The Last Windows 7

kakureru

2[H]4U
Anyone know where I can get a trustworthy universal ISO of windows 7 with all the updates up to MS's discontinuation.
I would prefer to not have to go through the trouble building it myself.

Unfortunately there is no source. You either use the original ISO or you have to trust whoever compiled the updates to the image. Using Windows is risky, using Windows7 now that it's EOL is super hazardous and using an ISO compiled by someone unknown is a hilariously bad idea. :ROFLMAO:

I understand, Im asking for a trusted source without saying the dirty "P" word in the land of software. ; )

I understand, Im asking for a trusted source without saying the dirty "P" word in the land of software. ; )
A vanilla ISO you can find with no problem but one with updates compiled in - you can trust no-one.

so you dont have a legit key to download the legit iso from ms?! the only isos with everything integrated are not from ms. you can make your own or take a chance on downloading one. you are better off to just use the ms iso and then update.

All you need is a serial to download it from MS. I can’t think of a more trustworthy source.

The ISO directly from MS would be quite dated. It's several years old. There was a sort-of "leaked" updated ISO but even that was in like 2016.

MS has no motivation to make a final updated ISO because people should be moving away from it.

it looks like ill just have to build up an existing ISO I already have. Guess I just need to stop being lazy about it.

edit; Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
The ISO directly from MS would be quite dated. It's several years old. There was a sort-of "leaked" updated ISO but even that was in like 2016.

MS has no motivation to make a final updated ISO because people should be moving away from it.
It's actually really stupid of Microsoft to not release an updated version ISO.

Hello I am new here my first post. I am still using Windows 7 on my old HP Desktop from 2010. I have a newer Dell XPS 8930 but this one has Microsoft Office 2016 I paid for I do not want to loose that. This old HP will run 7 as long as I can without problems. I will probably upgrade to 10 already done the free upgrade it's just a matter of upgrading again.

I encounter special cases where I need to have windows 7 or earlier. This is to have something on hand for quick install

Hello I am new here my first post. I am still using Windows 7 on my old HP Desktop from 2010. I have a newer Dell XPS 8930 but this one has Microsoft Office 2016 I paid for I do not want to loose that. This old HP will run 7 as long as I can without problems. I will probably upgrade to 10 already done the free upgrade it's just a matter of upgrading again.
You can get Office keys off Ebay for 7 dollars... Not much of a loss there.

i plan to mostly use offline hence the desire for completely updated image so I have even less reason to expose to internet.

Yes I know but I have had issues activating before. I just want to keep Windows 7 and when I get ready for 10 it will be upgrade. People make comments like Windows 7 takes so long updateing from scratch. I did a reinstall about a month ago with the HP recovery DVD's Windows 7 without sp1. It really didn't take long I already have sp1 and IE 11 downloaded. After that there are like 400 updates. So about 6 to 8 hours. I don't complain because it's Windows 7 the best after Windows XP.

Last edited:
You better have a firewalled or NATed internet if you keep a Windows 7 connected to internet during install :D

You better have a firewalled or NATed internet if you keep a Windows 7 connected to internet during install :D
i plan to mostly use offline hence the desire for completely updated image so I have even less reason to expose to internet.

Yes I know but I have had issues activating before. I just want to keep Windows 7 and when I get ready for 10 it will be upgrade. People make comments like Windows 7 takes so long updateing from scratch. I did a reinstall about a month ago with the HP recovery DVD's Windows 7 without sp1. It really didn't take long I already have sp1 and IE 11 downloaded. After that there are like 400 updates. So about 6 to 8 hours. I don't complain because it's Windows 7 the best after Windows XP.

my internet is 16Mbps and the computers I usually put 7 on are slow as hell. ;)

LOL, the apocalyptic attitude. Almost every pc is still w7 at work, and they all multiple updates regularly, how is that if its EOL?

they paid for extended support?! it is EOL.
No, they did not pay, because every IT decision goes through me. And most W7s are not even Enterprise but Professional versions, and they still get regular updates.

