The Life of a "Computer Guy"

DigitalMP

Gawd
So, most of us know very well that we're either the "computer guy", we know a "computer guy" who is our "computer guy", or we fit somewhere right in between.

For the last bunch of years, I've been the guy to clean computers, which quickly evolved to backing up their data and wiping them, then reinstalling the OS and locking it down, because while side-job security is a good thing, the same thing with the same client not only gets painstaking, but you can look pretty bad doing the same thing for them every nine months.

Similar to the "fix-it-guy" persona is the "help-me-buy-a-new-computer-guy" persona. Sure, every geek has their own idea of what is the best PC to buy, but let's face it, it's easiest to get used to one vendor, one ordering scheme (mine is Dell, as I'm sure most are, but regardless...), and one sort of deal to hunt for, because these calls usually come along with "I'm ready to buy now" or "I'll be ready soon". I'll answer to both, give me 10-14 days and be ready to buy when I call you.

We all configure our own PCs in one manner, but do you do the same for a client? Obviously each is different, and some deserve more information than the next, but I will always install the easiest-to-work-with apps on each machine, like Zone Alarm, AVG, and Windows Defender with scheduled scans and auto-updates. I'll include AdAware and Spybot, and show them how to run those scans every so often, and they're pretty open to that to assure this machine doesn't get as jacked up as their old one. I'll even throw HiJackThis on there, but I don't tell them how to use it, and only say that it's there for an emergency, when I need to dig deep into an issue.

Things like Process Guard and some other intensive apps that I know are very helpful, I won't even include, because I know the alerts will make their PC usage much more of a headache than they deserve.

How do you guys walk that line between making someone's PC attack-proof, yet also assuring that you won't get a call every week?

I install Firefox as the default browser, install AVG and Ad-Aware, and tell them that downloading and running programs off the internet will kill their dog and make them the victim of identity theft.

Never usually have many problems.

It's the simple things..

kumquat said:
I install Firefox as the default browser, install AVG and Ad-Aware, and tell them that downloading and running programs off the internet will kill their dog and make them the victim of identity theft.

Your missing out on money then, I tell those who I service their computer is good to go, soon as they screw it up again I explain to them in some technical manner what happened, where they just nod their head and offer to fix it again for half the price. Luckily, those who've I've helped only needed more ram, bigger hdd, video or Win XP installed...Formatting and installing drivers for $40 is cake. :)

In my experiences:

I've found that people refuse to use adware and refuse to update it.
Ive found that people refuse to update windows and they turn off autoupdate if you have it on.
I've found the only firewall people can tolerate is Sygate. (They can't tolerate MS's security center for sure.)
I've found that people can't tolerate having to manually log in.
I've found that very very few can tolerate running as a limited account instead of an admin or power user. (I only set this up for those that I know can handle it)
I've found that very few can tolerate having Opera as their default browser.

I've found that ~90% insist on using aol even if they have cable/dsl. You can go over and over how bad that is. They don't care. Also, even if aol is already on their computer, they'll stick that damn cd in again and install another aol.

For those that don't use aol, I've found that people do take well to you hiding IE, putting IE on high security settings and having Firefox set as the default browser.

I've found that people who use a local mail client don't tolerate Thunderbird very well and don't tolerate IMAP very well. I'd say most are partial to crappy webmails or OE with pop3. Some people will actually get use to Tbird, but read their mail a second time in OE for some weird funky reason that is just ........

I've found that people like AVG and its resident shield. They even update it too when the icon turns gray. People have no problem handling viruses that AVG finds. However, even though people like AVG, they'll still install another anti-virus program from like 10 years ago. Some people have this Norton fetish too. They install it, it'll mess up the computer, you'll get rid of it to fix it and they'll reinstall it again even if you tell them not to and give the reasons why.

People do not tolerate gimp.

I haven't seen one person that can use OpenOffice. People have this thing and would rather install office 1932 (if there was one) instead of using openoffice. Also, they'll install every single app from office even if they just need one. If you like office that's fine, but when it's an old crappy one that causes hell.......

