The Last Of Us: HBO Series

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Pedro Pascal (Mandalorian, Game of Thrones) as Joel, and Bella Ramsey as Ellie. There are backpacks.

FAQN8q-UcAgPj8u.jpeg

Now that you've seen it- "oh that's cool", you can go back to bed.

https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1442293121346248711

SmartSelect_20210926-210956_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not one to hate, but that is is pretty underwelming image.
How do you think I felt posting it?

Well people on Twitter are going crazy over it. And by "crazy" I mean I counted no more than five or six. Man, that's depressing.

Last edited:
I mean, it's not exactly bad. The clothing is the right color, and their height looks about right.

Just considering the subject matter I would expect a little more, but it's hard to say whether it will be good or not.

I’ve never played this series and surely won’t watch it. Just from a layman’s point of view, why another zombie series? It’s played out right now. I don’t need another character driven zombie action survival horror series to watch. There are plenty of other video game properties that would interest me as a limited series, though.

Screenshot leaves much to be desired. Need more info. A lot more info.

I predict those backpacks are going to take home a box of Emmy's in 2022. Do they have agents yet?

On the serious side, both those actors seem like a good choice. Bella Ramsey was one of the only things good about the later seasons of GOT, and Pedro Pascal is great in anything, IMO.

Just from a layman’s point of view, why another zombie series? It’s played out right now. I don’t need another character driven zombie action survival horror series to watch.

Why another horror movie? Why another comedy? Why another romance? Because sometimes you can create things within a specific genre that makes it interesting and lets it stand on its own.

Their hair seems impervious to the harsh reality of a post-apocalyptic world.

That's my biggest pet peeve when a 'post apocalyptic' shows characters have boutique styled hair.

There would be no desire/time for dye jobs or regular haircuts if society fell.

That's my biggest pet peeve when a 'post apocalyptic' shows characters have boutique styled hair.

It's the "Lauren Cohan effect". As the series goes on and the character becomes more unhealthy and haggard, the actor becomes more and more primped including "shabby-chic" hair, make-up, lip filler, tanning, and other cosmetic surgery.

Rob McElhenney did a hilarious reverse parody of it by gaining 50lbs, then got extremely fit for a few seasons of It's Always Sunny.

I remember watching Dogville, and there are photos of actual people from the same period and background during the ending credits.
They were polar opposites. Same goes for WW II films, I remember going through an album from the Warsaw uprising a few months ago and how emaciated the partisans were, most grins revealed missing teeth, etc.
I think few come close as for example Charlize Theron in Monster. In TV it's actually plain bad.
Lose the make-up at least, sheesh.

Not exactly post-apocalyptic, but the show Lost was a terrible offender on that count.

Their hair seems impervious to the harsh reality of a post-apocalyptic world.
The hair doesn't bother me. It is easy to keep hair groomed if you care. What gets me is that even after 10+ years of zombie apocalypse is that everyone one still has perfect pearly white teeth.

Neither actor chosen matches the in game models.

Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey, sure they might be good actors, but if they don't look the part, then they should have hired someone else.

Looks like a pic from the game.

I am reluctantly optimistic for the show, as both games are some of my favs of all time. I'm mostly sceptic about the cast, as they don't favor the game characters much at all IMO. I'm not sure I can picture Pedro pulling off Joel's Texan accent and persona, so I hope he can surprise me when we finally get a trailer of the show. But this pic doesn't really do anything for anyone, I think.

hopefully hbo doesnt woken it up but shouldnt this be in the entertainment section?!
and no "its about a video game" does not make it tech news....

Neither actor chosen matches the in game models.

Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey, sure they might be good actors, but if they don't look the part, then they should have hired someone else.
Pedro Pascal can pull off anything. Bella Ramsey, on the other hand... that little brat from Game of Thrones?

596c22c9b4ec0167108b4775

Everyone knows Ellen Page would've been the perfect Ellie - before she found testosterone, push-ups and transnationalism. I can totally understand her chasing one of the latest Instagram fads, but not at the cost of taking herself out of the running for a beloved videogame crossover series - there are limits.

140215-ellen-page-800.jpg

1632774447470.png

Last edited:
Pedro Pascal can pull off anything. Bella Ramsey, on the other hand... is that little brat from Game of Thrones.

596c22c9b4ec0167108b4775

Everyone knows Ellen Page would've been the perfect Ellie - before she found testosterone, push-ups and transnationalism.

140215-ellen-page-800.jpg

View attachment 398221

I'm with you on the Predo Pascal, seems a decent pick. Ellen Page, even if she was still "Ellen", is (was) too old for this by about 10-15 years.

Bella Ramsey on the other hand... I don't know, but I don't think she looks enough like Ellie.

I'm with you on the Predo Pascal, seems a decent pick. Ellen Page, even if she was still "Ellen", is (was) too old for this by about 10-15 years.