And they are missing out on how secure Windows 10 has become with Defender, running W7 across multiple PC's in a work environment is basically a cyber breach waiting to happen now.
I really really hope that is sarcasm.

I really really hope that is sarcasm.

I am not surprise in the least. Good luck with that, may it be on your head as you make every IT decision.

It case you really need to know, no it was not sarcasm, and yes it is a fact that W10 is far more secure than 7, even pre EOL. It is also a fact that W7 is EOL now, though I am glad you somehow still get updates without an extended service contract at least you are marginally more secure.

Last edited:
I am not surprise in the least. Good luck with that, may it be on your head as you make every IT decision.

It case you really need to know, no it was not sarcasm, and yes it is a fact that W10 is far more secure than 7, even pre EOL. It is also a fact that W7 is EOL now, though I am glad you somehow still get updates without an extended service contract at least you are marginally more secure.
I don't think you are in a position to preach about security when you would rely on windows defender for it.
Is W10 directly connected to the internet more secure than W7? Probably yes. Is it foolish to do it like that? Absolutely.
And don't forget that the biggest security hole is not on the computer, it sits in front of it, and you can't do anything against that.

FYI I did advise the money men mid 2019 that it's probably time to start upgrading every PC to win 10 to avoid potential trouble when it goes EOL I can't do it if they don't pay for it.

If you think running windows 7 eol is that big a deal, what do you think about the millions of intel computers that will never get fully patched against spectre/meltdown type attacks? Do you go around telling everyone to throw out their computer? Those are confirmed vulnerabilities, too. As opposed to W7 just being EOL.

I don't think you are in a position to preach about security when you would rely on windows defender for it.
Is W10 directly connected to the internet more secure than W7? Probably yes. Is it foolish to do it like that? Absolutely.
And don't forget that the biggest security hole is not on the computer, it sits in front of it, and you can't do anything against that.

FYI I did advise the money men mid 2019 that it's probably time to start upgrading every PC to win 10 to avoid potential trouble when it goes EOL I can't do it if they don't pay for it.

If you think running windows 7 eol is that big a deal, what do you think about the millions of intel computers that will never get fully patched against spectre/meltdown type attacks? Do you go around telling everyone to throw out their computer? Those are confirmed vulnerabilities, too. As opposed to W7 just being EOL.

LOL, I never said i rely entirely on windows defender, but its better than whatever you are using, and I run things on top of that.

Nice goalpost shifting and butt covering, typical of most IT I'm meet IRL. You advised it, yet here you are defending W7 like its somehow acceptable to add security risks in an office environment. You are the type of guy that causes the losses that I deal with.

Last edited:
LOL, I never said i rely entirely on windows defender, but its better than whatever you are using, and I run things on top of that.
If you don't rely on it, then why does it matter? You either rely on the windows inbuilt protection or you don't. You can't have it both ways. Talk about shifting goalposts.

Nice goalpost shifting and butt covering, typical of most IT I'm meet IRL.
Typical you read what you want not what I've written.
You know what's the worst mistake you made? I'm not even IT. I'm just so damned scrupulous that I advise the company heads when I learn relevant information. So when I learned that W7 is going eol this january I advised them to upgrade, oh how irresponsible of me.

You advised it, yet here you are defending W7
So you say I can't defend a nissan after advising someone to get a toyota because the warranty on the nissan runs out soon?
like its somehow acceptable to add security risks in an office environment.
What do you mean add? I personally added security risk by defending windows 7 on this forum? Going on a tangent are you?
I'm trying to point out that it is not black and white. But it falls on deaf ears. OK, people here's the deal: if you dare run windows 7 you're officially worse than hitler and stalin added together, is that whet you want to hear? LOL

You are the type of guy that causes the losses that I deal with.
Yeah, it makes sense that you'd think you have me all figured out based on two bits of misinterpreted information and personal bias.
I'm sure you base your stance on windows 7 vs windows 10 on the same amount of concrete information.

