The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom- DF Tech Review- Is It Really 'Too Big for Switch'?

So close.
1683820331485.png

My local GameStop in my rather small town (albeit a college town) has over edit: 360! pre-orders. Biggest pre-order they've had in years.

Last edited:
seems like Nintendo really knows what they're doing with these Zelda games...looks like the frontrunner for GOTY

I'm looking at grabbing a copy, but then emulating it on my PC, wondering if there are any good Switch emulators?

sounds like for people that didn't like BOTW you're going to be disappointed as Tears of the Kingdom feels like a sequel...it's also 70- 80 hours long

I give it a 6/10 from what I played and seen. Which is a step up over BotW 5/10.

Lemme guess, -5 and -4 because of the weapon durability mechanic? I'm in the Zelda boat where 2D/birds-eye entries are the ones that catch my attention (Link Between Worlds is an 11/10 imo), but to sleep on BOTW and it's iconic game design is quite the gaming blunder. But the silliest blunder is knowing people are out there refusing to play the game because they forget to (a) pick up extra weapons (b) pick up extra arrows (c) utilize their bombs (d) utilize the physics engine (e) all of the above. I can understand someone getting turned off of Elden Ring because they got their ass handed to them by the opening Tree Sentinel and didn't realize they were supposed to navigate elsewhere at first, but BOTW has so much more forgiveness and freedom present that the exploration aspect and gameplay absolutely cakes on dopamine in a way that no other game I've played can equally output.

Lemme guess, -5 and -4 because of the weapon durability mechanic? I'm in the Zelda boat where 2D/birds-eye entries are the ones that catch my attention (Link Between Worlds is an 11/10 imo), but to sleep on BOTW and it's iconic game design is quite the gaming blunder. But the silliest blunder is knowing people are out there refusing to play the game because they forget to (a) pick up extra weapons (b) pick up extra arrows (c) utilize their bombs (d) utilize the physics engine (e) all of the above. I can understand someone getting turned off of Elden Ring because they got their ass handed to them by the opening Tree Sentinel and didn't realize they were supposed to navigate elsewhere at first, but BOTW has so much more forgiveness and freedom present that the exploration aspect and gameplay absolutely cakes on dopamine in a way that no other game I've played can equally output.

Some people don't enjoy the same things that others do.

I didn't mind BOTW, but I don't think its this orgasm-inducing mega smash super hyper genre-defining second-coming-of-the-messiah that everyone else seems to think it was. Personally I think OoT fits that measure more than others, and TP is my favourite zelda overall.

There are other games that people absolutely jizz their pants to at the mere mention that make me go "meh" but I don't judge them. I think Elden Ring is probably one of the best games ever released, but if someone doesn't like it for one reason or another, that's fine: I'm not going to stake a hill to die on to try and convince them they're wrong.

Some people don't enjoy the same things that others do.

I didn't mind BOTW, but I don't think its this orgasm-inducing mega smash super hyper genre-defining second-coming-of-the-messiah that everyone else seems to think it was. Personally I think OoT fits that measure more than others, and TP is my favourite zelda overall.

There are other games that people absolutely jizz their pants to at the mere mention that make me go "meh" but I don't judge them. I think Elden Ring is probably one of the best games ever released, but if someone doesn't like it for one reason or another, that's fine: I'm not going to stake a hill to die on to try and convince them they're wrong.

The common dismissal of an entire game because weapons shatter due to durability is flabbergasting to say the least. That's the common thread that denies people entry into what is an exceptional game and an evolution of what was clearly becoming a stale formula, all while somehow capitalizing that existing formula into something greater by merging an open world with endless rewarding exploration melded into it. It's pretty much a love letter to every Zelda game that has come before it, and Tears feels like a love letter to them all once more with more influence from Skyward Sword's curious landscapes. That's all I'm gatekeeping here is the close-minded takes of people who bail out because of a moot gameplay factor that doesn't even really subtract from the combat in any way. People act like the combat in other Zelda games was something special when it was just haphazardly shuffling inventory items and charging up their master sword spin attack over and over again.

