The Last of Us: Part II

I wonder if the Permadeath setting removes the option to "replay current encounter." I probably only actually died a handful of times, but I used that option constantly. It re-loads surprisingly fast for a console came, too.

From what I understood, it starts from very beginning? Hence...permadeath? As in, permanent death?

There's an option to pause the game at any point and start any sequence in the game over. You can do the same with any chapter, too. They'd have to remove it for that difficulty.

Stuff that is annoying about thes game:
  • Everyone just runs through doors like they're not at risk of being killed at any minute.
  • Jump scares.
  • I'm not convinced that one thing is dead, this better not turn into a Resident Evil game.
  • FENCES, d'oh, WE'VE GOTTA GO AROUND. Excuse me while I craft ammo, explosives, and melee weapons; 'fraid all the tin snips and bolt cutters were broken down to build fences and this one is indestructible.
  • LPB agenda #ULTIMATECOUNTDOWN

Stuff that is annoying about thes game:
  • Everyone just runs through doors like they're not at risk of being killed at any minute.
  • Jump scares.
  • I'm not convinced that one thing is dead, this better not turn into a Resident Evil game.
  • FENCES, d'oh, WE'VE GOTTA GO AROUND. Excuse me while I craft ammo, explosives, and melee weapons; 'fraid all the tin snips and bolt cutters were broken down to build fences and this one is indestructible.
  • LPB agenda #ULTIMATECOUNTDOWN
Don't forget the ANNOYING FILM GRAIN!!!

totally looks like a man to me...
4b6x5f.jpg

CrossFit athlete Colleen Fotsch was used as Abby's body double in the game...honestly Fotsch looks way more feminine then Abby...

CrossFit athlete Colleen Fotsch was used as Abby's body double in the game...honestly Fotsch looks way more feminine then Abby...

Really? Just looking at her body, she looks considerably more bulky and masculine than Abby. They definitely toned down her thighs and upper body on Abby's character from her. Her thighs at 2:07 look insane. Either way though, I still don't get how her appearance merits any valid criticism when it's completely within the realm of reason in her setting.

As T4rd pointed out she is both bigger and more cut. Honestly, I think what you miss is the makeup. Colleen spends an insane amount of time and money on looking that good, and not just physically. I mean her makeup, hair and her brows always look perfect in every supposed spontaneous vlog video. It is done by professionals.
Not that there weren't muscular women even before bodybuilding supplements were invented but if getting supplements to get muscular in the tlou world is unrealistic, then having perfect skin and makeup is even more so.

So like...the dogs in this game are pretty annoying. Also, I don't like having to murder them. Can we talk about that instead?

Meh, I didn't mind them much. They were always the first to be taken out by a bow or silenced pistol so I didn't have to deal with them. I can't imagine how hard this game would be to sneak past every encounter, esp. those with dogs. But on my 2nd play through, I also just snuck like half way through some areas, then ran for the exit when that was an option. A lot of times they put those annoying blocked doors or something at the end of an area though to slow you down and make noise so you absolutely have to clear the area (at least near the door) to continue on.

I think it's pretty damn cool that we'll finally be able to turn off the film grain. I never saw the point of that "feature." Why force a (former) limitation of another medium on us in a video game? Hopefully they'll let you totally disable the motion blur at some point, too. As of now, turning it all the way down doesn't turn it off.

So like...the dogs in this game are pretty annoying. Also, I don't like having to murder them. Can we talk about that instead?

I didn't like it, but I'd use a nail bomb in my scent trail so they blew up. It was the quickest way I could think of to off them, the most "humane" way.

I usually just used a silenced pistol to take out the dogs. Shoot their handler in the head and a lot of the dogs would just stay with the body or would at least be surprised for a couple seconds. If the dog has already been released, I typically ran to a secluded corner and just waited for them. The human enemies usually stand around after they release the dog, so you don't have to worry about multiple attackers. Any shot remotely near the dog's head is 1-shot fatal.
This is a game where you're all but forced to brutally kill at least 100 people. Most of them have names and even a little dialogue if they aren't totally alone. A few dogs felt easy by comparison.

