The Last of Us Part I

DLSS even on quality also seems jacked up after the patch. The area I was in looked horrible with lots of shimmering and aliasing especially when I had my flashlight pointed at things. I mean I could see the lines crawling on Ellie's backpack and her hair just fizzling and the wall was shimmering. I turned off DLSS and the image cleared right up and looked so much better.

Have not looked at this patch yet. But DLSS had a number of visual issues (like it does in all games) before the patch. In this game it was mainly things in the distance. Skyscraper windows would have lots of jittery lines along the windows. Very noticeable when moving. Things up close generally looked the same. Would be disappointing if it looked worse with this patch.

New patch reduces shader compilation times, further improves CPU performance, and addresses some known crashes. Nothing was mentioned about DLSS.

https://feedback.naughtydog.com/hc/...Last-of-Us-Part-I-v1-0-5-0-Patch-Notes-for-PC
  • Reduced shader building times
  • Optimized code to improve global CPU performance
  • Optimized content to improve performance across several levels
  • Improved level loading to help reduce the amount of 'Please Wait' and loading screens
  • Added a new Effects Density setting, which adjusts the density and number of non-critical visual effects (Options > Graphics)
  • Increased crowd sizes on Low and Medium Ambient Character Density settings and added a Very Low option (Options > Graphics)
  • Implemented additional scalability tuning for Low and Medium in-game Graphics settings
  • Reduced the VRAM impact of texture quality settings, allowing most players to increase their texture quality settings or experience improved performance with their current settings
  • Fixed a crash that would occur on boot on Windows 11
  • Fixed a crash that could occur on Intel Arc
  • Fixed a crash that may occur when starting a New Game in Left Behind prior to the completion of shader building
  • Corrected an issue where pointing the camera at the floor while aiming would cause the player and camera to visually stutter
  • Fixed an issue where Sniping Sensitivity settings were not applying to all scoped weapons. Additionally, Sniping Sensitivity has been renamed to Scoped Sensitivity (Options > Controls > Mouse Camera Sensitivity)
  • Fixed an issue where players could not click on 'Jump To Unbound' when prompted in the custom controls settings (Options > Controls > Input > Customize Controls)
  • Fixed an issue where changing Graphics settings (Options > Graphics > Graphics Preset) during gameplay wouldn't restart the player at the correct checkpoint
  • Fixed an issue where adjustments to Lens Flare (Options > Graphics > Visual Effects Settings > Lens Flare) were not not applied
  • [Pittsburgh] Fixed an issue where players may consistently fall out-of-world when restarting at the checkpoint in the bookstore
  • [Left Behind] Fixed an issue where players may get soft locked when jumping into the electrified water

AMD-Specific

• Implemented improvements to load times
  • Fixed an issue where shaders may take an abnormally long time to load

New patch reduces shader compilation times, further improves CPU performance, and addresses some known crashes. Nothing was mentioned about DLSS.

https://feedback.naughtydog.com/hc/...Last-of-Us-Part-I-v1-0-5-0-Patch-Notes-for-PC
  • Reduced shader building times
  • Optimized code to improve global CPU performance
  • Optimized content to improve performance across several levels
  • Improved level loading to help reduce the amount of 'Please Wait' and loading screens
  • Added a new Effects Density setting, which adjusts the density and number of non-critical visual effects (Options > Graphics)
  • Increased crowd sizes on Low and Medium Ambient Character Density settings and added a Very Low option (Options > Graphics)
  • Implemented additional scalability tuning for Low and Medium in-game Graphics settings
  • Reduced the VRAM impact of texture quality settings, allowing most players to increase their texture quality settings or experience improved performance with their current settings
  • Fixed a crash that would occur on boot on Windows 11
  • Fixed a crash that could occur on Intel Arc
  • Fixed a crash that may occur when starting a New Game in Left Behind prior to the completion of shader building
  • Corrected an issue where pointing the camera at the floor while aiming would cause the player and camera to visually stutter
  • Fixed an issue where Sniping Sensitivity settings were not applying to all scoped weapons. Additionally, Sniping Sensitivity has been renamed to Scoped Sensitivity (Options > Controls > Mouse Camera Sensitivity)
  • Fixed an issue where players could not click on 'Jump To Unbound' when prompted in the custom controls settings (Options > Controls > Input > Customize Controls)
  • Fixed an issue where changing Graphics settings (Options > Graphics > Graphics Preset) during gameplay wouldn't restart the player at the correct checkpoint
  • Fixed an issue where adjustments to Lens Flare (Options > Graphics > Visual Effects Settings > Lens Flare) were not not applied
  • [Pittsburgh] Fixed an issue where players may consistently fall out-of-world when restarting at the checkpoint in the bookstore
  • [Left Behind] Fixed an issue where players may get soft locked when jumping into the electrified water

AMD-Specific

• Implemented improvements to load times
  • Fixed an issue where shaders may take an abnormally long time to load
This game in good shape now? Would like to hear any thoughts considering the condition it was released in.

