The Legend of Zelda: A Mod to the Past (16-Bit Link)

thorkon

n00b

Time-lapse video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WS5ul7p6_c

Hi, it's my fourth modding year and coincidentally it's my 4th computer mod! I put this in the work-in-progress forum but it's done. I like to focus on the case until it's done then post the work log :D. This time I delve into the Zelda Universe and also experiment with 16-bit character models instead of the normal 8-bit. I got this together in about 5-6 weeks and due to more colors b/c of the 16-bit model it took longer to paint. I wasn't as good at taking pictures as I did last year with the 8-Bit White Mage but I still got a time lapse of the whole creation of the case.The link to the video is at the beginning/end of this post. This is the smallest case I have made in relation to room of the parts going in. Let's dive right in shall we:

Computer Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz
ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe AM3 AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX
ATI 6950
120 Gig SSD (1 Tb sata storage drive)
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333

The motherboard uses laptop memory which was surprising when I read it but has to do with the motherboards small size.

Starting out with the basic frame of Link's body.

After I began working on his head began to realize the space limitations in my apt and the tools that I needed to use. Also began to contemplate how I was gonna fit a mid to High end Pc inside this small case...

Head and Shoulders (TradeMark)

First view of the shield being in place

Link likes to rock. (O.O) \m/

Test sword in place after realizing how prominent it is to drill that deep in acryllic w/o a press to keep it straight.

LIGHT!!!!! Ok, not that exciting but it gives a nice glow :)

Got some paint on him but still needed to tighten up the lines

The test sword with a point

Aaaaaaaaannnnnddddddd the finished Mod!
j4McO.jpg

h7Jbr.jpg

77kIh.jpg

OXl7e.jpg

im8Ee.jpg

3bBbq.jpg

hxt6P.jpg

kQ41u.jpg

PDOUk.jpg

My facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/8bitbuilder

The youtube video link is right here: (couldn't figure out if embedding was possible)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WS5ul7p6_c

Last edited:
So this is like minecraft zelda? I can see all the work you put into it though, you deserve some applause for being so creative.

When did this become reddit? Hhaha, I am pretty sure I saw this one there. Good work.

that is sweet.
i'm reading along and I get to the end and you really did put a computer in there too (ok, so I don't read much when there's pictures to be had!) :D
nice work

Congrats on a job well done. Very impressed.

Zelda is by far one of the greatest games I've ever played.

I'm about to buy Skyward Sword as I hear it's absolutely amazing on the Wii.

Temps are about 35C idle but I haven't been able to test it yet. I was having trouble with the motherboard unlocking 6 cores (its a phenon X4) and the 2 extra cores was causing issues on getting temp readings. So far I ran Skyrim max for a hour with no slowdown (this was before I was able to fix the temp issue). I don't expect to much trouble as all the cases havent had a heat issue and I put a aftermarket heatsink on this build.

Back