The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

So was BOTW2 never an official thing? This certainly looks like the successor.

So was BOTW2 never an official thing? This certainly looks like the successor.
This is "Breath of the Wild 2." It's the same Link in the same time period, just older. Nintendo hasn't used numbered sequels for the series since Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I tend to agree the previews are underwhelming. However, since Breath of the Wild probably pushed the technical capabilities of the Switch as far as they can go in terms of graphics, it is inevitable that this game will give expansion vibes. They clearly are not reinventing the wheel for this game. Nor can they considering the CPU/GPU we are stuck with. We are basically stuck at Wii U level graphics. Nintendo has had this problem for ages. They are just behind on raw CPU/GPU. Zelda always suffers the most from this deficit, because it is the game that relies the most heavily on outdoor environments and foliage, ect, the things that are the most difficult to render.

The previews usually undersell the game because the raw visuals aren't up to modern standards. If you treat it like a very large expansion of BotW, your expectations will probably be exceeded. I don't think we'll see a significantly improved Zelda until the next console gen and probably not for several years. Nor did I really want them to toss aside all that they built for Breath of the Wild on Switch. I'd rather get more BotW now then have them tie their next Zelda game to the Switch. That can wait for the next console.

I suspect that this will be the last 3D Zelda game to launch on Switch, with the exception of a remaster of Twilight Princess and/or Windwaker., which has not been announced but which I predict will happen.

I tend to agree the previews are underwhelming. However, since Breath of the Wild probably pushed the technical capabilities of the Switch as far as they can go in terms of graphics, it is inevitable that this game will give expansion vibes. They clearly are not reinventing the wheel for this game. Nor can they considering the CPU/GPU we are stuck with. We are basically stuck at Wii U level graphics. Nintendo has had this problem for ages. They are just behind on raw CPU/GPU. Zelda always suffers the most from this deficit, because it is the game that relies the most heavily on outdoor environments and foliage, ect, the things that are the most difficult to render.

The previews usually undersell the game because the raw visuals aren't up to modern standards. If you treat it like a very large expansion of BotW, your expectations will probably be exceeded. I don't think we'll see a significantly improved Zelda until the next console gen and probably not for several years. Nor did I really want them to toss aside all that they built for Breath of the Wild on Switch. I'd rather get more BotW now then have them tie their next Zelda game to the Switch. That can wait for the next console.

I suspect that this will be the last 3D Zelda game to launch on Switch, with the exception of a remaster of Twilight Princess and/or Windwaker., which has not been announced but which I predict will happen.
Nintendo can send out a turd in a case and people will claim it is the greatest game ever created.

Nintendo can send out a turd in a case and people will claim it is the greatest game ever created.
Thanks to metacritic, that's basically every game that comes out exclusive to some platform. Some very medicre games getting 80+ scores. 80+ is near perfection...

1676055633312.png

I’m sure it’s gonna be a great game, but I didn’t love seeing that weapon durability is still a thing, and now we have to worry about battery levels with those self-made machines?

I’m sure it’s gonna be a great game, but I didn’t love seeing that weapon durability is still a thing, and now we have to worry about battery levels with those self-made machines?
Yea looking to be the same trash as BotW.

Yea looking to be the same trash as BotW.
I loved BotW personally, but the durability mechanics got old really fast. Even the ancient weapons, which aren't easy to acquire broke way too fast.
The crafting in TotK looks like it will be fun, fusing weapons looks fun and kinda dumb all at once, but I'm curious how it will be when you're using more than sticks and stones. Will it always look like you just scotch taped something onto your weapon or will there be some more integrated looks down the road?

good Lord were the graphics always this bad?...the shimmering and low-res textures in that new video are blinding me

good Lord were the graphics always this bad?...the shimmering and low-res textures in that new video are blinding me
Yes. The switch was 3 year old out dated tech when it was released. It is going to have sub 30 fps most the time also I am sure.

Yes. The switch was 3 year old out dated tech when it was released. It is going to have sub 30 fps most the time also I am sure.