If you have a higher end PC it will be fine. Maybe these texture and level fixes will make it more doable with older GPUs without turning down the settings too much.

Have not played it with the new patches yet, so not sure if they messed up DLSS or fixed it.

This game in good shape now? Would like to hear any thoughts considering the condition it was released in.

I've had it since launch, played the game on a 3080 Ti and now on a 4090, the fps remains similar between both cards in this game, probably within 20fps of each other with the later patches.

Anyway this latest patch thought:

1: Shader compilation is broken down into two stages that run side by side, one for the main game, the other for Left Behind. Left behind runs slower whilst the main game shaders build, then Left Behind runs fast once finished. The main story shaders compiled in 7 mins 59s, it took another 1m 27s for the Left behind shaders to compile. A massive improvement. It took 23-26 minutes before when compiling shaders.

2: Save load times remain unchanged, in fact slightly longer, 28s to load any save whereas I clocked 24s in the last patch.

3: The 2 new density settings default to medium, so you will need to change them to ultra.

4: At native rendering (DLSS/FSR off) VRAM use appears dramatically reduced now. At 3440x1440 VRAM use is under 9GB (game only). At a render scale set to 160 which is a res of 5504x2304, VRAM use is 11.3GB for the game only. You can comfortably run the game in on a 12GB card at 4K no worries now. You could get even lower VRAM use by enabling FSR/DLSS. So 4K on a 10GB card? Yeah no VRAM issues...

5: Shader stuttering/performance. Only a quick blast loading some old saves but noticed no issues. At 5504x2304 (render scale 160) I get over 60fps, I mention this because even at 140 before I was getting 45-60fps. At 3440x1440 the framerate remains similar to before (~100 give or take), and my old 3080 Ti also got not far off this (85-100 ish) - The 4090 bounces around the 90-115fps range depending on whether outside or inside. Enabling DLSS or FSR makes minimal, if any, difference to framerates.

6: Speaking of DLSS, FSAA is still broken when using DLSS at any quality setting. FSR as a result still looks better than DLSS in this game. Annoying, but an upscaler is not needed in this game really given how well it runs at native, only really for those who want to reduce VRAM usage, or increase sharpness that an upscaler allows. Stick to FSR2 I'd say as it looks better due to having AA, but also artefacts around water may be more obvious using FSR vs DLSS - Swings and roundabouts... Native is my mode of choice.

7: All physical CPU cores were hovering above 50% utilisation in the time I was mooching about.
Overall a welcome patch, but annoying that DLSS still has broken AA.

FFS this patch is 49 GB.

Anyway my experience playing the game to completion on the previous patch was not bad at all from a performance standpoint but the game had lots of little technical issues. As I mentioned earlier in this thread the textures appear downgraded on that previous patch as well as it breaking DLSS. I saw the occasional flickering on certain things but I even saw that a couple times on the PS4 when playing Last of Us part 2. Really the game just kind of has a noisy appearance in many areas almost like a moiré effect. Next the flashlight in a couple areas caused a weird fizzling shimmering on some surfaces. I also saw a couple of white areas one of which was huge. I saw the occasional strange thing such as glass turning into bricks or massive LOD changes when viewed at certain distances or angles. The god rays were very unnatural looking and WAY worse than what is on the PS5. And at the dam, the water reflections were really broken and very distracting.

Patch 1.1 is now live for The Last of Us Part I on PC

Downloading this patch will trigger a full shader rebuild

-Optimizations to improve global CPU and GPU performance throughout the game
-Overall improvements to texture and environment loading
-Improved shader compilations times
-Added a new Very Low graphics preset (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets)
-Added a new AI Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
-Added a new Dynamic Lights Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)

full patch notes at the link below...
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1888930/view/3663162167656884710

I’m playing through this game right now.

I bought this day one on the pc, and, having never played it (because I’ve never owned a console), I had pretty high expectations, which were not met during the first few hours. It didn’t help any that the game stuttered almost continuously.

This was on a 3090/9900k at 4K, and I’ve since upgraded to a 4090/7800x3d. What a difference a few patches and a hardware upgrade makes. Finally I can enjoy this game now. I’m mostly at 120 FPS, maxed out, with DLSS on Quality.

The gameplay itself feels a little dated, but the story is terrific - games aren’t novels or movies, and they shouldn’t try to be, and this game doesn’t… but it does know how to hook you. The two characters seem like real people almost.

But, again, if the game doesn’t run well, then it’s just no fun at all.

