The Last of Us is coming to PS4 'sometime' this summer!

Most people say its a "preview" of the Phantom Pain gameplay, storywise it is the prologue to TPP...
That said I've put 30-40 hrs into the game, even though you can beat the "main quest" fairly quickly. There's plenty of game there if you go after everything. There will be a few differences/enhancements to the gameplay here and TPP game, like the time accel and mother base system, but the sneaking game is pretty much the same as GZ.

sounds like a different type of game then TLOU...so you must be referring to the characters, story and game mechanics being better then TLOU...still not sure if TLOU vs MGS is a fair comparison but we'll see

sounds like a different type of game then TLOU...so you must be referring to the characters, story and game mechanics being better then TLOU...still not sure if TLOU vs MGS is a fair comparison but we'll see

There is no comparison of the game mechanics.
MGS is a real sneaking game while TLOU tries to be one. It never really hooked me and towards the end of the game I was bored. Characters and story might be debatable...

I really hope you play MGS next month.
You'll see how weak the gameplay really is with TLOU.

2Jhhpt8.jpg

There is no comparison of the game mechanics.
MGS is a real sneaking game while TLOU tries to be one. It never really hooked me and towards the end of the game I was bored. Characters and story might be debatable...

Then why are you comparing them?

I see MGS (the franchise as a whole) and TLOU as two very different games. You're 100% correct, MGS is a stealth action game, TLOU is a cover shooter. Completely different play styles. MGS I would personally say has the more entertaining gameplay. However the story, the characters, the environment... it's not even close. MGS is light-hearted, borderline silly at times. Sure, it's got quite a bit of cutscenes, but that doesn't automatically story driven. That's like calling a Michael Bay film story driven just because it's a movie, and there technically is a story. I've never been engrossed in the MGS story. I've never felt any emotion attachment to it's characters (mostly because many of them, like I said earlier, border on silly). I play it because the gameplay is fun, and much of the time with the cutscenes I find myself with a "get the fuck on with it already" mentality.

TLOU I'd call the exact opposite. There were times I'd find myself wanting to get through a gameplay segment just to get to the next cutscene, the next bit of story. I don't think I've ever played a game so... human. The way the dialog is written, the way people interact with each other. Right down to Ellie saying weird things/acting like a kid her age would. The emotion, particularly towards the end, felt more real than anything I can recall in another game. I avoided it for a long time because I really don't care much for 3P cover shooters, nor the whole zombie apocalypse setting. When I finally played it, I was floored. If for nothing but the story, it's a game that will stick with me forever.

I see MGS (the franchise as a whole) and TLOU as two very different games. You're 100% correct, MGS is a stealth action game, TLOU is a cover shooter. Completely different play styles. MGS I would personally say has the more entertaining gameplay. However the story, the characters, the environment... it's not even close. MGS is light-hearted, borderline silly at times. Sure, it's got quite a bit of cutscenes, but that doesn't automatically story driven. That's like calling a Michael Bay film story driven just because it's a movie, and there technically is a story. I've never been engrossed in the MGS story. I've never felt any emotion attachment to it's characters (mostly because many of them, like I said earlier, border on silly). I play it because the gameplay is fun, and much of the time with the cutscenes I find myself with a "get the fuck on with it already" mentality.

TLOU I'd call the exact opposite. There were times I'd find myself wanting to get through a gameplay segment just to get to the next cutscene, the next bit of story. I don't think I've ever played a game so... human. The way the dialog is written, the way people interact with each other. Right down to Ellie saying weird things/acting like a kid her age would. The emotion, particularly towards the end, felt more real than anything I can recall in another game. I avoided it for a long time because I really don't care much for 3P cover shooters, nor the whole zombie apocalypse setting. When I finally played it, I was floored. If for nothing but the story, it's a game that will stick with me forever.

Because when it came out there was literally nothing else to play on PS4 and one game was consistently funner to play than the other, which was hyped to unbelief imho. The only reason I got TLOU was the hype, so much noise about the game, apparently mostly only about story and cinematics that anyone criticizing the game for its obvious faults is drowned out over the "200+ awards!" and such talk. Sure, great production, but flawed. Gameplay is always the number one thing that brings me back to a game, and I don't really want to play that game again, because I know I can find the gameplay it tries, better, elsewhere. It was just a boring sneaking system, cover system amalgamation, which ironically is what Ground Zeroes is as well. One feels fresh while the other feels like something I've played years ago, but now with zombies.
Yes, yes, characters and story. Not what I was looking for. The "game" was misrepresented imho.

+1

I never saw TLOU as being a stealth or sneaking game...I don't even know if I'd classify it as a cover shooter...yes you could sneak around if you wanted but I never over-used it throughout the entire game...kill a few enemies using stealth but then go in with my guns or melee weapons or use a crafted bomb etc...the stealth aspects seem way more important in MGS but that's because it's a different type of game

Yes, yes, characters and story. Not what I was looking for. The "game" was misrepresented imho.