Don't forget the ANNOYING FILM GRAIN!!!
I didn't even notice the film grain, maybe it's not really there, maybe you're just being blinded by rage because, face it, you hate diversity (I'm joking). What's the resolution that you play at (720/1080/4K)? I'm on a 58" 4K TV and I guess I sit too far back (10+ feet) to notice it. After you mentioned it, I had to get about 5 feet away from the TV before I could see it. It's that darn rain that's interfering with the film grain! Also, I'm blind. I'll toggle it off once I get the update and see how that looks.

It only took me a couple times getting tracked and mauled before I started targeting them first. I typically take them out with the bow. Afterwards, you're welcome to go comfort them to ensure they die knowing they were loved.

I didn't even notice the film grain, maybe it's not really there, maybe you're just being blinded by rage because, face it, you hate diversity (I'm joking). What's the resolution that you play at (720/1080/4K)? I'm on a 58" 4K TV and I guess I sit too far back (10+ feet) to notice it. After you mentioned it, I had to get about 5 feet away from the TV before I could see it. It's that darn rain that's interfering with the film grain! Also, I'm blind. I'll toggle it off once I get the update and see how that looks.

It only took me a couple times getting tracked and mauled before I started targeting them first. I typically take them out with the bow. Afterwards, you're welcome to go comfort them to ensure they die knowing they were loved.

I played like 4-5' from my 65" 4K OLED and the film gain was pretty distracting and annoying to me at times. I was surprised to see there wasn't an option to disable it too or at least adjust it like the motion blur.

I just got the update installed and will check it out in a bit.

As T4rd pointed out she is both bigger and more cut. Honestly, I think what you miss is the makeup. Colleen spends an insane amount of time and money on looking that good, and not just physically. I mean her makeup, hair and her brows always look perfect in every supposed spontaneous vlog video. It is done by professionals.
Not that there weren't muscular women even before bodybuilding supplements were invented but if getting supplements to get muscular in the tlou world is unrealistic, then having perfect skin and makeup is even more so.

is the DLC going to show Abby's steroid backstory?

I usually just used a silenced pistol to take out the dogs. Shoot their handler in the head and a lot of the dogs would just stay with the body or would at least be surprised for a couple seconds. If the dog has already been released, I typically ran to a secluded corner and just waited for them. The human enemies usually stand around after they release the dog, so you don't have to worry about multiple attackers. Any shot remotely near the dog's head is 1-shot fatal.
This is a game where you're all but forced to brutally kill at least 100 people. Most of them have names and even a little dialogue if they aren't totally alone. A few dogs felt easy by comparison.

That's fair. I guess I just have a problem aiming for headshots in this game. Would love to play it with a mouse instead. The aim assist doesn't really help that much, unfortunately.

Actually, if they had some sort of slow-mo like in HZD, that would be ideal. It looks like they are adding some sort of slow-mo in the next patch, but I assume that's an accessibility option rather than an in-game upgrade.

So you're ok brutally murdering hundreds of people, watching the blood drain out of their severed carotids, but you draw the line at dogs. I think we should talk about that instead.

they are fictional characters in a video game. why feel bad about killing any of them!?

That's fair. I guess I just have a problem aiming for headshots in this game. Would love to play it with a mouse instead. The aim assist doesn't really help that much, unfortunately.

Actually, if they had some sort of slow-mo like in HZD, that would be ideal. It looks like they are adding some sort of slow-mo in the next patch, but I assume that's an accessibility option rather than an in-game upgrade.

Not unique to this game, I've long felt the Playstation analog sticks sucked for aiming. It's why I use the Xbox pad on the PC when both work fine. The game's aim is a little touchy to begin with, but I'm convinced the controller is partially to blame, too. Hell, I think that's one reason playing online FPS's on the two systems is night and day skewed toward the Xbox. Some of it might be skill, but I think some of it is the touchy analog aiming.

So you're ok brutally murdering hundreds of people, watching the blood drain out of their severed carotids, but you draw the line at dogs. I think we should talk about that instead.

I mean, they're clearly murderers and they have a choice. The dogs don't.

I mean, they're clearly murderers and they have a choice. The dogs don't.

Not everyone you kill is a murderer. I'm sure some are, but there are plenty of people that you take out that simply happen to be between you and where you want to be.

Actually the film grain is only annoying if you play sans HDR. I turned off HDR to take a few screenshots and only then I noticed the film grain, in HDR mode it's like not even there.

Last edited:
Back