After all the various patches and updates, is this running pretty well on normal hardware now? My wife needs something to play.

After all the various patches and updates, is this running pretty well on normal hardware now? My wife needs something to play.
It looks like YOU have the requisite hardware. LOL.

Also, congratulations on finding a lady who likes to game. Not easy, that.

It looks like YOU have the requisite hardware. LOL.

Also, congratulations on finding a lady who likes to game. Not easy, that.

She's not a huge gamer, but she digs sci-fi and RPG games. Her system is my hand-me-downs, but it's still pretty powerful. It's a 3090+5800X, but she's capped at 1080p thanks to her monitor. I figure it should last her quite a while as a result.

She's not a huge gamer, but she digs sci-fi and RPG games. Her system is my hand-me-downs, but it's still pretty powerful. It's a 3090+5800X, but she's capped at 1080p thanks to her monitor. I figure it should last her quite a while as a result.
The Last of Us should run pretty well on your wife’s rig at 1080p, I reckon.

Also, she might like Detroit Become Hunan.

I started playing this game yesterday. Shaders took about 5-10 minutes to build on my system, they were done by the time I had my settings configured. I'm about an hour into the game, just met Ellie no issues yet, runs very smooth. Seems like a good game.

How is this on a lowly 7900 XTX (everyone in this damn thread has a 4090 lol) and something like a 5800X?

How is this on a lowly 7900 XTX (everyone in this damn thread has a 4090 lol) and something like a 5800X?
7900XTX should be able to get atleast 60 FPS at Native 4K/Ultra. The game also has FSR 2.2 if you want higher framerates. 5800X is a good CPU, wouldn't worry about it.

I noticed that as well… so many of us owning 4090s.

An older… excuse me, more ‘mature’ group here?
Well I'm 36 and I think I'm probably younger than a good amount of people here, I would suspect most are within 10 years of my age. This is an old forum. My first post is from 2007. So yeah, definitely 'mature'.

Last edited:
I noticed that as well… so many of us owning 4090s.

An older… excuse me, more ‘mature’ group here?

1686877058718.png

I am wondering if I should pick up this POS now that it might be fixed. I already played the original, couldn't replay the remaster. Never bought the remake since I was waiting for PC.

I love Last of Us games!

Decided to try the last patch. When I played this game around a month or so back, it generally worked well enough. Still seemed like there could be room for improvements but ran decently well on my RTX 4070. But the current version is quite a bit better. Frame rates are higher. With DLSS off I am getting slightly lower frame rates than the previous builds with DLSS on. I have also turned up all the settings to max, except motion blue and depth of field which I turn off for all games. Performance is still higher despite the settings being higher. Previously I used a mix of high/ultra high and DLSS. Now if I use everything at ultra with DLSS aside from the aforementioned settings, I get a good 15-20 frame rate boost.

The game is playable at ultra settings without DLSS although it can dip into the 60s. Smoothness is also improved. VRAM usage at 2560x1440 according to the in game counter is around 9GB, you can turn down some settings that have minimal visual impact to get it under 8GB. I have not checked actual usage yet.

Overall a big improvement. With DLSS on Quality I get 90-130 frame rates (I have it capped at 130) depending on the scene. Seems like the game is finally fixed.

Started playing this. Runs like a dream. 1440P only because game doesn’t allow full screen. Not sure wtf is up with games not allowing full screen for 4K scaling.

Still as enjoyable as I remembered it. Thought headshots seem simpler with M+K.

Started playing this. Runs like a dream. 1440P only because game doesn’t allow full screen. Not sure wtf is up with games not allowing full screen for 4K scaling.

Still as enjoyable as I remembered it. Thought headshots seem simpler with M+K.
It has a resolution scaling option so you don't have to play at 1440p.

I don't understand why Sony would let a terrible PC porting team handle TLOU. Nixxes is such a better port team they should have handled this game consider how much of a juggernaut it is. Still to this day I think Days Gone is the best Sony PC port. Think they did it in House lol.

Anyways.. after Ratchet i hope Nixxes does Ghost of T :)

I don't understand why Sony would let a terrible PC porting team handle TLOU. Nixxes is such a better port team they should have handled this game consider how much of a juggernaut it is. Still to this day I think Days Gone is the best Sony PC port. Think they did it in House lol.

You and me both, I'm dying to play Ghost of T.

Nixxes can't handle every single Sony PC port...they need to divide it up between developers...otherwise it would take 5 years between each PC release...I'm guessing Horizon Forbidden West is their next port (since they worked on Horizon Zero Dawn PC)

Nixxes can't handle every single Sony PC port...they need to divide it up between developers...otherwise it would take 5 years between each PC release...I'm guessing Horizon Forbidden West is their next port (since they worked on Horizon Zero Dawn PC)

I hope so.

