The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch Remake)

Just started playing this last night and meh. Just another game getting a pass cause it is Zelda. It isn't a bad game but nothing special like some people making it out to be and I prefer the top down Zelda games over the 3D ones.
It’s a 1993 game boy game with a new coat of paint, how special did you expect it to be? It’s a nostalgic adventure similar to A Link to the Past but was greatly hardware limited originally. It’s a short but fun romp around an island with some fun but otherwise unmemorable characters.

It’s a 1993 game boy game with a new coat of paint, how special did you expect it to be? It’s a nostalgic adventure similar to A Link to the Past but was greatly hardware limited originally. It’s a short but fun romp around an island with some fun but otherwise unmemorable characters.
I didn't expect it to be special but other are. All the internet is gushing over this game.

Just started playing this last night and meh. Just another game getting a pass cause it is Zelda. It isn't a bad game but nothing special like some people making it out to be and I prefer the top down Zelda games over the 3D ones.

That was my thought about Breath of the Donkey Bawls except I thought that game sucked. It could have been great with a few gameplay tweaks as well. I kept feeling like they had made changes to draw it out and make it slower as I played it. The weapons braking if anyone near you sneezed was bad to the point I'd avoid encounters if I had good weapons.

As far as links awakening I think its a very good update to the old game in both look and controls. That being said as I mentioned in the switch thread I think it was overpriced. The spyro remakes were 40 bucks for the 3 of them as were the crash ones. Not as big of a fan of crash by spryo was done amazing as well. I kinda prefer the more simple nature of the game compared to some others. I enjoyed playing it again and it had been long enough I forgot most of it. The art style was enjoyable as was the music.

This game was made for people who liked the original. I actually played the original as a prototype before it got released on the original Gameboy. I liked it then, and it's fun now. However, I wasn't expecting it to be anything more than it is. Which is a simple, nostalgic, fun little Zelda game to play between other things. My kids also like it, and they never played the original.

LTTP is superior, as was it's 3ds sequel(which wasn't 60 bones either)

LTTP is superior, as was it's 3ds sequel(which wasn't 60 bones either)

Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds are in fact superior. I wouldn't say that diminishes the value of a classic game that was rebuilt with all new assets. People love Link's awakening. I will actually agree that $60 is a little bit steep when you could buy the full remasters of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for less (if I remember correctly). However, it's still a good game, it provides enough game play for the money, and if you're into this game, then I'd say it's worth it. If you have no nostalgia or love for the original, then maybe don't buy this until it drops a little bit. It is a good game though, and if you've played everything else that's good on the Switch, then I'd say it's worth it. In my case, I'll play through it, and then each of my kids probably will, so $60 is nothing for that much play.

Having an absolute blast with Link's Awakening now. It hit the magical point of pulling me in, so I'm hooked now, and onto my third area/dungeon. Somehow I find it more fun now than I originally did on the GB/GBC, which is saying something since I generally prefer pixel-art to this sort of aesthetic. They really nailed the atmospheric side of the game though, and while it's simple, and definitely not as huge as LttP and LbW, it's very fun. I'm glad I picked it up. It may be on the simpler side of the Zelda range, but it's very polished, and just fun.

"Superior" is pretty subjective too, but as far as the objective parts, world size, complexity, etc. I would probably agree. As I said before though, I enjoy almost all Zelda games/content, and Link's Awakening is not only fun, but nostalgic. They did an excellent job of bringing that world to life on new hardware too. I like a lot of Zelda games that many others aren't as into though, so I guess I'm kind of positive-biased here to a degree.

Really the only really negative things I have to point at the series in general are weapon damage on Breath of the Wild. (yes, it's manageable, but still a pain, and kind of silly) And... the fucking Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass. Tedium at it's finest. :D Otherwise, I pretty much enjoy all the ones I've played. I still haven't played the Oracle or Four Swords ones, and a few other spin-off types though...

"Superior" is pretty subjective too, but as far as the objective parts, world size, complexity, etc. I would probably agree. As I said before though, I enjoy almost all Zelda games/content, and Link's Awakening is not only fun, but nostalgic. They did an excellent job of bringing that world to life on new hardware too. I like a lot of Zelda games that many others aren't as into though, so I guess I'm kind of positive-biased here to a degree.

Really the only really negative things I have to point at the series in general are weapon damage on Breath of the Wild. (yes, it's manageable, but still a pain, and kind of silly) And... the fucking Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass. Tedium at it's finest. :D Otherwise, I pretty much enjoy all the ones I've played. I still haven't played the Oracle or Four Swords ones, and a few other spin-off types though...

