The Last of Us Part I

Hoping there are some quick hot fixes. I assumed the delay meant it would be a good launch.
It's bizarre to me that they would release the game with these crashes given that Uncharted 4 plays just fine on the same systems that this one is crashing on. There is no way they didn't know about these crashing issues either.

no reviews out?...not a good sign...all of the PS ports had their review embargos lifted either a day before or exactly at the time of launch

It's bizarre to me that they would release the game with these crashes given that Uncharted 4 plays just fine on the same systems that this one is crashing on. There is no way they didn't know about these crashing issues either.

And this is a more recent, ground up remake. Designed for more modern hardware like the PS5/PCs. So it is certainly disappointing. I assumed with the delay it was square away. This is a big release considering how well the TV series is seemingly doing. With luck the hot fixes and patches are quick. HZD had some issues but they were quick to patch it.

no reviews out?...not a good sign...all of the PS ports had their review embargos lifted either a day before or exactly at the time of launch
If it weren't for the crashing, it's a solid 9/10 game. Plethora of different options available, seems to run well when it is running, and looks good. The issue is that it's just outright crashing every few minutes for many people.

If it weren't for the crashing, it's a solid 9/10 game. Plethora of different options available, seems to run well when it is running, and looks good. The issue is that it's just outright crashing every few minutes for many people.

I guess the delay didn't help...it's weird that the release is getting almost no buzz considering this might very well be Sony's biggest PC port to date

The shader compilation time is just laughable and I'm not sure how in the hell they thought that was reasonable for users. Even with a high-end CPU, you could start the process then go eat dinner, take a shit, take a shower and come back and maybe it'll be done.

I think I fixed the crashing by setting the in game frame cap down some, that or it was because I disabled Logitech G-Shit software that this game uses.

Edit - Nope. Still crashing. Just made it longer without a crash. Giving up on this until a patch is released.

Last edited:
Feels like a lot of these late ports are getting forgotten. Too often even I (someone who follows gaming pretty closely) think "Wait...that still isn't out yet? Wow." If they can't strike while the iron is hot, people aren't going to care as much. They whiffed on the Uncharted movie and now they whiffed on an entire season of TLoU. They're doing themselves zero favors with timing, so those ports better be damned good.

The shader compilation time is just laughable and I'm not sure how in the hell they thought that was reasonable for users. Even with a high-end CPU, you could start the process then go eat dinner, take a shit, take a shower and come back and maybe it'll be done.

How long? 40 or so minutes?

they whiffed on an entire season of TLoU. They're doing themselves zero favors with timing, so those ports better be damned good.

the HBO series is getting a lot of love...high ratings plus critical buzz...it was a huge success

as far as the PC release...Iron Galaxy strikes again!

How long? 40 or so minutes?
A better CPU helps. My 5800x3D basically takes 20-30 minutes, and it's one of the only games/programs I use where the CPU actually gets pegged on all cores and hits the 90c thermal limit.

Luckily, i'm not crashing during the shader comp. Although some are - However, that is 100% due to system instability in that case as it's a 20-30 minute stress test.

the HBO series is getting a lot of love...high ratings plus critical buzz...it was a huge success

Sure, but it's over now. They had a perfect opportunity to release this game when the series launched or at least with the final episode. Instead the show has been over for weeks.

Sure, but it's over now. They had a perfect opportunity to release this game when the series launched or at least with the final episode. Instead the show has been over for weeks.
Yea it was a missed opportunity but if the game is in this shape now it would of been a complete disaster a few weeks ago. One thing there is a woman at work that cares nothing for games actually want to play the game because of the show. Her kid is a xbot and they run Macs so she can't.

First played Last of Us back on the OG PS3 which I bought just to play this game back in 2013. A year later I got the world's first 34" ultrawide monitor and dreamt of the day I could play such a cinematic masterpiece of a game how it was truly meant to be played, on ultrawide with the PC's graphical capabilities, and ten years later here we are lol. For me it has met all expectations.

I posted the below on oc, but worth posting here too as it's some useful info some may find useful too.

I just had a 30 minute play with Environment texture quality set to HIGH from ULTRA, that lowers the VRAM use nearly 1GB and I didn't get a CTD until the 30th minute or so. So now dropping character texture quality to HIGH as well. both of these settings show as major VRAM hits. The visual screenshot showing the differences is minimal it seems so I'm fine with that. RTSS showed 9.9GB of VRAM being used just before it crashed so I guess it spikes a load of textures into VRAM maxing it out at some point resulting in the CTD.

This game for 3440x1440 with DLSS Quality requires a 16GB GFX card for sure, 12GB is not enough for everything on Ultra.

Other than that I have to say it looks/runs beautifully. mouse RAW input does feature, and the wealth of GFX options to toggle is quite frankly absurd compared to many other games that offer nowhere near as much. They have definitely put some thought into this port for PC. I am running with the pillarboxes set to minimal which gives you ultrawide cutscenes and all seems great.

I am very impressed. I am also really considering a 16GB card upgrade if this is the way things are heading, and this is with DLSS so a smaller internal render res! The visual effects are simply incredible, especially the water considering it's not ray traced.

My only complaint so far is that the game load time is quite long, I checked HWINFO64 and saw the max SSD read speed was only 100MB/s, so the game is not optimised for SSD speeds at all and I can't see any mode in the settings that might be enabled like HDD mode etc. Dead Space Remake for comparison had read speeds above 1500MB/s, and that has a sys req for a PCIe SSD respectively.