It was primarily handled in house by ND. I’m guessing they thought they’d be able to handle it with whatever dev assistance they got from IG. As long as they’re making money, Sony really doesn’t care.

Nixxes is working on Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart at the moment. I’m hoping their next port is Ghosts or maybe the older Ratchet titles. I’m not in a hurry to replay Forbidden West.

Seems to me Ghosts of Tsushima would make the most sense to port, well, that or a Bloodborne port.

I didn't say they needed to handle ALL ports.. But they should 100% be handling the BIG games... Last of us 2 is like the 3rd highest selling game on ps5 i believe..

Buying the best PC port team and not using it for your flagship game.. That person should be fired lol.

I didn't say they needed to handle ALL ports.. But they should 100% be handling the BIG games... Last of us 2 is like the 3rd highest selling game on ps5 i believe..

Buying the best PC port team and not using it for your flagship game.. That person should be fired lol.

if Nixxes is working on Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Forbidden West then it's debatable if Last of Us 1 is the bigger game...

Hit the chapter where you start playing as Ellie. Just a gorgeous game and amazing voice acting. Really enjoying my time with it. Still 3-4 chapters to go but thus far this has been a great ride. Totally worth the 35 bucks I paid for it.

I had forgotten how good this game was. Also that the remake really is a great improvement over the original.

I am at the end of Bus Depot level and am being swept away by the waves but game keeps crashing. I think it might be the FOV that I have so will try to set it to default but extremely annoying. Anyone else faced crashes at that part of the game. Can’t find anything online except general crash stuff.

Patch 1.1.1 released

another major patch...full patch notes at the link below...

https://feedback.naughtydog.com/hc/...e-Last-of-Us-Part-I-v1-1-1-Patch-Notes-for-PC

A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update addresses fixes for visuals, user experience, crash fixes, and more. It also includes platform and hardware-specific fixes:

-Fixed a crash that could occur when restarting a Permadeath Speedrun after dying
-Fixed a crash that could occur when rapidly switching through available skins
-Fixed an issue where reflections were not appearing in vehicles' rear-view mirrors when Real-Time Reflections are disabled (Options > Graphics > Real-Time Reflections Quality)
-Fixed missing rock and rock wall textures in several areas
-Fixed issues where players could see outside the game world in some locations
-Fixed quick turn animations when zooming without a gun equipped
-Fixed VRAM usage indicator when resetting graphics settings to default after restarting the game
-Corrected several in-game, menu, and text-to-speech translation errors
-Fixed an issue where monitor resolution was not correctly adjusted when using the “Reset to Defaults” command (Options > Display > Reset to Defaults)
-Fixed the bow's UI icon overlapping with arrow counts when a melee weapon is also equipped
-Updated ‘Loading %’ user interface (UI) so loading progress is tracked more evenly
-Fixed an issue that could cause graphic settings preview images not to appear
-Fixed several camera-related issues that could occur when running the game at high framerates
-[Photo Mode] Fixed an issue blocking full selection of presets when using Gaze Direction
-[Photo Mode] Fixed an issue where arrow icons were not interactable when using a mouse to change the color of frames
-[Model Viewer] Fixed an issue that resulted in multiple models to be highlighted at once
-[The Outskirts] Fixed the appearance of water when Image-Based Lighting is disabled (Options > Graphics > Image-Based Lighting)
-[Tommy’s Dam] Fixed a crash that could occur in a cutscene during extended play sessions
-[The University] Adjusted the visual appearance of fog
-[Bus Depot] Fixed a camera issue that also led to a crash when traversing across the bus while the game is running at high framerates
-[Bus Depot] Fixed a crash that could occur in a cutscene during extended play sessions

Left Behind Standalone

-Fixed a crash that could occur if Ellie is wearing the Seattle Wear skin when starting Left Behind
-[Mallrats] Fixed an issue where the health bar could become stuck on-screen
-[Mallrats] Fixed a crash that could occur when switching through multiple skins before loading into the level

Accessibility

-Fixed Screen Magnifier zoom functionality when using accessibility chord inputs (Options > Accessibility > Alternate Controls > Input Remap > Accessibility Chord Inputs)

Steam Deck

-Fixed directional button controls for behind-the-scenes podcast navigation (Extras > Behind The Scenes)

AMD

-Fixed checkerboard patterns that appear on screen when using Motion Blur on AMD RX 580 and RX 590 series GPUs

When was DLAA officially added? I don't remember seeing it before this patch yet nothing in the patch notes about it. I know a while back the only way to get it was using a mod.

This game looks amazing with everything on max! I loved it!

Playing again!

Though even at only ultra widescreen 2k I still drop down to close to 70 well mostly 80 fps.

Glad I didn't go 4k.

This is with a RTX 4090.

Back