideas, they were largely tech demos. Echo isn't even big for a VR title let alone a normal title and it's not close to impressive really. It's a nice odd ball game though.

If you are spending big bucks on something and using a major IP like LoTR then you do not innovate ever, and you must make your game as dumbed down as possible so the most people can access it. The amount of money and the reputation of the IP is just too large now to go out of the box and risk a flop. So anything with the kind of spit and polish that approaches AAA and touches the LoTR tile is going to play it safe.
You stated earlier that "Almost no high quality games innovate period." This is what I disagree with. High quality in my book isn't solely attributable to just "AAA high budget titles". I've been very impressed by the quality and the game play of many games that weren't just "AAA high budget titles". And the opposite also holds true. If it's a turd at heart, no amount of art and spit polish is going to change a high budget AAA title into a "high quality" game in my book. There are many aspects to a game beyond just how much money is thrown at it. I do however agree with your point that the more people involved and the more cash thrown at something, the more watered down it seems to become concerning innovation and risk taking.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum | A Split Personality- Cinematic Trailer

Gollum is a story-driven action-adventure coming to Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC in 2022...

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum | A Split Personality- Cinematic Trailer

Gollum is a story-driven action-adventure coming to Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC in 2022...

His character model looks odd.

once again i just can't figure out who wants to play as this smelly, ugly little shitgoblin for an entire game? i love the lotr universe but they're pooping the potential straight into the toilet. he would be so much better as a regular side character in a different game (like he was in Shadow of Mordor)

Daedalic Entertainment and Nacon have confirmed that the stealth game The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will be available on consoles and PC on September 1st, 2022

I would never buy this game even if they promised me everything just on. Gollum is a freak my precious preorder I wouldn't even refund this game let alone buy it or play it I work with Gollum at Walmart.

Daedalic Entertainment and Nacon have confirmed that the stealth game The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will be available on consoles and PC on September 1st, 2022
Sauce:

https://nitter.net/GollumGame/status/1529100043726295040
1653403852938.png

Looks ok I like how Gollum is a hunchback kid instead of standing up like in most games. Reminds me if Styx Master of Shadows.

There will be L33T Hacks for this game where you get tons of Rings which will power up Gollum.

Took vacation landed on this games Sept 1st date going to be intresting cause people hate the character prob. because it reminds them of themselves. Hopefully they don't move the date.

Back