The Last of Us. Did you get it? How do you like it?

My one complaint is that the control scheme is backwards from pretty much every other shooter (especially the similar Uncharted) in terms of how you reload, change shoulders, collect stuff, etc.
It's almost like they intentionally changed a comfortable scheme just for the sake of doing it.

5 hours into it and I'm at 30% completion right now. I do a lot of searching thanks to the fallout games making me this way, and I'm constantly making items and upgrading them. I'm still really enjoying the game, it hasn't lost its luster yet.

It only gets better. Entered Pittsburg. Man the graphics in the cutscene with the rain on the car were absolutely phenomenal.

(my post from the other TLoU thread)

Just beat it on normal and in 15 hours.

Simply amazing. I love everything about it, but the dialog and story is just so damn spectacular, which was pretty much expected coming from Naughty Dog (I've played all the Uncharted games too) and after seeing the reviews for it. I've never felt such an emotional attachment to video game characters though, they did an excellent job of pulling you into the game and making it completely immersive in that sense.

I really wish they had some behind the scenes footage and interviews of the devs like they did in the Uncharted games (at least the first one from what I remember) though. I just want to know more about the game and characters now.

I definitely wasn't expecting both Joel and Ellie to make it out alive at the end of this. I was expecting one of them to die at least somehow and for it to be a real tear jerker. So I was very surprised with how relentless Joel was about saving Ellie even if it meant no cure for the infection, then lying to Ellie about what happened with the Fire Flys despite her willingness to die after all of the all of the emotional losses she's suffered and her "waiting for her turn." But I was still very happy with the ending. Ellie is just an astounding character though, she really made the game for me.

So do you all think they set it up for a sequel? I don't see how they could top this, but I wouldn't care if they tried, ND has shown they can continue to top themselves and I would love to see more of Joel and Ellie.

My one complaint is that the control scheme is backwards from pretty much every other shooter (especially the similar Uncharted) in terms of how you reload, change shoulders, collect stuff, etc.
It's almost like they intentionally changed a comfortable scheme just for the sake of doing it.

Does the game have control scheme options? I'm aiming to get this nex month.

Does the game have control scheme options? I'm aiming to get this nex month.

Nope. Otherwise I would have changed them to match Uncharted.
It isn't game-breaking, but I find myself spazzing and doing the wrong things thus far.
To reload, you hit R1 when you aren't aiming. R2 is a "listen" mode. R2 also swaps shoulders when you're aiming.
Considering how many functions are situational, I would have kept R2 as reload. and tweaked the listen mode to be a face button. No clue why they couldn't have made the swap shoulder function one of the stick buttons either.

Good to know. Thanks.

I hope they add the ability to change controls at some point.

I am a PC gamer to the core. I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 in my loft that have not been powered on in almost 2 years. I heard about this game and saw some footage on YouTube. I moved my PS3 down to my living room so I could play this game on my 80" Sharp and listen on my 7.2 setup. I had my wife buy me the game from Target on her way home from work on Friday. I have sat down and played for over 15 hours since Friday. I LOVE this game. I suck using the analog controls, and miss my mouse and KB, but this game is epic in every way. Very enjoyable so far.

Is there more stuff to find through exploration later? So far I feel like I've wasted a lot of time on exploring with nothing to find, but I'm not very far in yet.

Is there more stuff to find through exploration later? So far I feel like I've wasted a lot of time on exploring with nothing to find, but I'm not very far in yet.

I'm like you and attribute this to mild OCD-I try to explore as much as I can because I think I will miss some bad ass powerful weapon or similar. I like that there is no display map other then artifacts, as it makes the immersion much more believable. I don't consider exploring a "waste of time."

