The Last of Us. Did you get it? How do you like it?

zamardii

2[H]4U
As a poor college student I can't afford The Last of Us so I would really like some of my fellow [H] console gamers to chime in on the game and what they like/dislike without ruining it with spoilers. All the reviews I have been seeing are saying the game is amazing, perfect, etc etc.

What does [H] think?

We have a TLOU thread already, but here is my impressions after beating it that I posted in that thread.
aI just finished the game......wow, I mean fucking wow.

I just finished the game......wow, I mean fucking wow.

The first few hours you are like yeah this is pretty good but I don't see how it got so many crazy 10/10 scores. The more time you play the better and better it gets. The last few hours I was like yeah, I understand how this game got those crazy scores now.

It isn't perfect and has some issues, but I'll be damned if it isn't a freaking great game.

Graphically, for a console game, best looking game this gen for a console. It looks phenomenal at times. The attention to detail is amazing, it drew you into it.

My only negative comments are all little nit pick things that don't detract from the game in any way.

All I can say is, if you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play this (assuming you aren't just an FPS/sports type junkie or something as it is slower paced most the time).

From what I played so far its amazing. I've only had it for one day and played over 12 hours straight! At first i thought it was jsut another uncharted game with its own spin on plot. But as I started playing, OMG I couldnt put the controller down! Im a sucker when it comes to a good story line; and this game does an amazing job with character development and story telling. My only gripe about the game is how unforgiving it can be! which isnt really a bad thing lol.

About 3 hours in and it's amazing. I can't wait to continue but work/life calls :(

I'm 15 hours in and almost at the end. I think this is the best game I have ever played. The only game I can think of that was as good is Half Life 2. Sell something and buy this game or start giving out blowjobs for $30.

My thoughts from another thread:

I feel that overall the game is really good. Overhyped, definitely. Gameplay wise it is questionable sometimes. The game can actually be pretty "cheap" in terms of how easy it is for you to be detected. Also, the combat system is brutal, but again I feel cheap in that enemies are designed to have the upper hand at all times. It is basically impossible to survive if you have 2 or 3+ attacking you at once. Good luck shooting infected up close when you have a bunch of them crowding you. The NPC's are no help either. No wonder the game auto-saves so much. I love a challenge like most, but it gets to the point sometimes where it can be sightly annoying. If you really look at the game logically, a lot of things don't make sense... the ability to see through walls with the press of a button feels artificial-this mechanic works in a game like Batman because you can explain it is one of Batman's tools doing this, and your companions are never detected even when they are in plain sight. Or how you need a shiv to open some doors that are locked that have loot in them, yet you can kick down others because the story requires you to progress through that way. And the spots where the most loot is for upgrades is always spaced out in exactly the same way. I also question the sparsity of loot and ammo... yet a large amounts of bottles and bricks available to throw.

I don't think the story is that original... its all been done before in films. Children of Men, The Road, I Am Legend, etc. Granted, this is kinda new for games because that opening did a great job to relate to the main character and his loss and then having to deal with again. It has emotion displayed by characters rarely seen in games. This is what for me makes me praise the game. The gameplay... well like I said earlier. Its good, but could have been tweaked better. But I feel that I played this game for its story, not necessarily for its gameplay. I play the Uncharted games for its gameplay.

Last edited:

I feel that overall the game is really good. Overhyped, definitely. Gameplay wise it is questionable sometimes. The game can actually be pretty "cheap" in terms of how easy it is for you to be detected. Also, the combat system is brutal, but again I feel cheap in that enemies are designed to have the upper hand at all times. It is basically impossible to survive if you have 2 or 3+ attacking you at once. Good luck shooting infected up close when you have a bunch of them crowding you. The NPC's are no help either. No wonder the game auto-saves so much. I love a challenge like most, but it gets to the point sometimes where it can be sightly annoying. If you really look at the game logically, a lot of things don't make sense... the ability to see through walls with the press of a button feels artificial-this mechanic works in a game like Batman because you can explain it is one of Batman's tools doing this, and your companions are never detected even when they are in plain sight. Or how you need a shiv to open some doors that are locked that have loot in them, yet you can kick down others because the story requires you to progress through that way. And the spots where the most loot is for upgrades is always spaced out in exactly the same way.

