The Last Remnant PC : Horrible Performance?

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone else out there played The Last Remnant for PC? For some reason, I'm going down to a slideshow in battles, with all the shinies turned on at 1920x1080. Now, I know I'm maxing out the game (sans AA/AF forces), but really an Unreal 3 Engine game made for the 360 should be running smooth as butter on a Core i7 at 3.8, 6gb of DDR 1600, a 10,000RPM HDD, and 4870x2 2gb video card!

Does it just lack optimization, not get along with a certain driver variant (ATI 9.3 Win 7), or is there something I'm missing?

The 360 version was riddled with performance and technical problems, so I'm not surprised at all that the PC version has the same issues.

Has anyone else out there played The Last Remnant for PC? For some reason, I'm going down to a slideshow in battles, with all the shinies turned on at 1920x1080. Now, I know I'm maxing out the game (sans AA/AF forces), but really an Unreal 3 Engine game made for the 360 should be running smooth as butter on a Core i7 at 3.8, 6gb of DDR 1600, a 10,000RPM HDD, and 4870x2 2gb video card!

Does it just lack optimization, not get along with a certain driver variant (ATI 9.3 Win 7), or is there something I'm missing?

i figured it out turn down shadow all the way down
there's little to no difference graphic wise but performance hit is huge

Thanks! This definitely worked. All I had to do was turn down the Shadow Texture Resolution setting all the way to the left on the slider - I could even leave Shadow effects in battle on High with no performance hit. Now I'm running at >60fps.

I was reading through and was going to suggest the same thing. Glad you got it working. Gorgeous game. Square always gets my vote.

Oh, this is one of the RARE times that SquareEnix gives USA releases Japanese vocals! So please, if you like JRPGs, this is one to buy! Steam even has it for cheap!

The game seems to have some problems with ATI cards, oddly enough considering that the Xbox 360 uses an ATI GPU. All the people I've seen who've had problems used ATI cards, while everybody who had NVIDIA cards has no problems at all. With my 8800 GTS 512, the demo performed flawlessly on my machine.

i figured it out turn down shadow all the way down
there's little to no difference graphic wise but performance hit is huge

^ THIS -- I did this while trying out the demo on Steam when it came out and performance increased a lot.

How large is the demo for this? I'm on a slower connection and was just curious. Thanks =)

The game seems to have some problems with ATI cards, oddly enough considering that the Xbox 360 uses an ATI GPU. All the people I've seen who've had problems used ATI cards, while everybody who had NVIDIA cards has no problems at all. With my 8800 GTS 512, the demo performed flawlessly on my machine.

Mhm. I max out the game at 1920x1200 without a single problem on my 9800GTX, but I know people with ATI cards that have all sorts of performance problems. Hopefully ATI or SE fixes that.

How large is the demo for this? I'm on a slower connection and was just curious. Thanks =)

Little over a gig.

It's just that shadow texture option that was mentioned above. Other than that unnoticeable setting ATI performance is fine, don't get too excited.

meh..

just some shadow problem, turn down to low fix everything...

and there is no visual difference so far..

but I do experience a bit the same thing on my nVidia card, but not as much as on ATI....it just a little performance hit.. hard to notice...

Glad you got the problem fixed. I'm currently on the second half of the game and loved every moment of it.

Runs flawlessly on my 4870 1GB.

60FPS @ 1920x1080.

AA doesn't seems to work, though...

LOVE the game. Very nice battle system.

I pre-ordered the game on steam and played the demo a bit. I liked it. It still had some issues with texture popping (probably some sort of lazy caching going on).

Did they ever add a V.Sync option to the game menus or have it as a .ini option? The other problem I had with the game was that it sheared awfully.

I pre-ordered the game on steam and played the demo a bit. I liked it. It still had some issues with texture popping (probably some sort of lazy caching going on).

Did they ever add a V.Sync option to the game menus or have it as a .ini option? The other problem I had with the game was that it sheared awfully.

Vsync is there, but its labeled as "Maximum Frame Rate" or something like that. It can be set to limit the maximum FPS of the game to 30 or 60.

Back