Don't forget the two CDI zelda games. Those were some very dark times.

Breath of the donkey bawls just wasn't good. The weapon damage without a good way to buy replacements easily or repair was horrible. The work they did to slow down the game(like the fucking blue fire that you had to take to the labs, my game on the second one rained every fucking possible stopping point). The lack of areas to buy stuff like bomb arrows, lack of dungeons(other than the 4 steam punk power ranger mega zords), etc. Hell if the wooden weapons broke but the metal ones just went into a damaged state(over a much longer period) where you could go to a city and repair it easily like dead rising would have made a world of difference.

Big downsides of links awakening for me were two things besides the cost: The slow down in the game where the frame rate seems to drop from 60 to like maybe 30. I just kept noticing it. The second is that the dungeon explorer thing could use a lot of work. It would be badass to have multiplayer with it. If they had gone all out on that I wouldn't have been upset with the cost. Its kinda cool but it just shows a glimpse of what could have been amazing. Hopefully they end up making a zelda maker soon.

Breath of the donkey bawls just wasn't good. The weapon damage without a good way to buy replacements easily or repair was horrible. The work they did to slow down the game(like the fucking blue fire that you had to take to the labs, my game on the second one rained every fucking possible stopping point). The lack of areas to buy stuff like bomb arrows, lack of dungeons(other than the 4 steam punk power ranger mega zords), etc. Hell if the wooden weapons broke but the metal ones just went into a damaged state(over a much longer period) where you could go to a city and repair it easily like dead rising would have made a world of difference.

Big downsides of links awakening for me were two things besides the cost: The slow down in the game where the frame rate seems to drop from 60 to like maybe 30. I just kept noticing it. The second is that the dungeon explorer thing could use a lot of work. It would be badass to have multiplayer with it. If they had gone all out on that I wouldn't have been upset with the cost. Its kinda cool but it just shows a glimpse of what could have been amazing. Hopefully they end up making a zelda maker soon.

I feel like adding multiplayer to an existing single player game could only result in mediocre play. I'd rather have something built from the ground up for either experience. Just my opinion though. I could see this being fun with this game, but I don't know what the longevity would be like.

I agree with you on the weapon mechanic for Breath of the Wild, but I actually love the game overall. However, I'm more of an exploration and laid-back type of player. Wandering around, occasionally doing plot related things, and doing the odd side-quest is what I'm all about. It's why I play things like Terraria or No Man's Sky, so Breath of the Wild felt pretty good to me. That said, I actually do prefer the more classic 3D Zelda formula with a more involved story, and slightly more linear approach. It feels a bit more focused for this style of adventure game. If I had to choose I'd choose the old style. However, I still really enjoy Breath of the Wild, and still keep jumping into it to wander around some more. I find it relaxing. I get different enjoyment out of both styles of play, and would be happy with more of either. Also, I didn't mind the blue fire thing. :p

Yeah, there were some dark times during the FMV era of gaming. :D

I would really like them to port over the Twilight Princess and Wind Waker enhanced editions from the Wii-U as well as the enhanced Ocarina and Majora from the 3DS (obviously with a few tweaks). It seems like the Switch would be a great place for all of these to be collected into one place. After playing the enhanced ones, I can't bring myself to go back to the originals. They feel a bit clunky now. (that coming from someone that still plays the original System Shock :D )

CDi Zelda games don't count. They weren't made or even acknowledge by Nintendo.

CDi Zelda games don't count. They weren't made or even acknowledge by Nintendo.

I actually don't acknowledge the CDi. :D I barely acknowledge the 3DO, which is less than the Jaguar, which is less than the CD32. There were some oddball systems during that rough 32 bit transition period. Getting a bit off topic, but games got weird for a minute, unless you just stuck with the Amiga, PC, 16 bit consoles, and then waited for the real successors (PS1, N64, Saturn, etc.) I did a metric TON of DOS gaming around then.

Having an absolute blast with Link's Awakening now. It hit the magical point of pulling me in, so I'm hooked now, and onto my third area/dungeon. Somehow I find it more fun now than I originally did on the GB/GBC, which is saying something since I generally prefer pixel-art to this sort of aesthetic. They really nailed the atmospheric side of the game though, and while it's simple, and definitely not as huge as LttP and LbW, it's very fun. I'm glad I picked it up. It may be on the simpler side of the Zelda range, but it's very polished, and just fun.

Same here...honestly I thought I would be disappointed at the full $60 price tag but if you don't enjoy this game then you obviously have no appreciation for the old school. This game is fantastic, great graphics, plays perfectly, updated for 2019 with a save feature - couldn't ask for anything more from a remake.