The common dismissal of an entire game because weapons shatter due to durability is flabbergasting to say the least. That's the common thread that denies people entry into what is an exceptional game and an evolution of what was clearly becoming a stale formula, all while somehow capitalizing that existing formula into something greater by merging an open world with endless rewarding exploration melded into it. It's pretty much a love letter to every Zelda game that has come before it, and Tears feels like a love letter to them all once more with more influence from Skyward Sword's curious landscapes. That's all I'm gatekeeping here is the close-minded takes of people who bail out because of a moot gameplay factor that doesn't even really subtract from the combat in any way. People act like the combat in other Zelda games was something special when it was just haphazardly shuffling inventory items and charging up their master sword spin attack over and over again.
I personally found the weapon breaking system infuriating and made me not want to use good weapons, which actively made me use less than ideal weapons, which hurt my experience.

The weapon durability system was flawed, and for some: so much so that it ruined the game.

I personally found the weapon breaking system infuriating and made me not want to use good weapons, which actively made me use less than ideal weapons, which hurt my experience.

The weapon durability system was flawed, and for some: so much so that it ruined the game.

I found it awesome that a weapon about to break would do critical damage and the alternatives to the normal weaponry included an ability that allows you to drop things on baddies and maim them temporarily. That and the bombs were infinitely fun to use. Maybe all the hours I have logged in Garry's Mod spoiled me into not caring about normal weapons not being the main course of the gameplay loop. To each their own, I guess, but at least you kept at it. Fusing makes it a lot nicer with less "bad" weapons present.

I found it awesome that a weapon about to break would do critical damage and the alternatives to the normal weaponry included an ability that allows you to drop things on baddies and maim them temporarily. That and the bombs were infinitely fun to use. Maybe all the hours I have logged in Garry's Mod spoiled me into not caring about normal weapons not being the main course of the gameplay loop. To each their own, I guess, but at least you kept at it. Fusing makes it a lot nicer with less "bad" weapons present.
Personally I think the option to keep, repair and even upgrade broken weapons would have 100% fixed the system for me. It was the fact that everything felt disposable, nothing was special, it all was just a waste of time to get attached to.

I’m two hours in. I think it is mesmerizing. I’ve played everything, but nothing quite like this! The core mechanics are from Breath of the Wild, but it is readily apparent this is a bona fide new entry in the series with new mechanics on top of Breath of the

The graphics are also improved from Breath of the Wild, but not by much. The upgrade is appreciated!

10/10 so far!

Last edited:
Personally I think the option to keep, repair and even upgrade broken weapons would have 100% fixed the system for me. It was the fact that everything felt disposable, nothing was special, it all was just a waste of time to get attached to.
Maybe if the weapons actually had durability. In BotW the combat was like smacking a wall with a paper towel tube; 3 whacks and you get a big "Your weapon is about to break" message over and over ad inifinitum. You spent more time switching weapons than you did fighting. Watching the reviews for TotK and seeing the constant 'weapon breaking' messages and 'stop the action to attach this to your arrow' is mildly infuriating. If the games didn't have Zelda attached to them they wouldn't be near as well reviewed; Genshin Impact (and it's clones) have a lot of similar systems with things that take out the tedium (no broken weapons, grappling hooks and other ways to get around quickly, actual upgrades, etc.)

Last edited:
I'm looking at grabbing a copy, but then emulating it on my PC, wondering if there are any good Switch emulators?
Ryujinx, as mentioned above, is being updated frequently right now to improve compatibility with this game. There are still glaring issues, but it's to be expected. Be aware that even emulation suffers from shader compilation stutter and hitches, and it's currently really bad with this game. Yuzu is the alternative and does a better job at shader compilation, but it's having more serious issues with this game right now compared to Ryujinx.