I've found that people can't leave the damn resolution and color depth alone. (How many times do you have to tell someone what it means when the colors look all funny lol)

I've found that people install every single toolbar that comes their way. Even if they know it'll break something, they do it anyway and you get the "It's messed up again." deal.

Basically, all you can do is:

Install the os. (included drivers etc.)
Download all the updates on it.
Put AVG on it. (minus the email scanner because it sucks and is annoying)

Hide IE and OE and put the popup blocker on high, the security on high, override cookie settings, turn of 3rd party browser extensions, install on demand etc. and use the trusted sites, cookies list and popups list to allow microsoft.com

Put Firefox as the default browser;
Put Thunderbird as the default browser (regardless of above)
Make sure to install java ( people won't update it though)

Then, once you have everything set up, create a restore point named "everything cool - where I left it last". :)

Anything else and you're probably waisting your time.

For those that have 9x/ME, it's about hopeless. People tear it up no matter what you do. You'll be lucky if it lasts 9 months.

I've also found that if you need to email specific step-by-step directions (where every step to do something is listed perfectly), people can't follow them. Definitely do not assume that if you tell someone to right-click that they'll know to click the right button on their mouse.

Also, if you email something to these type of people, don't expect them to email you back and let you know that it worked. They won't even do it if you ask them too. It just doesn't compute to them.

Also, expect these type of people to NEVER learn 1 thing. If they do that's cool, but don't expect it. Try drilling in someone's head where the control panel is for 5 years and you'll know what I mean.

I also hate it when you tell someone to do something step-by-step and you know they did it incorrectly. They always say, "It won't let me".

It's nice to have people come back for more computer work, but when you see the same person screw up their computer 90000 times, it gets quite annoying. (Not to mention the ones that think you can make a 80MHz processor a speed demon.)

Oh, and when people ask you what they should buy, they seldom listen. (They realize later that they should have though.)

Whenever I build a system for someone, I always have to use parts that are overkill. I mean, people will get hundreds of stupid background apps running, so 512mb of ram isnt enough. Gotta have a gig even for the basic users.

I love how people say, I got this cd and need it installed but I don't have a serial. Or they try to trick me into installing say Windows by saying I got the serial but no cd. Course I have a cd, I just need the serial. So they bring it over and go oops, I thought you had a serial I got a cd...can't you find one?

If people want Office or Norton installed, and they insist on it. I tell them to purchase it and Ill install it. Which involves me unselecting the bloatware they won't and never need. Goback, system doctor etc.

Iv found that people MUST use yahoo as their homepage. Even tho I go through all the work to customize a google homepage for them.... They like the adds and other crap... :rolleyes:

generally they either understand the permissions scheme Ive installed
(my having taken them throught a few software installs)
or they are largely locked out anyway and Ive already granted the permissions for approved software

out of all the posts I've sene all day long, this is the only THREAD that brought a SMILE to my face!!!

I do a very good job of educating my clients, as they've all been referred to me by a very good word of mouth.

The one commonality is that everyone thinks all of these popups and such have ruined their computer. I explain to each of them that Internet Explorer caused your computer to get like this, and we may not be able to save all of your data.

I run a couple quick scans (knowing they've pointless), explaining in the meanwhile what spyware is, and how it is fairly avoidable, by using Firefox and running spyware scans, as well as the importance of Windows Updates and the difference between antivirus and firewall, and why each is important. I also give a PDF that I created that goes into more detail, complete with links to the free software and also showing images of the Desktop Systray icons so they know what to look for.

A big part of this is using software that doesn't require much user intervention, like AVG. Zone Alarm does require some, but a good explanation during the installation tutorial, then a live example, and a subsequent phone call over the phone asking, "what kind of program is Zone Alarm? what is this program trying to do? therefore, it needs to ask Zone Alarm for permission, right? Now check the box so you're not asked again."

It's all in how you teach them, though I agree that every user doesn't catch on as easily. But as long as they understand the need to use Firefox, Automatic Updates are configured, AVG is running, and Windows Defender runs weekly scans and autoupdates, they're set to the point that a couple quick scans over a bottle of wine in 6 months is all it takes to keep them flying.

Back