The Linux Foundation Releases Development Report Ahead of 25th Anniversary of Linux

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Linux Foundation has released its annual Linux kernel development report that highlights the growth of the operating system, its progress and overall success. Good reading even if you aren't an alternative OS user.

The Linux Foundation, the nonprofit advancing professional open source management for mass collaboration, today announced the immediate release of its 2016 report “Linux Kernel Development - How Fast It is Going, Who is Doing It, What They are Doing, and Who is Sponsoring It”. The report comes just days before the 25th anniversary of the initial release of the Linux kernel by Linus Torvalds on August 25, 1991, and analyzes the work done by over 13,500 developers over more than a decade, as well as more recent trends.

I tried linux for the first time when I didn't yet even have internet. That made things quite hard I must say. Hard enough that I gave up (then).

My first Linux box was in 1994 with one of the .97 kernels.

I got an "InfoMagic" Linux CD set that had several distros on it from the computer show around 1994/1995. It had Slackware and really primitive versions of other distros on it. It also had extras and relevant USENET groups archived on it. Slackware from (edit) the smaller floppy set is the first version of Linux I used. I still have that disc set in the jewel case somewhere.

edit: I found a picture online of the same set...

7ydEKT3.jpg

I bought the set because it was too slow to download the newer version of Slackware through dial-up. I was getting it at work, but then I changed jobs and I couldn't do it anymore. :D

Last edited:
Anyone here tinkered with version 0.01 of the Linux kernel when it first came out in 1991?

/me waves ;)

And many other revisions along the way, and Slackware 1.0 - the original "distro" - and entirely too many other distros ever since. I can officially say that in my own opinion I still think Linux sucks overall, but I'm sure if "it" could speak it would say the exact same thing about me. Linux and I just do not mesh well together, we can work together for a specific reason but, as far as using Linux for day to day routine stuff, it just doesn't happen. ;)

I got an "InfoMagic" Linux CD set that had several distros on it from the computer show around 1994/1995. It had Slackware and really primitive versions of other distros on it. It also had extras and relevant USENET groups archived on it. Slackware from (edit) the smaller floppy set is the first version of Linux I used. I still have that disc set in the jewel case somewhere.

edit: I found a picture online of the same set...

7ydEKT3.jpg

I bought the set because it was too slow to download the newer version of Slackware through dial-up. I was getting it at work, but then I changed jobs and I couldn't do it anymore. :D

I had that set as well. That was my third Linux install set. The first one I couldn't get to install. The second was Yggdrasill Linux, which I got to install and start tinkering with. Then on to Slackware, RedHat, Mandrake, and Debian.

Back