The Last of Us Part I

Yeah that's true, it's more than any other game I have played, and I thought Days Gone had a lot of litter and stuff cluttering up the streets and buildings, but this is on a whole other level. My next playthrough will be a slow one just walking around looking at all the details, once it's all patched of course.
I mean to be fair Days Gone is open world game vs linear one.. I'd hope the linear one would have insane detail.

Whilst true, Days Gone runs at well over 120fps and that game has no DLSS/FSR support! So given it's open world, and has basically no loading screens between the big map areas you are currently exploring, it's kinda insane that a linear world is so poorly optimised.

Whilst true, Days Gone runs at well over 120fps and that game has no DLSS/FSR support! So given it's open world, and has basically no loading screens between the big map areas you are currently exploring, it's kinda insane that a linear world is so poorly optimised.

It helps that Days Gone was originally designed around the base PS4. It looks better, but it's still clearly a PS4 game. Not that it excuses this game's performance issues, but there are differences.

The Last of Us Part 1 PC vs PS5- A Disappointing Port With Big Problems to Address

The real question is, why did they think this was acceptable to release? What the hell was their MVP, it "runs" from start to finish? I don't understand what they've been doing all of this time?

This seems like the worst Playstation port to date. But a lot of their games were rough at launch. Days Gone was seemingly the best day 1 port, as well as God of War.

I do think they will sort it out eventually but how long that will take is up in the air. Hotfix for Tuesday, patch later in the week. While a good start I doubt it will be that good after the first patch. I may play it though, but am tempted to just skip it for now.

Beat the game over the weekend. Played it originally on the PS4 Pro. Graphics are easily the best graphics I've seen in a video game. Thoroughly enjoyed the game, played it maxed out in 4K with DLSS quality on a 4090. No issues at all.

Beat the game over the weekend. Played it originally on the PS4 Pro. Graphics are easily the best graphics I've seen in a video game. Thoroughly enjoyed the game, played it maxed out in 4K with DLSS quality on a 4090. No issues at all.
Yeah I have been playing it no problems on my 3090. So far not 1 crash at all. I cannot believe how good it looks...

Digital Foundry posted a video that compares the PS5 version of this game in performance mode (1440p 60fps) against PC ultra settings and they're graphical equivalent. This might be the first time that a console game ported to PC doesn't improve on the graphic quality. Note that the PS5 also has a fidelity mode that runs the game at 4K 30fps which improves the image beyond what's possible on PC right now. Just more evidence to show how poor this port is.

I took the advice from this forum and started Uncharted 4 first- my God is that game amazing, I had no idea what I was missing this whole time. I think I will be in for a quite a treat when I get to Last of Us. Naughty Dog is a ridiculously good studio, I know they are working on yet unnamed new IP - I really really hope that project comes to PC sooner than later.

Digital Foundry posted a video that compares the PS5 version of this game in performance mode (1440p 60fps) against PC ultra settings and they're graphical equivalent. This might be the first time that a console game ported to PC doesn't improve on the graphic quality. Note that the PS5 also has a fidelity mode that runs the game at 4K 30fps which improves the image beyond what's possible on PC right now. Just more evidence to show how poor this port is.

This was just posted yesterday.
https://hardforum.com/threads/the-last-of-us-part-i.2020100/page-9#post-1045618062

I think worth keeping the larger picture in mind here.

TLOU 1 is a PS5 exclusive unlike other ports. There are some comments that say ultra high textures make sense only in 4K & you are better off turning down to high in 1440p / 1080p

Also the texture decompression is CPU based (not dedicated hardware like PS5). So if you don't have a 16 core CPU then you might run into occasional CPU bottlenecks
Screenshot_20230403-232430_Opera.jpg
Screenshot_20230403-231904_Opera.jpg

if you need a 16-core CPU and a 16GB VRAM GPU to run the game then something is severely wrong...

Well the PC port team is known to be shit.. so not suprising.. Some people its gonna run terrible for.. some it will run good for.. Saw the same thing in Batman AK.