I just explore and take in the scenery and when I do find something more the "Bonus feel" I get....Last day off until work for 5 days straight....I was going to play right now, but I think I'll wait until tonight to add to the "scary realism" factor. I shit you not...Hearing The "Clickers" from my 7.2 sound system freaks me out...Try cranking it up and playing in the dark at 1AM

I suck using the analog controls, and miss my mouse and KB, but this game is epic in every way. Very enjoyable so far.

I'm the same... so far I'm still early in and in the few times I have to gun fight, it's a waste of ammo... I find myself beating down more enemies than shooting... I'm on normal mode, I will try the harder modes later.

Seems like a lot of stealth and tactics opportunities. A bit of a hitman feel in that you can try to get through the mission a few ways.

2x4 melee combat is fun!

;)

I'm about 50% in with just under 9 hours of play time on normal and it's getting hard. I'm talking about rage quit battle toad hard. I literally had to stop playing because I got stuck tonight, I'll give it a go again some time tomorrow.

I'm excited to beat the game on normal then play it again on hard, should be interesting to say the least. Before I forget, screw those bloaters...

Best Console game I have played this Generation of consoles. Hands down.

Yeah I have the same problems with the aiming using a controller. I ended up using stealth chokes through most of the game. My biggest issue control wise was that to go to scope mode, you had to press X, I am so use to scope mode to be R3 that I'd turn on my light every time I wanted to use the scope mode.

The aiming is set-up like Uncharted 3. Compared with the first 2 games, it's a little "jumpy."
While I'm also not all that far, I'm also one of those people that explores every corner. Thus far it really hasn't led to much in the way of weapons, trophies, or much else. I've stumbled upon a couple treasure-type items, but not many.
I'm a tireless explorer in my first pass through most games and I go straight to the point in my second pass. Thus far I'm wondering if I should bother in this pass either.

Yeah, I have barely used the guns so far because of the console controls. Plus, in a lot of cases it seems more beneficial to use the stealth approach, lest you get swarmed by 3+ guys and die instantly.

The aiming is set-up like Uncharted 3. Compared with the first 2 games, it's a little "jumpy."
While I'm also not all that far, I'm also one of those people that explores every corner. Thus far it really hasn't led to much in the way of weapons, trophies, or much else. I've stumbled upon a couple treasure-type items, but not many.
I'm a tireless explorer in my first pass through most games and I go straight to the point in my second pass. Thus far I'm wondering if I should bother in this pass either.

I explored nearly ever corner in the game and trust me there aren't any major items you are missing out on. If you are a trophy nut, then yes, I would explore everything because there are pendants and comic books etc that are achievements. But nothing that will change your gameplay experience. Although do not let that deter you from casual exploring. There are are few items that you will not come across in your path even a firearm or two.

Also, I decided to play it on hard right away which I don't normally do. I did have some rage quit moments but its really not difficult. I do recommend though getting every crafting ingredient you can find because they will be crucial to your success. Save the silent weapons and stealth for the infected and when the intial outlaw encounters. Once you are detected feel free use your guns, nothing crazy though. I never really had any ammo issues.

Yeah, I have barely used the guns so far because of the console controls. Plus, in a lot of cases it seems more beneficial to use the stealth approach, lest you get swarmed by 3+ guys and die instantly.

I beat the game on hard with just a little bit over 12 hours. And I left the game on pause for a while too.

I used stealth after the uncharted approach didn't work. Haha

Finally got around to finishing the game tonight. Damn...there's some pretty heavy stuff that goes on later in the game. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. I don't know that I've ever been as emotionally attached to a video game character as I was with Ellie. Naughty Dog deserves all the credit in the world for their work on her. There was so much hype about Bioshock's Elizabeth, but she doesn't hold a candle to Ellie in my book. Seriously, if you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Ellie is up there for my favorite character from a game. Honestly, I've never felt so attached to a character in a game like that before. During that scene with the giraffes when you first get to Salt Lake City, I found myself just smiling at the screen as the scene progressed...I genuinely felt happy for the girl. Hats off to Naughty Dog for that.

