The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Ok, I've tried
Lurelin Village
3 times now.

Something's fucking surviving every time and I absolutely cannot fucking find it. I thought I bashed it into the water but that's not the case.

Ok, I've tried
Lurelin Village
3 times now.

Something's fucking surviving every time and I absolutely cannot fucking find it. I thought I bashed it into the water but that's not the case.
There is a well with a lone bokoblin. Its near that boat shaped house that had a PITA korok puzzle in botw (you had to get a rock on top of the house).

Also, here is a feature that is really easy to overlook that I found yesterday. If you have a recipe for something, click 'A' on an ingredient and choose 'select for recipe'. You can then see all the recipes for that ingredient and if you select one it will hold all the ingredients required. It's a massive time save.

Yeah I finally found it sleeping in the damn well alone

God damn I wasted like 45 minutes on that shit

I accidentally got the master sword today.

I was doing a sky island dungeon and saw a dragon nearby after I finished the shrine. I decided to fly to the dragon which was bigger and more distant than I expected. A walk on the dragons back, collecting some rewards, and an interesting cutscene later I now have the Master Sword.

I feel like there was a quest that I managed to skip major portions of...
Which, honestly, is pretty fucking cool.

Someday I'll get to another temple.

I don't really understand what I'm supposed to be doing weapons wise. I seem to be getting really, really bad item churn with the class of things I'm starting to fight.

Even in the castle shit is dropping rusty spears and sticks, and some things are pretty tanky and absorb a good chunk of an entire weapon on their own.

I have like 50+ black horns that constantly get attached to dog shit. It's a little ridiculous going through like 3+ weapons in a large fight.

In Botw you probably knock something out of their hand that does decent damage. You're drowning in those kinds of weapons. The only downtime is you pressing A to grab it. Here enemies have a fucking stick with a base damage of 4 that has a mushroom pre-attached that you need to destroy and re-fuse constantly.

I don't really understand what I'm supposed to be doing weapons wise. I seem to be getting really, really bad item churn with the class of things I'm starting to fight.

Even in the castle shit is dropping rusty spears and sticks, and some things are pretty tanky and absorb a good chunk of an entire weapon on their own.

I have like 50+ black horns that constantly get attached to dog shit. It's a little ridiculous going through like 3+ weapons in a large fight.

In Botw you probably knock something out of their hand that does decent damage. You're drowning in those kinds of weapons. The only downtime is you pressing A to grab it. Here enemies have a fucking stick with a base damage of 4 that has a mushroom pre-attached that you need to destroy and re-fuse constantly.
It isn’t your imagination. There is often little reward for exploration in the form of weapons and gear.

You can buy a deck of amiibo cards that will drop chests from the sky with epic gear anywhere. Also great food drops. Really helps.

At some point the drops "level up" and you start getting better items all around. It happened to me around 60 shrines completed, but my understanding is that it's based on some sort of hidden experience mechanic.

I'm normally getting weapons with 20+ base attack and enemies with 25+ fuse drops, as well as a few multi-arrow bows.
Hell, even my Zoanite weaponry has 25+ base stats now.
I killed my first Lynel!
I also killed a couple optional bosses in the depths.

I'm at 70 shrines completed, did a lot of questing (all of it, I think?) Around Hyrule Forest and finally made my way up Death Mountain and I'm working my way to that regions temple.
I'm not sure how many hours I have total, but it's definitely substantial. I feel like I've finally actually made some progress. Probably because I think I'm over half of shrines done. At least based on BOTW numbers. Also I have like 15 hearts now.

Last edited:
I just keep piling on hearts. I did the same thing in Botw because I figured you'll always be able to complete something even with the stamina of a 90 year old with black lung.

I've yet to really find anything I can't climb because of stamina in either game.

I’m going for the Hylian shield, autobuild and possibly master sword this weekend. Making very little progress.

I just keep piling on hearts. I did the same thing in Botw because I figured you'll always be able to complete something even with the stamina of a 90 year old with black lung.

I've yet to really find anything I can't climb because of stamina in either game.
I took the opposite approach. After spending countless hours mastering botw I started playing it with no heart upgrades to make it extra challenging.