I’m still not certain they did much with this port. Again, Uncharted 4 port was pretty good, and they did that.
I'm assuming that the Naughty Dog devs responsible for coding TLOU remake are not familiar with the PC platform which is why Iron Galaxy was involved. If that's the case PC optimization was Iron Galaxy's responsibility. Again this is all conjecture but it seems to make the most sense.

That was like one day during the whole year.
Didn't you hear, the gays can't program. In all seriousness it's weird thing to bring up, some of the most talented engineers I've ever met might attend something like this. I think the game will get sorted, I just wish we had some technical details as to what the hurdles are specifically. Porting seems like a super interesting problem to solve, but it also seems like its something that has been solved in the past. I see a lot of speculation but no concrete details on what the major issues are.

I also wanted to add that the Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves collection was a PS4 game that was ported to the PC not a PS5 exclusive. Based on that fact I'll assume again that it's much easier to port Uncharted to PC versus TLOU since the latter has higher res textures, reflections and lighting. Most of the problems being reported are related to CPU load which Marees pointed out are caused by on fly texture decompression.

That was like one day during the whole year.
So I'm guessing you people haven't looked at their profile or their Twitter page as pretty much everything about them involves posts about gender or sexual orientation. Heck, I don't even think they mentioned that they port games anywhere on their Twitter page but maybe it's in there somewhere. You go to my company's website or Twitter page and they actually talk about the services they provide for customers not non-stop woke BS.

I guess instead of blaming the DEV's. Or gay coders you guys are complaining about. Could it be possibly that Nvidia is to blame?

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...s-part-1-resident-evil-4-remake-issues-on-pc/

GeForce hotfix display driver version 531.58 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 531.41

This hotfix addresses the following issues:
  • [The Last of Us Part 1] Game may randomly crash during gameplay on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs [4031676]
The issues with the 30 series cards and the driver is just one of the many problems so it's not down to Nvidia by any means.

And you know damn well nobody's saying that gay people can't code or anything like that. I'm only saying it's ridiculous that a company seems to focus on nothing but topics like that on their Twitter page non-stop. Focus mainly on doing your job and talk about doing your job not focusing on trying to score political points.

Last edited:
The issues with the 30 series cards and the driver is just one of the many problems so it's not down to Nvidia by any means.

And you know damn well nobody's saying that gay people can't code or anything like that. I'm only saying it's ridiculous that a company seems to focus on nothing but that on their Twitter page non-stop. Focus mainly on doing your job and talk about doing your job not focusing on trying to get points with the woke lefttards.
Considering there other ports like Uncharted was just fine. I don't think there are doing a bad job. I wouldn't say its great either tbh.

Considering there other ports like Uncharted was just fine. I don't think there are doing a bad job. I wouldn't say its great either tbh.
I think they'll get it all worked out. There is supposed to be a small patch today and then a larger patch later this week according to Naughty Dog.

This is just the state of gaming these days.. Release a beta product.. Patch it later and fix it. All devs do this.. Look at CD Project ffs.. Witcher 3 was a technical mess.. They have released so many patches and fixes for that game.. Yet the game is praised?

Just wait for a game to get fixed and patched.. Then buy it. The game will be like half price by then anyways.. It's just a better gaming experience.

https://feedback.naughtydog.com/hc/...Last-of-Us-Part-I-v1-0-1-7-Patch-Notes-for-PC
  • Fixed an issue which could cause the Xbox controller stick inputs to erroneously read as zeros for brief periods of time
  • Fixed an issue where the 'Reset to Default' function in the Graphics menu under Settings could make improper selections
  • Fixed an issue where the HUD performance monitors could impact performance when enabled
  • Fixed an issue where a crash could occur when using [ALT+ENTER] to toggle between Fullscreen and Windowed modes
  • Fixed an issue where a memory crash could occur during the transition from the end of the game into the credits sequence
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a crash while the game launched
  • Added additional crash report logs to provide further insight for developers

This is just the state of gaming these days.. Release a beta product.. Patch it later and fix it. All devs do this.. Look at CD Project ffs.. Witcher 3 was a technical mess.. They have released so many patches and fixes for that game.. Yet the game is praised?