That said, I was NOT expecting the game to end the way it did. I'm not saying it was a bad ending at all, but I'm surprised that Joel gave up saving humanity to save her....then again, I'm also not surprised. It was pretty obvious that Ellie was slowly filling the void left by his daughter, and I don't think he could have gone through a loss like that again.

I wonder if they'll make a sequel on PS4 or if this will just be a stand-alone swan song for their PS3 days. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel that starts off in a time frame where Ellie is grown up. Perhaps she could learn the truth somehow along the way. That might be interesting.

Last edited:
I beat the game on hard with just a little bit over 12 hours. And I left the game on pause for a while too.

I used stealth after the uncharted approach didn't work. Haha

Leaving the game on pause doesn't add to your time. I spent a significantly greater amount of time on the game, but I went full stealth all time time minus a couple parts.

Long live the story-driven epics.

The 3rd and best game of this type I've played this year (Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite), which I don't say lightly. Loved TR and BI, but after 10 hours with The Last of Us, I'm almost certain it will be my game of the year.

My only complaint is that its not available on PC. The frame rate in some places drives me crazy.

My wife and daughter are out of town so I rented this from Redbox on Friday afternoon. The next thing I knew it was 5:30am! I finished it Saturday afternoon.

It really is a work of art, it drew me in like few games have ever done. Definitely near the very top of my list of best games I've ever played.

I wear my headphones when I play this at night, makes the game that much better honestly.

Ellie is up there for my favorite character from a game. Honestly, I've never felt so attached to a character in a game like that before. During that scene with the giraffes when you first get to Salt Lake City, I found myself just smiling at the screen as the scene progressed...I genuinely felt happy for the girl. Hats off to Naughty Dog for that.

That said, I was NOT expecting the game to end the way it did. I'm not saying it was a bad ending at all, but I'm surprised that Joel gave up saving humanity to save her....then again, I'm also not surprised. It was pretty obvious that Ellie was slowly filling the void left by his daughter, and I don't think he could have gone through a loss like that again.

I wonder if they'll make a sequel on PS4 or if this will just be a stand-alone swan song for their PS3 days. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel that starts off in a time frame where Ellie is grown up. Perhaps she could learn the truth somehow along the way. That might be interesting.

It wasn't a cure though right, just a vaccine? I can't remember but I was reading a lot on the TLoU subreddit about the ending last night. If it was just a vaccine, then you're not that much better off. People might not get infected anymore but you still have all the existing infected to deal with, and hunters, etc. Not to mention with the vaccine who knows what the fireflies would've actually done with it.

The whole piece with Ellie asking Joel if what happened was true, and him lying (even though she probably knew deep down) was really important. They both found something to live for, something they had both lost.

I'm on I think chapter 8. So far as others have said, it's the best game I've played this year. Great and in depth story line, you really get into it and connect with the characters and the story, it's not just about killing zombies, although it does this with style. I have no problem recommending this game for sure.

The funny thing is if you cared to collect all the little codec things:
Naughty Dog reveals that the firefiles have actually found many others with the same resistance as Ellie and in fact have not yet found a cure after killing so many. But its the search that keeps hope alive for them and that Joel actually did not lie to Ellie. At least thats what I keep reading.

Last edited:
The funny thing is if you cared to collect all the little codec things:
Naughty Dog reveals that the firefiles have actually found many others with the same resistance as Ellie and in fact have not yet found a cure after killing so many. But its the search that keeps hope alive for them and that Joel actually did not lie to Ellie. At least thats what I keep reading.

Woah, please edit your post! My spoilers are showing in it!

That said, what codecs are you referring to? I found a ton of letters and stuff (not all, but most) but I don't recall anything like that.

That said, what codecs are you referring to? I found a ton of letters and stuff (not all, but most) but I don't recall anything like that.

Yea letters. I havent found all of them myself. But I did read around the internet.