Ryujinx has a merged thread tracking all the issues:
https://github.com/Ryujinx/Ryujinx-Games-List/issues/4598

Yuzu threads are not merged, but you can see them at the top since they're coming in fast and furious.
https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu/issues

Maybe if the weapons actually had durability. In BotW the combat was like smacking a wall with a paper towel tube; 3 whacks and you get a big "Your weapon is about to break" message over and over ad inifinitum. You spent more time switching weapons than you did fighting. Watching the reviews for TotK and seeing the constant 'weapon breaking' messages and 'stop the action to attach this to your arrow' is mildly infuriating. If the games didn't have Zelda attached to them they wouldn't be near as well reviewed; Genshin Impact (and it's clones) have a lot of similar systems with things that take out the tedium (no broken weapons, grappling hooks and other ways to get around quickly, actual upgrades, etc.)
It feels like weapons are even less durable in TotK. The weapon durability was the least of my issues with BotW.

It feels like weapons are even less durable in TotK. The weapon durability was the least of my issues with BotW.
From the reviews I've seen of TotK the durability is increased by fusing rocks and things to your weapons. IMO the BotW/TotK model of weapon breaking turns your weapons into resources and forces you to use those you don't like in order to save the ones you do. My BotW experience ended up with me feeling like weapons were the same as the 99 potions I'd accrue in a JRPG because 'I might need that later'. Any other game using such a system in combat would be universally panned as bad design but if Nintendo does it it's revolutionary.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone that liked BotW will also like TotK as it's more of the same. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I got it for switch, but am emulating it on pc. 60 fps pc play is just so sweet. Both BotW and TotK are games not meant for everyone. If you enjoyed a bit of minecraft, sandbox mixed in with some adventure, then they will be enjoyable to you.

Both BotW and TotK are games not meant for everyone. If you enjoyed a bit of minecraft, sandbox mixed in with some adventure, then they will be enjoyable to you.

it's the kids version of Elden Ring ;) :D

it's the kids version of Elden Ring ;) :D
lol. Imagine weapons breaking with every swing in Elden Ring. It would have been called one of the worst games ever made; unless they changed the name to Zelda Ring anyway. :D

I went and picked it up at Walmart on my lunch break. Tons of copies and no one was there. I cant play until tonight though.

lol. Imagine weapons breaking with every swing in Elden Ring. It would have been called one of the worst games ever made; unless they changed the name to Zelda Ring anyway. :D
No affinity for Zelda, never played any of the earlier games before BoTW and while I wasn't a fan of the weapon durability, everything else about the game was far and away more than enough to compensate for such a trivial complaint. BoTW is a fantastic game because it is a fantastic game.

No affinity for Zelda, never played any of the earlier games before BoTW and while I wasn't a fan of the weapon durability, everything else about the game was far and away more than enough to compensate for such a trivial complaint. BoTW is a fantastic game because it is a fantastic game.
I don't agree but everyone is welcome to their opinion. IMO BotW had some interactions that were initally pretty cool but quickly became tedious/mediocre. Yeah it was neat that you could set grass on fire and use the glider to get some air. It was also neat how trees and rocks would roll down hill. But the problem with things like that is that they're only neat for the first few times you use them. Then you're still stuck with poop combat where you're spending more time swapping weapons than fighting and braindead puzzles where you immediately see the solution yet the only difficulty comes from timing a rolling rock / wind gust or moving an object to the correct pixel. The BotW clones like Genshin Impact or Tower of Fantasy were more enjoyable for me as they had better combat, better movement, and more gameplay customization without all of the hassle.

That was probably my main issue with BotW outside of the weapon durability which was tedious and made chests completely unexciting to open (oh boy it's either going to be Rupees or a weapon that will break in a single encounter). It was as deep as a puddle.

Last edited:
Ultra hand more like ultra lag.

When I got the glider, I took my pants off so I could air out my balls on the way back down from the stratosphere and much to my surprise, Purah had some words for me about it

20230513_032701.jpg

Cute Zelda lots of digital codes I'm not interested in that Cel Shaded look just isn't colorfull like Twilight was.

Back