Just wait for a game to get fixed and patched.. Then buy it. The game will be like half price by then anyways.. It's just a better gaming experience.
Yep, and that works for many reasons. First, no matter how broken a game is, they'll be a huge swath of people to claim it runs perfect on their system so something must be wrong with yours. Most of these will be people with low-end spec hardware that have no clue what a smooth gaming experience is like in the first place. And then you'll have people that acknowledge all the issues but say those issues shouldn't be factored in when giving a review of the game. Then after the game has been beta tested by users essentially, most of the issues usually get fixed and people forget all about it and pre-order the next game. What pisses me off is games that are still having issues and nothing is ever done about it. Of course, then you just look at what I said earlier which is that so many people will just blame you and not the game. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is a clear example of this where the game has tons of hitching and stuttering that is easily reproducible across any PC yet so many people say it runs fine and give it a great review and blame you.

Yep, and that works for many reasons. First, no matter how broken a game is, they'll be a huge swath of people to claim it runs perfect on their system so something must be wrong with yours. Most of these will be people with low-end spec hardware that have no clue what a smooth gaming experience is like in the first place. And then you'll have people that acknowledge all the issues but say those issues shouldn't be factored in when giving a review of the game. Then after the game has been beta tested by users essentially, most of the issues usually get fixed and people forget all about it and pre-order the next game. What pisses me off is games that are still having issues and nothing is ever done about it. Of course, then you just look at what I said earlier which is that so many people will just blame you and not the game. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is a clear example of this where the game has tons of hitching and stuttering that is easily reproducible across any PC yet so many people say it runs fine and give it a great review and blame you.

You also forgot to blame Valve for this problem, even with games from other developers, because they ushered in the digital delivery of games ~20 years ago that enables all this 😡🤬😤

Agenda much? :p🤔🔍🧐

This shouldn't be the norm, though. I don't understand what they gain from releasing broken POSs other than bad press.

Hotfix driver to help 30 series cards in the game.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5455?=&linkId=100000197687946

This hotfix addresses the following issues:

[The Last of Us Part 1] Game may randomly crash during gameplay on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs [4031676]

Assassin’s Creed Origins may have stability issues when using 531.18. [4008770]

[Resident Evil 4 Remake] Corruption in the game when FXAA enabled [4051903]

It looks like this patch did not improve the shader compile times for many and actually made it longer for some people. It is beyond ridiculous to go through those insanely long compile times with each patch or driver update. I really feel sorry for those users with older slower cpus.

EDIT: The patch did not trigger a recompile of the shaders for me this time like it did on the last patch.

Last edited:
Iron Galaxy was not the main developer on the port...no matter how many times that is said people won't believe it due to Iron Galaxy's checkered history with PC ports (Arkham Knight)...Naughty's Dog's reputation is shielding them from blame

Dave Lang (CPO of Iron Galaxy Studios) said on Jeff Gertsmann's podcast that they did "a little bit of help" on the port, but most everything else was Naughty Dog

Iron Galaxy was not the main developer on the port...no matter how many times that is said people won't believe it due to Iron Galaxy's checkered history with PC ports (Arkham Knight)...Naughty's Dog's reputation is shielding them from blame

Dave Lang (CPO of Iron Galaxy Studios) said on Jeff Gertsmann's podcast himself that they did "a little bit of help" on the port, but most everything else was Naughty Dog
Gasp. The same Naughty Dog that claimed to have solved crunch? I’m shocked, flabbergasted even.

This shouldn't be the norm, though. I don't understand what they gain from releasing broken POSs other than bad press.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was pressure from higher ups, either from ND themselves or SIE, to get it out as close as possible to the end of the series in order to try and strike while it was still in people's minds. If they had a proper QA team then I'd imagine a lot of these issues would have been reported to the dev team before-hand and simply not fixed prior to release.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was pressure from higher ups, either from ND themselves or SIE, to get it out as close as possible to the end of the series in order to try and strike while it was still in people's minds. If they had a proper QA team then I'd imagine a lot of these issues would have been reported to the dev team before-hand and simply not fixed prior to release.

I'm not sure how much of a connection there is between fans of the HBO series and PC gamers...PC fans are going to buy the game regardless of the HBO series and I don't think someone who's never heard of the game but loved the HBO series is going to all of a sudden decide to become a gamer and buy a $2000 PC

Back