The Last of Us: Part II

would Sony/Naughty Dog actually release this on PC in the future?...

The Last of Us Part 2 job listing asks for PC, DX12 and Nvidia experience

https://www.pcgamer.com/last-of-us-part-2-pc-rumours/

I'd say that has more to do with the similarities between that PC hardware and the next gen PS5 console, as they have already said it will have hardware RT support like Nvidia's current hardware does. Because you know they're going to re-release TLoU 2 on PS5 just like they did for the original TLoU on PS4 with the remastered release.

It would be awesome if Sony kind of followed in MS's path and started porting their games to PC, but they don't have the incentive that MS has with them owning the Windows/PC platform as well. So I don't see that happening or if it does, then they will have least have timed exclusives on PS5 with their ports taking up to a year to launch on PC afterwards.

Oh, I know. I used to have a rather large figurine collection. Not as much space in my current apartment, but I still have a few scattered about.

So I totally understand why people buy these, it was more that I was surprised they used a video when a couple hi-res photos would suffice.

Oh, I know. I used to have a rather large figurine collection. Not as much space in my current apartment, but I still have a few scattered about.

So I totally understand why people buy these, it was more that I was surprised they used a video when a couple hi-res photos would suffice.

Kids these days like epic videos.

I Pre-Ordered The Ellie Edition.:)

last 2.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap I love everything about this idea!

'The Last of Us' Series in the Works at HBO From 'Chernobyl' Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/last-us-series-works-at-hbo-chernobyl-creator-1282707

Thanks, I hate it.

The current game is one of my favorite of all time, so I don't have much confidence that they'll be able to maintain the characters consistently between the games and show, even with Druckmann onboard. The game is very much highly scripted and narrative driven to begin with as well, so I don't agree with watering it down further with a separate show. This seems like selling out to me because of that.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but as always, it's much easier for them to get this wrong than right. It seems they're going to just be covering the first game's story with the series so far, but I'd prefer they base it off of one of the game's side characters like Tommy or Bill than just rehash the same story of the first game following Joel and Ellie.

...but I'd prefer they base it off of one of the game's side characters like Tommy or Bill than just rehash the same story of the first game following Joel and Ellie.

I agree 100%. That's one of the biggest reasons why Video games converted to the screen fail, is the story is already done, and, they cannot recreate it, no matter how hard they try.
A side story though, in a universe that they've created and is full of potential, has plenty of fruit to pick from for a stellar show. The first episode or two can have Joel & Ellie, but make them side characters.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Last edited:
Casting has got to be on point with this. If they cast some 20 year old millennial with no wrinkles and plucked/trimmed/waxed eyebrows as JOEL I will not be watching it.
That person would be gen Z not millennial, but I get what you're saying.

As Naughty Dog Crunches On The Last Of Us II, Developers Wonder How Much Longer This Approach Can Last

Many who have worked at Naughty Dog over the years describe it as a duality—as a place that can be simultaneously the best and the worst workplace in the world...working at Naughty Dog means designing beloved, critically acclaimed games alongside artists and engineers who are considered some of the greatest in their fields. But for many of those same people, it also means working upwards of 12-hour days and even weekends when the studio is in crunch mode, sacrificing their health, relationships, and personal lives at the altar of the game

“They do try to take care of you, providing food, encouragement to go take breaks,” said one former developer. “But for the most part, the implication is: ‘Get the job done at all costs.’”...

https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962

Naughty Dog isn't the only company that crunches, from what I know, it's pretty standard in the industry. That was an interesting read though.

Just delay the fucking game...we have so many games coming out as-is, don't kill your developers to get it out a few months early.

no matter how many times they delay the game the last few months are always going to be a major crunch...

Logic would dictate that eventually the game would be ready(ish)...it's always going to require some sort of post-launch support.

Logic would dictate that eventually the game would be ready(ish)...it's always going to require some sort of post-launch support.

They tried that approach with duke nukem forever, see where that got them.

Wish I could put a mini-poll in threads or something:

So who thinks Joel is done for in this game? I bet he dies in the first half and it just fuels Ellie's rage for whatever clan she's going after. That's what I would expect from any other story like this, but hope ND surprises us and keep him around until the end at least and also I hope we get to play through a chapter or two as Joel again like we did Ellie in the first game and its DLC as well.

Also I really hope Bill comes back for a cameo at least too. Something about him I really liked.

The Last of Us Part 2 delayed "until further notice"

Sony says the release of The Last of Us Part 2 and Marvel's Iron Man VR will be delayed "until further notice" as a result of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic..."Logistically, the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve"...Naughty Dog elaborated further in its own follow-up statement, reassuring fans that development on The Last of Us Part 2 is "nearly done" and that the studio is currently "in the midst of fixing our final bugs"...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/2/2...-delayed-indefinitely-coronavirus-iron-man-vr

Why would you like that news?