Yea letters. I havent found all of them myself. But I did read around the internet.

This will continue to be a debated topic. The artifact in question is a video recorder from one of the doctors on the 2nd level in the hospital (The orange tent area with microscopes). While your viewpoint is possible, English language would show what he is referring to is that there were others with some possible kind of resistance to spore formation, but never any like Ellie before. In other words, Joel is a liar.

There is a large discussion about this on pretty much every gaming forum. Someone posted a full transcript on gamefaqs

This will continue to be a debated topic. The artifact in question is a video recorder from one of the doctors on the 2nd level in the hospital (The orange tent area with microscopes). While your viewpoint is possible, English language would show what he is referring to is that there were others with some possible kind of resistance to spore formation, but never any like Ellie before. In other words, Joel is a liar.

There is a large discussion about this on pretty much every gaming forum. Someone posted a full transcript on gamefaqs

Of course Joel is a liar. And I think Ellie knows it. It was pretty obvious that she knows something is up. But it's ambiguous and better for it.

I hate it when I see people say that Joel condemned the world by his lie/actions. There was no guarantee that Ellie's "contribution" would have produced a vaccine--just a chance. At worst he's negated one potential solution by saving the life of "his child". I know I would have made the same choice as Joel without hesitation.

I shot that doctor as soon as he made a move to stop me. I did leave the others alone though. They didn't interfere.

I started a couple days ago and I'm ~30% into the story. I think the game is suffering from being over-hyped. It's good, but it isn't the savior that it's being made out to be.

The story and graphics are top notch. I can't recall a game with better sound (maybe right there with Uncharted?). However, the mechanics have some rather major flaws.

The AI is horrible. Not just the player companions -- all of it so far. My biggest issues are:
1. Player companions running around while you're trying to sneak. They don't trigger combat, but it does cause you to stop and consider whats going away. For a game that is so immersive, this shouldn't be happening. It takes away some of the realism that sucks you in.

2. The "police" AI is horrible, too. I'm trying to play the game by sneaking around. When I'm discovered, I often let what discovered me kill me off so I can try again. There have been times that the "police" have been shooting me and I just couldn't die. They would start running away, or stop shooting. At one point, I was discovered. I set the controller down, walked ~30 feet to the kitchen, refilled my soda, and then back to my chair. I was still alive.

3. When loading your game, or respawning from death, you can put put in places you've never been before. I've had this happen to me at least 3 times now, and it is very confusing.

4. Player companions like to tell parts of the story while I'm exploring. They move on ahead and while I'm exploring the entrance to a new area. And then I can barely hear them talking because they've wandered so far off.

5. Sometimes you're spotted for no reason. I've had people behind walls start shooting me. Someone higher up posted about a part where they had to sneak past guards with flashlights. I had a problem with that area, too -- I got detected over and over (no, the flashlight wasn't on). I got fed up with it and just ran all the way down the right side of the screen and... was completely undetected.

6. I've bugged the game out a few times with a key combination that I have no idea what it is. My character kneels, takes his backpack off (like he's crafting) and then just stays there. Can't move or anything, but I can pan the camera a bit.

Don't get me wrong -- it is good. But when you read about how awesome and magnificent a game is, you expect perfection. And it is far from perfect.

I started a couple days ago and I'm ~30% into the story. I think the game is suffering from being over-hyped. It's good, but it isn't the savior that it's being made out to be.

The story and graphics are top notch. I can't recall a game with better sound (maybe right there with Uncharted?). However, the mechanics have some rather major flaws.

The AI is horrible. Not just the player companions -- all of it so far. My biggest issues are:
1. Player companions running around while you're trying to sneak. They don't trigger combat, but it does cause you to stop and consider whats going away. For a game that is so immersive, this shouldn't be happening. It takes away some of the realism that sucks you in.