Same here...honestly I thought I would be disappointed at the full $60 price tag but if you don't enjoy this game then you obviously have no appreciation for the old school. This game is fantastic, great graphics, plays perfectly, updated for 2019 with a save feature - couldn't ask for anything more from a remake.

Agreed. I actually was wondering if I'd be disappointed as well, but not at all. I love a bigger, more modern and intricate Zelda (or any game in general), but this one has just the right mix of old-style, modern convenience, relaxed play, with just enough to do and explore. I've found it very relaxing, where my most recent, similar Zelda game was Link Between Worlds. That game is absolutely brilliant, but it's huge, can get a bit tricky in places, and requires a lot more attention. Link's Awakening has just been a nice and enjoyable stroll through the park. It has a bit of challenge, but nothing that's made me want to take a break from it.

I didn't see this game untill today looks nice like the music and the shield and all that.
I would get a switch for this game even but maybe not =)

I'm just about done with it (100%). I have one more boss, a couple more plot items that I put off to do some collecting, and that's about it.

I wasn't sure about the dungeon editor. The first four things are kind of a tutorial, so you have to build them a certain way to accomplish a goal. During that time only a small subset of the dungeon map tiles were available (in addition to some I collected). However, I just finished up those tutorials last night, and was alerted to the fact that I could build a dungeon from the ground up however I want. I'm not sure exactly how much freedom that affords, and if you can do any of the more in-depth things like place a chest that wasn't included in the tile (for example). It still seems kind of fun, and I plan to make a few dungeons for my daughter. She's been asking, but I've been so hooked on the game, I haven't done it. :D

I don't know why, but this one has been so addictive that I've been shirking minor responsibilities in the evenings to play it. :D If I'm doing some shirking, the game is typically pretty damned good. It's funny because I don't remember enjoying it as much 20-some years ago playing it on my GBC, or a few years before when I had the prototype of it for the GB.

Edit: One other thing that I forgot to mention. Because my memory of the original was so fuzzy, I didn't realize that there were characters in this that show up in later games. There are also some that while not identical, obviously inspired later ones. This happens in other games in the series obviously, but I didn't realize it went this far back. Nothing major, but kinda cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far the only thing I dislike about this is the random stutter and massive framerate dips. Really doesn't seem to be a reason why that is happening.

Otherwise, enjoying this quite a bit. Is it worth $60? Maybe not, but I got it as a gift so whatever. :D

So far the only thing I dislike about this is the random stutter and massive framerate dips. Really doesn't seem to be a reason why that is happening.

Otherwise, enjoying this quite a bit. Is it worth $60? Maybe not, but I got it as a gift so whatever. :D

I was noticing those a lot more before. I also agree that they were borderline distracting. When I was playing last night though, I didn't notice as much. Either I **gasp** got used to it (please say that isn't the case) or maybe they're quietly patching things? Not sure. I think I'll be finishing it off tonight.

Right now I'm playing the game of "I have 49 seashells, but can't figure out where the 1 I'm missing should be". :D

Finished it over the weekend. 100% except I didn't find the last two 1.5 heart containers. Didn't need them anyway. That was a really enjoyable game, and worth the price. My brain is still apparently on a Zelda kick, so I went back to Link Between Worlds on my N3DS.

Happens during loading new zones. Overclock helps a bit.

Well, after I beat this a week or so ago, I couldn’t stop, so I played Link Between Worlds. Then I started thinking about the Color Dungeon remake of the original Zelda Dungeon theme. Then today I decided to whip up my own version :D

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Links Awakening was the game that showed what the Gameboy was *really* capable of, and it blew peoples minds at the time.

It definitely was a good one for it, though at the time, I much preferred Final Fantasy Legend. In retrospect, I think Link's Awakening is the better game, but it didn't grab me as much at the time.

Well, after I beat this a week or so ago, I couldn’t stop, so I played Link Between Worlds. Then I started thinking about the Color Dungeon remake of the original Zelda Dungeon theme. Then today I decided to whip up my own version :D

not bad id done on the model samples only. I am not a fan of that device myself though.

not bad id done on the model samples only. I am not a fan of that device myself though.

Analog Rytm and Analog Four. (whipped up in about 30 minutes, so not exactly a masterpiece :D just for fun) I haven't had the M:S for a while. I actually really do like the M:S though. More for sitting back and playing around though, and less in the studio.

Hm, I actually never played this one. I should pick it up!

First Zelda game I played was OOT, which obviously I was obsessed with, still my fave game of all time, think I was in the 4th grade. Then played em all from then on but went back to Link to the Past on an emulator on my phone =D ...and beat it!

Never played the original or this one.

Back