The Last Remnant Will Be Removed from Storefronts in September 2018

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Gamers who have the PC version of The Last Remnant on their wishlists should purchase the game straight away: Square Enix announced on Steam that it will stop selling the RPG after September 4, 2018 in North America and Europe, and September 5, 2018 in Japan. The digital console editions (e.g., Xbox Marketplace) do not appear to be affected.

The Last Remnant first appeared on the Xbox 360 in 2008, before appearing on PCs a year later in 2009. Players follow a young man named Rush, who was recruited into Athlum’s army and is trying to save his kidnapped sister. Along the way, he gets pulled into a conflict that will impact the entire world.

Honestly this game was great fun.

The game mechanics were difficult, but a min-maxer's dream, once you figured out the system.

It's unfortunate that Square Enix never made another game afterwards.

The game certainly had a sufficiently fleshed out world in terms of lore for more titles.

Steam 2018-08-25 13-43-39.png

I think I got it as part of a Humble Bundle. This game was originally released on Steam on April, 2009.

I don't get it.

What possible reason can a company have to tell people who want to give them money for their bits, "no, sorry, you can't pay us to buy this product legally anymore."?

Even if the sales are low, in what way does it affect them to just leave it there for sale for the few people who want it? It's not like they have to manufacture something to give to the customers.

I don't get it.

What possible reason can a company have to tell people who want to give them money for their bits, "no, sorry, you can't pay us to buy this product legally anymore."?

Even if the sales are low, in what way does it affect them to just leave it there for sale for the few people who want it? It's not like they have to manufacture something to give to the customers.
Typically is some license issue. Most the time using a copyright music that they for whatever reason lost the right too. Depending on the cost they are better off removing the game. They could be losing money on easy sale.

Story wasn't the best, the leveling system was wonky unless you know how to manipulate it, but if you love turn based RPGs, the gameplay is fantastic. One of my favorite non-mainstream RPGs. I have over 400 hours on it. Tons of ways to replay with different squads and attack loadouts. Shame if they don't resolve this.

I put in 209 hours into this game min maxing and grinding. I'd agree it was a pretty fun RPG once you learned how to grind levels fast.

It scratched the rpg itch for me better than other games have at the time.

At least now more Jprgs are launching on PC cause after reading this news i reminded me I want Dragon Quest XI but I can get it on PC now instead of just on PS4

I've owned it for years and never played it.

I bought it because the reviews from the cheerleaders on Steam were overwhelmingly positive, and it was on sale.

It has a solid intro, but once you get to the real game the combat becomes unpredictable and somewhat meaningless. I gave up after an hour and a half of total play (this was back before they offered refunds).

Read here why this game i not worth your time, unless you're the type who tirelessly min-maxes in hopelessly over complicated and overly-random JRPGs.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/23310/discussions/0/648814396098570472/

they're delisting it because I'm sure the number of buyers is near zero. It gets a last spurt of sales when you tell people they're killing it.

If I wanted my gaming to be life ruled by RNGs, I'd just stick to Rogue or Elite. What the fuck do you need a story for, when the entire battle system is just a dice roll? There's no real strategy; it's just react to each ransom overpowered enemy party and then do the exact same thing again.

Last edited:
Typically is some license issue. Most the time using a copyright music that they for whatever reason lost the right too. Depending on the cost they are better off removing the game. They could be losing money on easy sale.
Square Enix are known for doing this even on new games if they don't attract enough players.

It has a solid intro, but once you get to the real game the combat becomes unpredictable and somewhat meaningless. I gave up after an hour and a half of total play (this was back before they offered refunds).

Read here why this game i not worth your time, unless you're the type who tirelessly min-maxes in hopelessly over complicated and overly-random JRPGs.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/23310/discussions/0/648814396098570472/

There's really only 2 mechanics that need some explaining and min-maxing, and that is you need to form balanced parties, and turn off any skill that you don't want a character to use.
By turning off any skill or skill branch you don't want a character to level, they basically will always choose attacks or skills that fit the situation.

The guy in that post literally sounds like he stuck all his characters in a single party, which is the most likely explanation as to why he kept getting flanked to death by enemies.

There's really only 2 mechanics that need some explaining and min-maxing, and that is you need to form balanced parties, and turn off any skill that you don't want a character to use.
By turning off any skill or skill branch you don't want a character to level, they basically will always choose attacks or skills that fit the situation.

The guy in that post literally sounds like he stuck all his characters in a single party, which is the most likely explanation as to why he kept getting flanked to death by enemies.

So the game is pretending to manage the world's stupidest AI? Then it's exactly as-described in the post I made.

Ai makes sense for action RPGs, but for turn based games its just used to cover up bad game design (we've secretly replaced your party of seasoned travelers with a dice roll, can you manage to get them behaving as well as stupid apes with this terrible ai management system) ? Sounds fucking amazing!

This game is just as Golden as Dragon Warrior 4. Bring on the AI invasion!

Last edited:
Square Enix are known for doing this even on new games if they don't attract enough players.

last I heard their license on some middleware is expiring so they are pulling it from sales.

I hope square-enix does a better job with these kinda issues going forward because the still publish games I want on PC instead of on console every so often.

last I heard their license on some middleware is expiring so they are pulling it from sales.

I hope square-enix does a better job with these kinda issues going forward because the still publish games I want on PC instead of on console every so often.
Nosgoth didn't even make it out of early access and people poured a lot of money in to it and some people had hundred of dollars in skins.. They just shut it down. The fans/community even suggested to buy the game from Square-Enix, but they wouldn't have it.

Makes no sense. Game was a flop.

I think it's gained a bit of a cult following in the years since its launch. Not a big one, but the "remaster" is probably little more than a port of the PC version. Perhaps spruced up a little and modified to deal with whatever caused the delisting (if it was a licensing issue that caused it).

It makes perfect sense to remaster it.

There's some evidence that the majority of the copies were sold on PC, which makes sense because if you were Japanese, you probably didn't have a Xbox360.

The game is thoroughly a JRPG that was never released on Playstation, and that'll pretty much flop any game for that demographic.

Back