2. The "police" AI is horrible, too. I'm trying to play the game by sneaking around. When I'm discovered, I often let what discovered me kill me off so I can try again. There have been times that the "police" have been shooting me and I just couldn't die. They would start running away, or stop shooting. At one point, I was discovered. I set the controller down, walked ~30 feet to the kitchen, refilled my soda, and then back to my chair. I was still alive.

3. When loading your game, or respawning from death, you can put put in places you've never been before. I've had this happen to me at least 3 times now, and it is very confusing.

4. Player companions like to tell parts of the story while I'm exploring. They move on ahead and while I'm exploring the entrance to a new area. And then I can barely hear them talking because they've wandered so far off.

5. Sometimes you're spotted for no reason. I've had people behind walls start shooting me. Someone higher up posted about a part where they had to sneak past guards with flashlights. I had a problem with that area, too -- I got detected over and over (no, the flashlight wasn't on). I got fed up with it and just ran all the way down the right side of the screen and... was completely undetected.

6. I've bugged the game out a few times with a key combination that I have no idea what it is. My character kneels, takes his backpack off (like he's crafting) and then just stays there. Can't move or anything, but I can pan the camera a bit.

Don't get me wrong -- it is good. But when you read about how awesome and magnificent a game is, you expect perfection. And it is far from perfect.

Nothing is perfect, but this game is pretty close to it. I never encountered any bugs, but shit, bugs happen. The companion AI not getting detected is a shame, but just think of all the headache it actually saves you. What if Ellie just kept running into the same infected, over, and over, and over and over again. How annoying would that be?

Never noticed any issues with the enemy AI either. Got into some tight spots were I was able to get away and once they lose sight of you, you can actually hide again and they won't know where you are so you can get back the element of surprise.

Lastly.... 30%, pfffft. Come back when you've finished it.

I can't really even think of another tps that has this complex and challenging AI. None of the things listed take away from the overall experience in any meaningful way.

1. This is pretty much the only flaw i have found but it didn't ruin he overall experience with me at all and it doesn't happen that much.
2. This isn't a bug. The AI doesn't react the same way every time. They can rush/flank or just stay put in cover. It's unpredictability makes things much harder to manage when you're fighting multiple enemies. They could have just had the AI at set cover points and just played the peakaboo shooting match like every other game ever.
3. nitpick much? people are now complaining about too many checkpoint vs not enough. If you where near enough to a checkpoint it may have triggered.
4. Guess they should of just took the controls away from you then :rolleyes:.
5. Never had this problem.
6. ""
This rant about the AI is pretty much identical to the reaction people have about good ai that sometimes have glitches in this post i made.

I never encountered all of the AI or Character bugs that were mentioned above. Only thing that breaks immersion is Ellie running into infected or clipping through me when taking cover. I don't mind this and it would have been better if she could be asked to stay put or automagically stays put when infected are up. However, it is fine as it is. The storyline is simply fantastic and graphics plus character emotions are what this game is for.

I reached the Hydro Dam and can't wait to finish the game and also don't want it to end. It is a mixed feeling and I am simply loving this game. Hands down, even with its flaws it is a 9.5/10 in my book.

I just beat the game about a hour ago, was just under 20 hours of play time. I loved it, by far one of the best games I have ever played. I just put it up on the F/S section so someone else can enjoy playing it.

The story was really good, had some odds and ends that surprised me, kept me on my toes playing it at night with my TB headphones on with those clickers. Naughty Dog is amazing, best console game devs out there in my eyes.

I was about 15% into the game but started over last night so my friend could see it from the beginning. He's an XBOX owner...not a fan boy by any means, but that's what he has and knows. He said he didn't think he had ever seen a game on the 360 with graphics like those in The Last of Us.

Is there anything that looks this good on the 360 or for that matter is there anything else on the PS3 that looks this good?

I think this is the only game that really 'brought me into' the feeling and stuff. I nearly cried few times, and you know what, I can't even stop thinking of Ellie's cuteness LOL

Back