There is one thing that you will need lots of stamina for. You can always trade at the horned statue which is located
at lookout landing in the bunker. You will find a lady in the bunker complaining about a creepy voice or something coming from behind a broken wall.

Anyone else disappointed in the enemy variety in this game? It feels like 90% of the enemies are bokoblins. When you switch biomes you expect to see different enemies. But nope, more bokoblins.

That and the temples all follow the same formula. "Find 5 switches to unlock these 5 locks". They're all a copy/paste of each other, just with a different theme. Also the cutscenes at the end of each temple... They're literally all the same exact thing but with a different character.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still greatly enjoying the game. But I feel like the journey to the temples is more fun than the temples themselves.

Last edited:
I’ve mostly just been exploring.
80(!) Shrines done.
Probably lit up 50 lightroots.
Finished the Akkala labyrinth.
Done a LOT of sidequests. I probably only have one or two of the stable newspaper quests left to do. I’ve found quite a selection of armor, came across some cool weapons.

Still have barely explored many regions of the map, like necluda, gerudo valley or death mountain.

I guess I should actually get the next temple done sometime.

I'm still absolutely in love. I haven't had this much interest in pure exploration in ages.

Anyone else disappointed in the enemy variety in this game? It feels like 90% of the enemies are bokoblins. When you switch biomes you expect to see different enemies. But nope, more bokoblins.

That and the temples all follow the same formula. "Find 5 switches to unlock these 5 locks". They're all a copy/paste of each other, just with a different theme. Also the cutscenes at the end of each temple... They're literally all the same exact thing but with a different character.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still greatly enjoying the game. But I feel like the journey to the temples is more fun than the temples themselves.
Agree. They didn’t really do proper dungeons, again. Anyone who played Ocarina, Windwaker and Twilight Princess knows how much is missing. This game ranks 6th on my list of favorite Zelda games. They need to regroup after this game.

Bokoblins, moblins, boss bokoblins and in caves, horriblins, may be the standard enemies. Then there's hynox and the undead and armored versions of each. There's at least 3 types of construct, the different levels of flux construct. Aerocudas, keese, chus snd the elemental versions of each.
Lizalfos has different types, gibdo which are pretty exclusive to the desert. I've heard that reDeads are out there too, but I haven't seen one myself. The crazy trees that pop out of the ground and try to wack you.
A different octorok per environment, the stone ones having the ability to repair your weapons. Yiga clan are still hiding out in places.

The bigger enemies like malduin, lynel (which also has multiple variants, I came across an armored one and gave up.) Frox down in the depth, 3 elemental gleeoks and the king gleeok, the gloom hands and their second form: Phantom Ganon.

It may not be the widest variety of enemies, but it's quite a substantial one. Gigantic improvement over BOTW.

Agree. They didn’t really do proper dungeons, again. Anyone who played Ocarina, Windwaker and Twilight Princess knows how much is missing. This game ranks 6th on my list of favorite Zelda games. They need to regroup after this game.

I agree, but the younger generation, would never be able to handle OOT and older Zelda(no experience with WW or TP) titles. They walk a fine line between making it OG Zelda hard and easier enough for the younger generation do do it.

Ive been enjoying it, will have to grab exact stats later, but all the sages are done, all labyrinths, skytowers, about 50% done with the light roots, a ton of shrines down

Got them!

Attachments

• IMG_4956.jpeg
    IMG_4956.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1
Been letting my youngest play. The stuff he builds is great. I'll have to see if he took any screenshots but while cooking dinner it looked like he made a trike out of 2 big wheels, 1 glider, 1 small wheel, control stick and 3 swiveling cannons(he loves those since I show him how to make him)

I agree, but the younger generation, would never be able to handle OOT and older Zelda(no experience with WW or TP) titles. They walk a fine line between making it OG Zelda hard and easier enough for the younger generation do do it.

Ive been enjoying it, will have to grab exact stats later, but all the sages are done, all labyrinths, skytowers, about 50% done with the light roots, a ton of shrines down
People these days can easily handle the old school dungeons.

It's more that, when you have a world as incredibly huge as BOTW and especially TOTK, you need to fill it with stuff, snd and the micro dungeons are a good way to do that.