If you don't rely on it, then why does it matter? You either rely on the windows inbuilt protection or you don't. You can't have it both ways. Talk about shifting goalposts.

Typical you read what you want not what I've written.
You know what's the worst mistake you made? I'm not even IT. I'm just so damned scrupulous that I advise the company heads when I learn relevant information. So when I learned that W7 is going eol this january I advised them to upgrade, oh how irresponsible of me.

So you say I can't defend a nissan after advising someone to get a toyota because the warranty on the nissan runs out soon?

What do you mean add? I personally added security risk by defending windows 7 on this forum? Going on a tangent are you?
I'm trying to point out that it is not black and white. But it falls on deaf ears. OK, people here's the deal: if you dare run windows 7 you're officially worse than hitler and stalin added together, is that whet you want to hear? LOL

Yeah, it makes sense that you'd think you have me all figured out based on two bits of misinterpreted information and personal bias.
I'm sure you base your stance on windows 7 vs windows 10 on the same amount of concrete information.

You can absolutely run defender and AV software. Defender is a great product that you are missing and software can always have holes, doubling up is just more risk management at the cost of a little RAM and CPU.

You are defending W7 for some crazy reason in an office setting when W10 was a free upgrade (probably still is).

I made an interpretation that your IT given your post about every IT decision going through you. Sorry to offend you.

never said anything about hitler, but nice to see that old law still in effect. If you don't understand what adding risks means, then you should get out. Your office runs 7, that is an ever increasing risk factor in a very fast moving segment of the market. Claiming somehow its safe sends the wrong message and you know it because a few posts later you admitted you brought up moving to 10.

When every IT professional, website, and security conference start saying the same thing, its time to drop the stubborn I am right, learn, and move forward. The reason I am biased against you is that you are too stubborn, so you get the stick.

anyway, I'm done with you, carry on doing your thing, I do hope your company doesn't face any consequences. Being stubborn doesn't make you a bad guy, but it does make it easier for them to take you for a ride.

Edit: If you can prove windows 7 is just as secure, with independent facts not your opinion, you can change my mind.

Last edited:
If you don't care about avoiding the Win 7 telemetry updates, I think it is pretty simple. Install base Win 7, Download and Install SP1, Download and install the latest Rollup update. (might have to pick the last one before Win 7 went EOL) SP1 might be in one of the rollup options.

Last edited:
Alternatively, if you want to live on the edge, follow this tutorial. I am aware of several people/friends who have done exactly this, and I have had it on my old Dell Latitude 2120 netbook I browse in bed with for several months now.......nobody has reported any security or stability problems whatsoever. On my netbook when I did this, I did disable all remote desktop services and telemetry related services, as well as Windows update and am using Security Essentials (still gets definition updates) and free Malwarebytes, and Firefox with uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. Have yet to see any problems, yet machine runs quite well and 'just works'.......though I don't do any bill paying/etc with it, just general browsing.

The person who wrote this up is well respected on the askwoody.com forums.

http://www.canadiantech.info/for-techies/re-build-windows-7/rebuild-windows-7-july-2018/

No, they did not pay, because every IT decision goes through me. And most W7s are not even Enterprise but Professional versions, and they still get regular updates.
If Microsoft announced it stopped updating W7, who is sending still the updates to your computers?

I am gonna try it connected I think I should have NAT and Firewall built into my at&t Uvsese Modem.

Interesting link by
70 Polara
but if you are just going to browse the net, wouldn't you be better off gong to Linux? I have 1 machine left running 7 pro. All my other machines have moved to 10 with Shutup10 installed to limit some of the spying. I'm probably not going to update it since it runs just fine, but I did install all those updates after May 2017 per your link. The PC has the paid version of Malwarebytes installed with the paid version of Eset Internet Security.

Back