It was fine. It wasn't supposed to be as "tight" as say Uncharted series. More of a survival horror feel. I put 100+ hrs into the online alone. One of the best multiplayer games around IMO. And that's just about the "game", no story or characters to speak of.

Sure, its fine. And thats all.
Not the greatest game of all time, like some people have conveyed. Last time I ever buy into hype like that.

Because when it came out there was literally nothing else to play on PS4 and one game was consistently funner to play than the other, which was hyped to unbelief imho. The only reason I got TLOU was the hype, so much noise about the game, apparently mostly only about story and cinematics that anyone criticizing the game for its obvious faults is drowned out over the "200+ awards!" and such talk. Sure, great production, but flawed. Gameplay is always the number one thing that brings me back to a game, and I don't really want to play that game again, because I know I can find the gameplay it tries, better, elsewhere. It was just a boring sneaking system, cover system amalgamation, which ironically is what Ground Zeroes is as well. One feels fresh while the other feels like something I've played years ago, but now with zombies.

it's fine that you don't like the game but it doesn't mean that the 200+ awards it got and numerous sites listing it as one of the best games of all time are wrong...most people seem to love the game so you're in the minority here but there's nothing wrong with not liking a game that gets almost universal praise...there are people out there that don't like Half Life or System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Dark Souls etc

it's fine that you don't like the game but it doesn't mean that the 200+ awards it got and numerous sites listing it as one of the best games of all time are wrong...most people seem to love the game so you're in the minority here but there's nothing wrong with not liking a game that gets almost universal praise...there are people out there that don't like Half Life or System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Dark Souls etc

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point, it seems some friends don't agree with me either(they were the ones that talked me into getting it in the first place.) and that is perfectly fine. They were satisfied with the same reasons every review was glowing over and I was expecting something else.
Anyway, I was obviously only speaking to you but it seems the dogs have come out, so I'm done.

I just got the voucher for this with my PS4 and been playing the shit out of it. About 4 hour into it and it is hard to put down.

I just got the voucher for this with my PS4 and been playing the shit out of it. About 4 hour into it and it is hard to put down.

I don't think 4 hours crosses "playing the ship out of it" territory yet...of course I could just be jaded by having put 2k+ hours into dota :p

I don't think 4 hours crosses "playing the ship out of it" territory yet...of course I could just be jaded by having put 2k+ hours into dota :p

You can't possibly compare an infinitely replayable multiplayer game to a single player game.....

I am not even sure how much time I have in it but I think I am near the end. I definitely want to play it again on Hard. Can't remember the last time I played a game to completion and wanted to play it again.

I never thought of TLoU as a cover shooter but definitely more survival horror. Outside of maybe 1-2 spots I don't think I ever even had a cover shootout. It's pretty unique in that regard. It's a little bit of stealth and a little bit of survival horror with just a tiny bit of traditional gunplay.

This is one of the greatest games I have ever played, and the first time I have felt like describing a game as perfect in 18 years.

I wonder if Naughty Dog is working on any new ip's...I know they're busy with Uncharted 4 and possibly Last of Us 2 but I want to see them develop more new games instead of sequels

I wonder if Naughty Dog is working on any new ip's...I know they're busy with Uncharted 4 and possibly Last of Us 2 but I want to see them develop more new games instead of sequels

I doubt it, at least not beyond coffee table chatter. I'm sure the majority of the team is dedicated to Uncharted 4, and I also think it's safe to speculate they are in the early stages of TLOU2. After that, who knows. It wouldn't surprise me if after Uncharted 4 they parted ways with that franchise (letting Sony continue to milk it from it's other first parties). At that point, maybe they will work on something new to put some space between future TLOU titles (if they intend to keep going with it). But my money is on TLOU2 in 2018, and then something else from ND in 2020.

Maybe I'm alone here, but what I'd really love to see is ND get the rights to do another Crash game. Or hell, even a remake of the first game. They could probably pump one out in a short amount of time and/or with a fraction of their workforce. As good as their story driven games are, lets not forget that back in the day their platformers were equally badass.

I thought they said they were done with TLoU. One and done deal..?

I did read a rumor about them bringing back Crash Bandicoot though. :D

I need a TLoU sooner than 2018....

Naughty Dogs track record since the first Uncharted is pretty consistently a new game every two years (not counting remsasters). Uncharted 4 is longer than that, but I expect that's due to creating a new engine. As TLOU2 will share that engine, it makes sense that they will get back to a two year schedule for the remainder of that engines usefulness.

I'm with you, but I think it would be foolish to expect another game from ND before 2018. Maybe Holiday 2017 if Sony can put some serious cash behind it.

I thought they said they were done with TLoU. One and done deal..?

that's the only thing that disappointed me about the game...they talked about how the story was complete and finished etc...but the ending was way too open-ended and definitely left room for more story

I'm not really feeling this game and I'm only growing more bored and frustrated. I want to know more of the story, but the gameplay is just soooooooo lame, every time that I enter a room with an obvious object to hide behind, I feel more discourage from playing the game; OH, another area where I hide and attempt to stealthily take out the enemy because god forbid I use a gun that draws slower than molasses and that I have to aim with a gamepad. Maybe I need to browse the options for aim assist; the NPCs get at least one shot off of me before I complete the process of drawing my weapon and firing.