Skyward Sword and Links Awakening remakes kept the old-school dungeons and did well. (I personally don't care for Skyward Sword, too linear too handholdy, Fi talks too much and the Wii motion controls were awful.) and my understanding is that the kids are still digging the old-school Zelda games available on the virtual console.

This is just a new direction. I partially expect a complete remake of OOT in the next few years.

Something I don't quite understand.
Are the trees Yiga? I infiltrated their base and was told by a Yiga that they are disguising themselves as trees to attack link. If that is true, why do they turn in to logs when defeated, and why are they in Korok forest?

Finished up the lightning temple yesterday. This one felt more like a classic Zelda dungeon. Started with some actual dungeon crawling so it wasn't just "find 5 switches" like the others. It also took place indoors which gave it more of a dungeony feel. Unfortunately it eventually degraded into the "find 5 switches" formula. However, I enjoyed the light beam puzzles so I'll give it a pass. Definitely my favorite temple out of the first 4.

Something I don't quite understand.
Are the trees Yiga? I infiltrated their base and was told by a Yiga that they are disguising themselves as trees to attack link. If that is true, why do they turn in to logs when defeated, and why are they in Korok forest?
Found the answer.
The Yiga disguised trees are actual disguises that vanish in smoke when you trigger the trap.

Am I supposed to know where the "ruins from the age of legends" is? I'm on a quest where a character is sending me there but they don't tell me where it is. I feel like I have no choice but to google it. Am I missing a clue?

Am I supposed to know where the "ruins from the age of legends" is? I'm on a quest where a character is sending me there but they don't tell me where it is. I feel like I have no choice but to google it. Am I missing a clue?
Yes it's a quest from botw that you're supposed to remember.

/joking

I ended up googling it. Seems like a weird design decision to not tell players where it is. "Your next objective is somewhere on this map that's the size of planet earth. Good luck have fun." Reminds me of an Elden Ring quest where I was sent to find a character "somewhere in Limgrave".

All light roots have been found. There was 2 very sneaky ones though. Next will be collecting some armor in the depths and then I think I'm going to get the last 20 or so shrines I need

How did I not notice this before, link has a max of 40 hearts now, and I already have 28.

How did I not notice this before, link has a max of 40 hearts now, and I already have 28.
I had to pause and count the other day too. Just got number 40 today. I did have to pull all the stamina I upgraded and will work on those wheels next

Afaik you can't max out both hearts and stamina. There's a couple shrines short of doing both.

On that note, the temples all add one heart and at least one quest in the game also gives a full heart or stamina upgrade.

Last edited:
Afaik you can't max out both hearts and stamina. There's a couple shrines short of doing both.

On that note, the temples all add one heart and at least one quest in the game also gives a full heart or stamina upgrade.
I read about that too. Wasnt BOTW the same way?

I read about that too. Wasnt BOTW the same way?
Yep. I did all (nearly) all the shrines in BOTW and the math wasn't adding up. Not quite there yet in TOTK, where there's more shrines but also more hearts.

End game was amazing. If you have collected all the tears I'd recommend watching them again before finishing the game

Spent a day battling Flame Gleeock and he dropped jack shit in loot. It was fun though. Since a Gleeock is the first boss you fight in the 1986 original game, it was cool stumbling on to him.

Can confirm. Not enough shrines to max hearts and stamina. Reward for all shrines is a lot better then reward for all light roots though

Finished it. Unbelievable. This game has some many incredible elements, so many plates spinning at once, so much craftmanship that I am not sure any game has been so successful on so many levels. I’m not even sure if it can be fully evaluated in one playthrough, there are so many different ways to approach this game.

It isn’t my favorite game of all time or my favorite Zelda, but it is a singular and unique accomplishment that does things that no other game does, and it works a kind of magic over you where you slowly discover how this massive game world works, how everything connects, and how every optional side quest and detour has a payoff that isn’t always obvious at first. It is a dizzyingly large game that somehow manages quality and quantity, and challenges you with problem solving, combat, resource management, navigation, I mean where to even to begin.

It feels like a high water mark not just for the series, or even Nintendo or even gaming, but creativity in general. Maybe one of the most compelling arguments for games being art and not just some kind of simulation. How they actually got this made is beyond my comprehension. 10/10 for me!

Back