:eek:

gameplay must really be something special to overcome those dated graphics...the foliage looks terrible

:eek:

gameplay must really be something special to overcome those dated graphics...the foliage looks terrible
It's something that only Nintendo can get away with. In a way it's charming because it lends to that nostalgic Nintendo feeling IMO. No one turns to Nintendo for graphics, it's just not expected. Despite this, I think they create very appealing visuals.

I'm all for next gen graphics, I'm building a pc right now with a 7900XTX, but the Switch gets a ton of play in our house because it's just plain fun.

It's something that only Nintendo can get away with. In a way it's charming because it lends to that nostalgic Nintendo feeling IMO. No one turns to Nintendo for graphics, it's just not expected. Despite this, I think they create very appealing visuals.

I'm all for next gen graphics, I'm building a pc right now with a 7900XTX, but the Switch gets a ton of play in our house because it's just plain fun.

I wasn't expecting it to look like a high end PC or PS5 level of graphics but I also wasn't expecting it to look like an Atari 2600 ;) ...but Nintendo must be doing something right as the Zelda series is one of the most highly rated and best selling games of all time

Meh. Great for those that are fans of the series and that loved BOTW. I still cannot see how BOTW got the praise it did.

I wasn't expecting it to look like a high end PC or PS5 level of graphics but I also wasn't expecting it to look like an Atari 2600 ;) ...but Nintendo must be doing something right as the Zelda series is one of the most highly rated and best selling games of all time
FWIW, when my girlfriend first saw me playing BOTW (I just played it for the first time recently), she was not impressed, but as she saw more and more she admit to me that her initial impression was completely wrong and she felt like it was a truly amazing game. The graphics are really easy to get past once you immerse yourself.

Switch is roughly equivalent to an Xbox 360----with more RAM and a much more modern/refined GPU shading architecture. I dunno what you guys expect? It looks a bit better than Breath of The Wild-----with even better environment/asset streaming. And the framerate looks to be quite smooth/stable.

Figure out how to emulate your copy of the game on your PC, the visuals scale pretty well with resolution and anisotropic filtering improvements. Otherwise, you would be hard pressed to find another portable game as playable and interesting.

I feel like I just watched an episode of Blues Clues. The presenter in this video is the most innocent and wholesome man ever.

Last edited:
I'll most likely play it, though it really doesn't look much different than the original game. The weapon fusing is kinda cool, but will we get a way to repair our cool fused weapons now, or will they just break easily again like last time?

I'll most likely play it, though it really doesn't look much different than the original game. The weapon fusing is kinda cool, but will we get a way to repair our cool fused weapons now, or will they just break easily again like last time?
You see the weapons breaking in the new videos.

at the very least if you have a good weapon and once its durability is about done, fuse it with something to get back durability and increased damage it sounded like. total speculation but eventually it would still break I'm guessing. but seems like a cool feature, will be interesting to see all the different fused weapons people come up with..

at the very least if you have a good weapon and once its durability is about done, fuse it with something to get back durability and increased damage it sounded like. total speculation but eventually it would still break I'm guessing. but seems like a cool feature, will be interesting to see all the different fused weapons people come up with..
There are probably limits how many times you can fuse a weapon.

You see the weapons breaking in the new videos.
I realize that, my question was if we might get some sort of repair ability in this game. IIRC the last one had a way to repair but it was such a pain in the ass it was easier to just re-farm whatever weapon you wanted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made compromises to get it running well in docked mode. BotW had a lot of issues trying to run at 900p in docked mode. To me, BotW looks a little better than the gameplay demonstration for this game. The textures are especially bad.

:(

This should have been released on switch2, what is nintendo doing.

Printing money. This game will sell very good. When they do eventually release an upgraded Switch, they can easily re-release these games with better graphics and rake the money in.

The Switch is the third best selling game platform of all time. I’d like a Switch successor as well, but there isn’t a ton of incentive for Nintendo to rush one out,

Back