I'm sure that I've played many games with just as monotonous gameplay, but for some reason I'm really tired of the gameplay in The Last of Us.

I'm not really feeling this game and I'm only growing more bored and frustrated. I want to know more of the story, but the gameplay is just soooooooo lame, every time that I enter a room with an obvious object to hide behind, I feel more discourage from playing the game; OH, another area where I hide and attempt to stealthily take out the enemy because god forbid I use a gun that draws slower than molasses and that I have to aim with a gamepad. Maybe I need to browse the options for aim assist; the NPCs get at least one shot off of me before I complete the process of drawing my weapon and firing.

I'm sure that I've played many games with just as monotonous gameplay, but for some reason I'm really tired of the gameplay in The Last of Us.

I agree. I only played past the first warehouse with 37 guys to sneak past-----except you can just run left, straight, and you are practically at the next cutscene. snore.....

And then some girl shows up and kills a couple of dudes in cold blood and cusses at them because she's so hardcore and that's awesome....

...and she's like oh you can't progress until you go and fetch some guns for us....snore......

Wasn't that scene in the demo? lol
many things to see in the game afterwards.

Wasn't that scene in the demo? lol
many things to see in the game afterwards.

Kids today. Unless there are explosions every 2 seconds it is hard to keep their interests. This is why we are getting a Transformers 5 movie.

Yeah seriously. Go play some call of duty.

The Last of Us would probably be tied for my favorite game of all time, right up there with half life 1 for me. And yeah it came completely out of left field, but that's fine by me. Because of the story AND gameplay. The gameplay was great, don't care what anyone says. Plus, the first hour or two of the game is no where near as amazing as the rest of it. Honestly I also felt a little "meh" for the first hour, right up until I got to the town where you meet bill. From that point on I didn't put the game down once to play anything else until I beat it some 25 hours later. Left me breathless, I was literally amazed how well the story, acting, and gameplay played out.

And as for being able to run past enemies instead of fight them.... That's called a tactic. Wouldn't you be able to do that in real life....? How dumb would it be if the game DIDNT let you run past people when you knew you could. That way you can save resources, possibly less risk of death... Etc. Running is a deployable tactic that you can certainly use multiple times in the game.

Call of Duty BO 3 is calling..... Go get some noobs!

I agree. I only played past the first warehouse with 37 guys to sneak past-----except you can just run left, straight, and you are practically at the next cutscene. snore.....

And then some girl shows up and kills a couple of dudes in cold blood and cusses at them because she's so hardcore and that's awesome....

...and she's like oh you can't progress until you go and fetch some guns for us....snore......

You guys not following the thread? You're not allowed to have an opinion on this game, if its negative. Why am I still subbed to this thread?

the game was great but it's also overhyped a bit in that I don't think it's anything close to greatest game of all time (which is what I keep hearing about TLOU)

Yeah seriously. Go play some call of duty.

The Last of Us would probably be tied for my favorite game of all time, right up there with half life 1 for me. And yeah it came completely out of left field, but that's fine by me. Because of the story AND gameplay. The gameplay was great, don't care what anyone says. Plus, the first hour or two of the game is no where near as amazing as the rest of it. Honestly I also felt a little "meh" for the first hour, right up until I got to the town where you meet bill. From that point on I didn't put the game down once to play anything else until I beat it some 25 hours later. Left me breathless, I was literally amazed how well the story, acting, and gameplay played out.

I'm with you. How long did you stand around watching the Giraffes at the college with Ellie? Idk how long I stood there but it was for a while.

I didn't realize TLU was released for PC...

Not sure what you're getting at. I own a PS4.

I'm with you. How long did you stand around watching the Giraffes at the college with Ellie? Idk how long I stood there but it was for a while.

Yeah! That part was great. I'm playing through the game again... On grounded difficulty. Man it is a pain in the ass!

That scene would've been great if one of the giraffes got infected and chased you. Full chapter devoted trying to escape the clutches of it.

Chapter could've ended with Elle saying: "Shit, I hate giraffes."

You guys complaining about the game are completely entitled to your wrong opinion and niche taste in games. :p

But I don't see the point in coming into this thread and trying to convince 98% of the rest of the general public that it's a bad game in any sense of the word. It may not excel in every aspect of gaming and it surely has some quirks, but by and large it's a stellar game with excellent production values.

You guys complaining about the game are completely entitled to your wrong opinion and niche taste in games. :p

But I don't see the point in coming into this thread and trying to convince 98% of the rest of the general public that it's a bad game in any sense of the word. It may not excel in every aspect of gaming and it surely has some quirks, but by and large it's a stellar game with excellent production values.

Pointing out downsides/frustrations the game isnt the same thing as trying to convince everyone that its bad. Seriously, people are so damn sensitive when it comes to criticizing this average game

Back