"the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve "
What does that even mean? Now when we need entertainment the most to not go stir crazy, they do this? I don't care about freaking launch parties and events, just give me the game, nothing about the situation prevents digitial distribution, and most logistic companies work just as before, in fact better. I never got next day delivery in my entire life on anything, now I ordered sg and got it the next day, never happened before, so don't talk to me about logistics.

This is just greed, they are afraid they'd loose brick and mortar sales if they released the game now, FU Sony. It's not even now, by end of May the worst of the pandemic will be behind us.

"the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve "
What does that even mean? Now when we need entertainment the most to not go stir crazy, they do this? I don't care about freaking launch parties and events, just give me the game, nothing about the situation prevents digitial distribution, and most logistic companies work just as before, in fact better. I never got next day delivery in my entire life on anything, now I ordered sg and got it the next day, never happened before, so don't talk to me about logistics.

This is just greed, they are afraid they'd loose brick and mortar sales if they released the game now, FU Sony. It's not even now, by end of May the worst of the pandemic will be behind us.
Lol.... You're kidding, right?

Lol.... You're kidding, right?
Why would you like a game getting delayed out of greed? Or any reason for that matter.

This crisis really shows who are the good guys and who aren't. Good guys bring forward their releases, or at least don't delay them, the bad guys care for nothing but the bottom line.

I'm guessing the new release date for LoU 2 will be September...and if that's the case I'd rather just wait and get it for the PS5...

Why would you like a game getting delayed out of greed? Or any reason for that matter.

This crisis really shows who are the good guys and who aren't. Good guys bring forward their releases, or at least don't delay them, the bad guys care for nothing but the bottom line.

If you want there are some valid reasons to delay the game. To me it seems they have problems getting the physical media made or distributed and want ot avoid the digital crowd to spoil the game for the others.

Or they fear that releasing the game as digital only would crash the internet at a time where even 170kb updates in steam get pushed back for days as data saving measure. while I doubt it would crash the internet, it might take a long time to get the game downloaded which in turn would lead to a giant beating on the internets due to the bad experience/support.

If you want there are some valid reasons to delay the game. To me it seems they have problems getting the physical media made or distributed and want ot avoid the digital crowd to spoil the game for the others.

Or they fear that releasing the game as digital only would crash the internet at a time where even 170kb updates in steam get pushed back for days as data saving measure. while I doubt it would crash the internet, it might take a long time to get the game downloaded which in turn would lead to a giant beating on the internets due to the bad experience/support.

it might also have to do with the subject matter of the game- the breakdown of society due to the spread of a highly contagious virus...might be a little too similar to real life and Naughty Dog/Sony want to avoid any controversy or get labeled as being insensitive

it might also have to do with the subject matter of the game- the breakdown of society due to the spread of a highly contagious virus...might be a little too similar to real life and Naughty Dog/Sony want to avoid any controversy or get labeled as being insensitive
There will still be twitiots writing about the insensitivity in september or whenever they graciously decide to release the game some have already paid for and was already delayed by months once.

PS: Anyone confusing a repository illness with a zombie apocalypse, should be locked in a mental institute, and not pandered to.

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this

Of course I understand there can be delays in manufacturing and distribution, and I'd understand delays caused by that. But this announcement says they are not even going to try to deliver on time, or as soon as possible. I see that as a betrayal of the fans.

The internet breaking is a hoax. Since the start of "stay home" average traffic increased by a mere 10-20%, that's not going to break the internet. People already used the internet at work to stream music and download stuff, being home doesn't change much.

The statement said the game isn't ready. Delaying the game to reduce Corona risk is absolutely the right thing to do for their employees.

The statement said the game isn't ready. Delaying the game to reduce Corona risk is absolutely the right thing to do for their employees.
Actually that is not what they said. "Logistics" seems to be why.

“Logistically, the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve,” Sony said in a statement. Sony has also delayed Iron Man VR.

Update: SIE has made the difficult decision to delay the launch of The Last of Us Part II and Marvel's Iron Man VR until further notice. Logistically, the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve.
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) April 2, 2020
“We were faced with the reality that due to logistics beyond our control, we couldn’t launch The Last of Us Part II to our satisfaction,” Naughty Dog said about the delay in a statement. “We want to make sure everyone gets to play The Last of Us Part II around the same time, ensuring that we’re doing everything possible to preserve the best experience for everyone. This meant delaying the game until such a time where we can solve these logistic issues.”

“We’re hoping that this won’t be a long delay and we’ll update you as soon as we have new information to share,” the statement continued.

A message from us about the delay of The Last of Us Part II:

Naughty Dog elaborated further in its own follow-up statement, reassuring fans that development on The Last of Us Part 2 is "nearly done" and that the studio is currently "in the midst of fixing our final bugs"...
Puterguru you're wrong. They said what I said they had.

Naughty Dog is a business. They don't make games as a personal favor to you, they make them to make money. Making money is what lets them make more games. If they feel the current global pandemic means they will make less money and hurt their business, that's not greed, that's being smart. Launching a major product of any kind is stupid right now. It's why all movies have been delayed. It's why Nvidia hasn't announced what their upcoming plans are yet. The economy is in disarray, and it's going to stay that way for a while, far longer than whenever this illness peaks.