Bella Ramsey on the other hand... I don't know, but I don't think she looks enough like Ellie.
Enough makeup artist and post processing work they could make Pedro look like Ellie if they wanted to

Well the developers obviously ripped off Page's likeness for the game (even gave her the same name, super obvious).

In her younger years (and when she was still a girl) she could have pulled it off. Not happening now.

Bella Ramsey kind of has a weird looking face, but otherwise I think she could look the part.

Enough makeup artist and post processing work they could make Pedro look like Ellie if they wanted to

Tell you what, I'm sold on this Pedro idea. Let's get him doing ALL the major roles for this. the tone is gonna have to shift a bit... I'm thinking more of an Austin Powers or Eddie Murphy Nutty Professor vibe.

Now I would pay to see that disaster :p

That’s what Ellen Page USED to look like. Before she went back to the character selection screen, she was already looking like a zombie.

I mean, it's not exactly bad. The clothing is the right color, and their height looks about right.

I saw this and wanted to joke that “I guess they got the sweater right?”

Could seriously be a screen grab from any post apocalyptic show. If they hadn’t said it was Last of Us I’d have just as easily assumed it was Left 4 Dead and they hadn’t met the other two survivors yet.

Why another horror movie? Why another comedy? Why another romance? Because sometimes you can create things within a specific genre that makes it interesting and lets it stand on its own.

Yes but let us be specific, briefly. What is so interesting about the “Last of Us” story to let it stand apart from a beloved, long running series like Walking Dead?

Well with that logic, why even produce anything else at all in this world?

There are enough books/movies/games for anyone today to consume for the rest of their life with nothing new ever coming out.

And why even make The Walking Dead? There were tons of zombie movies going back to Night of the Living Dead in 1968.

If they followed your advice, they would have never made The Walking Dead in the first place.

At this point port the games to PC. Witcher 3 saw another huge sales bump after the TV series came out. I assume the same will be true here. May as well have the PC ports to ride the sales wave.

Yes but let us be specific, briefly. What is so interesting about the “Last of Us” story to let it stand apart from a beloved, long running series like Walking Dead?
Having watched TWD up until Rick left the show and played both TLoU games, they're completely different characters and methods of telling a story while only sharing a similar setting. Neil Druckmann has stated that he likes to write simple stories with complex characters, which is exactly what he did with TLoU games. And TWD is definitely the opposite in that respect with more characters that are generally more shallow, which makes for a more complex story overall with how they all interact and distract from the core story arch. Which given that they're on different mediums (game vs show) as well, they're hardly comparable in any other respect, esp. since they have to tell their stories in completely different ways. Yes, TLoU has a fair amount of cutscenes as well, but just as much of the dialog (if not more so) in the game is given while actively playing, and then a lot of that is even situational and optional depending on where you go and what actions you take. Some of those optional scenes are pretty insightful on their own as well, and most of them definitely add a fair amount of character development and nuance to the story.

That's my take on what makes it stand apart from a series like TWD at least and I'm definitely interested to see if they can continue this theme in the show without adding too many distracting characters. But of course everyone has their own opinions on what makes a good story and also have different thresholds on seemingly controversial aspects like a characters sexual preference and appearance (like Ellie and Abby), so you get people that automatically hate the game based on those very shallow points without even attempting to consider the background given to them or their motivations and influences by key characters and events shown in the previous game or flashbacks, or just normal character development as you play both games in their entirety. That's not to say that there aren't more valid and legitimate reasons to hate the story (mostly in the 2nd game, which is definitely much more divisive than the first, which was intentional by Druckmann), and I can agree with most of those points to a certain extent, but I still ultimately respect the decisions they made with the story and characters in the 2nd game given that you can clearly see that the writers cared about these characters in a way that you don't see in most other games, and even movies/shows to a lesser extent.

Why the hell are people in post-apocalyptic settings so randomly dirty/clean.
Old worn clothes with absolutely unrealistic wear patterns paired with clean hair and dirty skin.

Seriously anyone with even a tiny amount of survival training will understand CLEAN IS LIFE. Dirt will absolutely kill you by causing equipment failure and abrasions that you no longer have access to antibiotics to trivialize.

Even when you look at the equipment... why the heck is the duct tape on the part of the bag that will absolutely never see significant abrasion? Why is the bottom of that bag not coated in tape to preserve the equipment the longest? Hell, the thing sits so bloody low on both their backs that they are sure as hell ain't running anywhere or doing any martial arts moves with the amount of back pain they will have.

No, I am not fun at movies. My wife is worse. Ask her about Sigourney Weaver's pipette technique in Avatar.

Rants aside though that's terrible marketing. That looks like a crappy greenscreen superimposed image made for a college AV project. This is a multibillion-dollar franchise... you will get annihilated in reviews without production values.

//@vegeta535
White teeth are actually realistic. Sugar requires civilization to really be practical and without sugar or easy access to citrus fruit you will absolutely have white healthy teeth for 95% of people.(some people just have acidic mouths that eat their own teeth).

LOST used a real plane, this looks like CG from 2003

Back