The amount of detailing is simply incredible:

ounJRQg.jpg

P0ZTjr5.jpg

FmiZovl.jpg

YRLAJrT.jpg

XQ2XE8T.jpg

cQyRPlY.jpg

W6vbiVV.jpg

jSQeBT5.jpg

asSHCyb.jpg

2NZpl7e.jpg

HrDrimx.jpg

stXArVG.jpg

dR4R1Tr.jpg

vLwFbrw.jpg

I always knew way back from the PS3 days that if this ever came to PC then a photo mode would be so good to have, and rightly so, the composition possibilities throughout the entire game are a dream for those who like to snap pics like me in the the real world lol.

I did notice a quirk with the built in FPS limiter vs RTSS though, the game's FPS limiter introduces some frametime spikes as you move around regardless of scene, not major but visible on the graph. RTSS introduces zero spikes. The latency remains the same via both methods.

RTSS @ 70fps:
GeJOQ9J.jpg

In-game 70fps cap:
UZOHN1F.jpg

Lastly, here's the first 25 mins and how it ran for me (RTSS overlay visible):

I ran the game for two hours and no problems with crashing or anything using system in signature, my monitor is an old asus ultrawide running at 3440x1440, 100 hz and all I did was set the framerate cap to 100 in game.

SPOILER:
i thought it was bullshit writing by having the grunt shoot joel and his daughter

Other than that I have to say it looks/runs beautifully. mouse RAW input does feature, and the wealth of GFX options to toggle is quite frankly absurd compared to many other games that offer nowhere near as much. They have definitely put some thought into this port for PC. I am running with the pillarboxes set to minimal which gives you ultrawide cutscenes and all seems great

looks impressive from a visual standpoint...much better than I remember the PS4 Remastered version looking when I played it a few years back...one of the best looking rasterized non-RT games...will definitely be picking this up once the performance issues are worked out

Are people who are crashing on the latest NVIDIA driver? NVIDIA just released the "Game Ready" driver for this game last Thursday.

Same stuttering issues as Uncharted. Does it also have negative mouse acceleration?

Same stuttering issues as Uncharted. Does it also have negative mouse acceleration?

I was reading about this on reddit, apparently the fix is to go to the nvidia control panel and setting an FPS cap for the game to your monitor's refresh rate. I'm probably going to buy this once I'm done with Half-Life Alyx, really excited for it.

Mostly negative reviews on Steam currently. That isn't a good sign.
Everyone on steam posting reviews this early have brain damage. Prob thousands of people with 8 or 10 gb of vram running ultra textures and crashing / stuttering

Everyone on steam posting reviews this early have brain damage. Prob thousands of people with 8 or 10 gb of vram running ultra textures and crashing / stuttering

Honestly this game should run fine with 8GB of VRAM. Uncharted 4, A Plague Tale Requiem, Dying Light 2, and many other recent games look just as good if not better and I didn't have any problems with those due to textures. Going from the screen shots above, Uncharted 4 looks better to me.

Ultimately given the steam hardware survey, this is going to be the sad state of affairs! Something crazy like only 1% of gamers on the survey had a 3080 class card, the most common being a 3060 iirc?

Honestly this game should run fine with 8GB of VRAM. Uncharted 4, A Plague Tale Requiem, Dying Light 2, and many other recent games look just as good if not better and I didn't have any problems with those due to textures. Going from the screen shots above, Uncharted 4 looks better to me.
I completely disagree, it looks like a major step up from Uncharted 4 (I just finished that recently), I don't know about Dying light or Plague Tale. Either way, what it looks like in a screen shot might not matter, texture quality / res isn't going to stick out that much from that viewpoint. I'm sure the high textures look incredible, people just need to be okay with not running max texture res.
Never mind the aforementioned brain damage, seems like a lot of people are having issues right now. This is why I never buy anything new anymore.

Last edited:
I played it about 2.5 hours. I had no crashes, but I did sit there for like 28 minutes and waited for the shaders to compile before I even started the game. At 4K no DLSS I was running around 45-55, with DLSS I stayed in around 55-65FPS at ultra settings. So I lowered a few settings to High instead of Ultra and now I am sitting at aroun 75 fps on average.

I've played 1.5 hours so far and had the game running for way longer than that while it was in shader cache. I have had 0 crashes.

I've played 1.5 hours so far and had the game running for way longer than that while it was in shader cache. I have had 0 crashes.

it's always best to wait for the shader compilation to finish before starting the game for the first time

I beat this on ps3 and own the ps4 remastered copy. Don't think the story and gameplay have changed much in the remake for me to warrant a full price tag. But I am really glad its on PC and seems like a decent port that a few patches can easily fix. Might grab it again someday when its super cheap. I hope Sony puts Ghost of T on PC soon though :)

Demon's Souls, Forbidden West, Last of Us- Part II and Ghost of Tsushima are my most wanted Sony ports on PC...

Forbidden West, Last of Us Part 2 are the ones I want the most. Ghost of Tsushima looks interesting enough. I would also play the new God of War when that comes. MGS4, I doubt that would happen without a full remake. I would like it, but being a PS3 only game I doubt it. Especially since Konami owns it.

Back