Doing a physical release of a highly anticipated video game is foolish right now. It will bring people unnecessarily out of their homes and put strain on businesses and shipping companies that are trying to focus on delivering essential goods. To do a digital release now and a physical release later, that's just a bad idea. Not everyone wants to purchase their games digitally. Making a subset of your customers wait IS bad business. That opens up the risk of having things spoiled for them. If I were wanting the game physically, I'd be pissed being forced to wait for my preferred delivery method.

Quite honestly, I think you're the one being greedy here. It's just a video game, there are far more important things happening in the world right now. Waiting a few more months should ultimately mean little difference to you, but it's a potentially massive difference for them.

Selfish much?

This is an incredibly expensive game and most AAA sales are still physical. It would be stupid to release this digital-only.

You clearly don't seem to understand what logistics means. Production facilities that make and ship physical items are not all going to be up and running and those that are are not likely running at full capacity. Many retailers right now are prioritizing essential items and will continue to do so as long as the pandemic lasts.

So you have a crystal ball and can see into the future for when the pandemic will end? Even if things were to return to normal (whatever normal ends up looking like after this) in May that still wouldn't be enough time for all production facilities to get back up to full speed and get copies sent around the entire world (assuming the rest of the world also returns to normal at the same time) for a late May launch.

Sony is a FOR PROFIT company. Why the fuck do you think they make video games? It's not because they care if you're happy or want to make you feel better.

While I understand the business move of delaying the game, I wonder how well the game would have still sold if they did do a digital-only release with whatever limited physical releases they could do too. I know a lot of people still prefer physical copies or don't have internet available to download it, but if they have internet at all, I'm sure this would drive a lot of people over to digital copies and they should still be able to pre-load it within the 2-3 days they give you before the game releases even if they have a crappy 5Mb or less connection. They could even extend the pre-load window by a few more days to help ensure everyone can download it in time for launch.

Just spit-balling it though; I'm sure there were other factors that led to the delay and that ND would enjoy the opportunity to develop and test the game further before release. I'll go ahead and call Ghosts of Tsushima's delay being announced within the next month or so as well. I just wonder if they're going to have to push the next-gen consoles to next year because of this stuff too, which I'm totally fine with really at this point. Because it would be pretty awkward for them to release these last few exclusives so close to the next-gen console's launch and not have versions of the game ready for those consoles as well, unless they're somehow working features into these games to take better advantage of the PS5 hardware with its BC capabilities (a 4K60 mode would be great like they did with TLoU Remastered).

Regardless, you know Sony/ND are planning on either porting this game to PS5 somehow other than simply relying on PS4 BC to play it on there, either with a whole separate "Remastered" release or with special PS5 features baked into the PS4 game (kind of like a PS4 Pro Ultra Plus Max, lol). For PR's sake though, I would hope that they would honor people's PS4 game purchase and let that count as the PS5 version as well like how Cyberpunk 2077 Xbone copies will carry over to Series X, unless they plan to add a bunch of additional content to the PS5 version like multiplayer and additional DLC, which could easily be separate paid-DLC on the PS5 as well so you're not forced to buy it again for $60.

any more delays and they should have just launched this as a PS5 launch title...

this really needed to be a PS5 launch title...now they are stuck in a weird situation with this game coming out a few weeks before the PS5 or maybe even after the PS5 launch

this really needed to be a PS5 launch title...now they are stuck in a weird situation with this game coming out a few weeks before the PS5 or maybe even after the PS5 launch
They would get no where near the sales. Over 100 million ps4s out there atm. You know there will be a short supply of PS5 at launch and well into the new year. Then they can double dip with a PS5 version later. The smart thing to do is have it forward compatible with the PS5. Taking advantage of all the hardware. That won't happen more then likely. Sony is becoming more anti consumer while MS is becoming more pro-consumer.

True, but I have a feeling they'll work in a "PS5 mode" that allows 60fps or something like that, sort of a middle ground that isn't a native PS5 version but gives early adopters something and positive press for both the game and the new console.

I think you can be certain that, at the very least, the game will be supported by PS5 at launch. I also think it's highly likely they are actively developing an enhanced PS5 version that will take advantage of that console. My guess is we see 1080p30 on PS4, with a bump in resolution on Pro. PS5 will give us 40k60, and possibly other visual updates as well. This allows them to bill it as a PS5 launch title withit loosing out on the sales of the massive PS4 install base.

I still think it would be an awesome move if Sony made PS5 games forward compatible with PS4. It would be a similar setup to how PS4 Pro games work.

While it would likely slow PS5 console sales at first, it would be huge for software sales (where the company makes the most money) and also effectively "lock-in" their lead with the PS4 install base.

Once PS4 owners start buying PS4 compatible PS5 games, they start a collection, they are invested and less likely to buy an XBX. And it would be a nice gesture to PS4 owners who maybe can't afford a PS5.

It's honestly a great strategy but I would be surprised if they actually do it.

Back