I don't think the story is that original... its all been done before in films. Children of Men, The Road, I Am Legend, etc. Granted, this is kinda new for games because that opening did a great job to relate to the main character and his loss and then having to deal with again. It has emotion displayed by characters rarely seen in games. This is what for me makes me praise the game. The gameplay... well like I said earlier. Its good, but could have been tweaked better. But I feel that I played this game for its story, not necessarily for its gameplay. I play the Uncharted games for its gameplay.

I never felt that I was being detected to easily. Were you creeping around or running near enemies? I never felt like the enemy had the upper hand except when playing as Ellie which makes sense sense she is a teenager. As far as surviving 2-3 enemies at once it's tough but it's possible. You have to plan your course of attack, use your molotovs and nail bombs wisely. If you're being overwhelmed run away and try to lose them by using bottles/bricks to distract them. To me this is much more realistic and this sets it apart from a standard shooter where you can take down 10 guys then duck behind cover and regen your health. I'll agree that the NPC's are useless in battle.

You don't really see through walls pressing R2 lets you know where they are by the sound they make. If they're talking or walking you can see them fairly clearly if they're just standing around they are barely noticeable and sometimes you can't see them at all. You need a shiv to unlock certain doors because they generally contain good loot and you have to decide what will suit your better. Keeping the shiv for enemies or using it for potential loot pay off.

I'm sure many people share your opinion but a lot of the stuff you didn't like is stuff I did like. To each his own.

The other few things that stood out to me where the paths enemies walked and their head movements. I try to map out an enemy path so I could sneak up behind them and their paths are pretty varied. They way they moved their heads was realistic and made head shots more challenging. I also liked how when you got shot you'd get a good junk of health taken off and stumble backwards. Games are to easy these days and I liked the fact that this aspect made you try really friggin hard to not get shot.

The intro to the game is arguably one of the most powerful experiences on consoles I've ever seen.

The rest of the game is excellent but suffers from the typical zombie game issues. For example, you'd think zombies would drag you down and tear your shit up but as it is you can be in a room with 4 of them and basically melee them down individually. That's more of a tech + gameplay failure though.

Developers also really need to work on stealth kills, it seems like you can be 5 ft away from a dude and choking his buddy who's making a hilarious racket and yet they can't hear you. At most if someone like the protagonist put you in a sleeper hold it should take seconds to get knocked-out.

The story is incredible though and the cutscenes are outstanding as usual from Naughty Dog.

I put it just a hair below Uncharted 2 right now. Probably a little bit above TombRaider for this year.

Still waiting on my copy from Amazon. I ordered it 2 weeks ago, but they seemed to think it was a typical Tuesday release instead of Friday. At least they didn't forget my $10 credit.

One more complaint and this one is a big one for me. The companion AI at particular stages in the game absolutely sucks.

I'm talking like AI companions straight up running INTO zombies without triggering combat while you're sneaking around. Hilariously immersion breaking and something they obviously couldn't fix in time for release.

One more complaint and this one is a big one for me. The companion AI at particular stages in the game absolutely sucks.

I'm talking like AI companions straight up running INTO zombies without triggering combat while you're sneaking around. Hilariously immersion breaking and something they obviously couldn't fix in time for release.

This is my only complaint as well. If it did trigger combat it would be even more annoying though.

The game is absolutely phenomenal. Met up with Billy now. This is quite possibly the best game I have played on a console ever. 9/10 thus far.

Companion AI is the only complaint here as well.

The game is absolutely phenomenal. Met up with Billy now. This is quite possibly the best game I have played on a console ever. 9/10 thus far.

Companion AI is the only complaint here as well.

Has it been established that the PS3 has the better games between the 360 and PS3 yet? The argument comes up every now and then, yet one would think if Uncharted 2/3 didn't put the nail in the coffin this certainly would.

GOTY easily and I do not see anything on the horizon that could be better. Tomb Raider was a great game, but quite frankly has no place next to TLOU. Hell I played Tomb Raider on a crossfired 7970 setup @ 1125 on a 30" U3011 and still say that.

Bottom line here is that per the thread title, if you have a PS3 and do not buy TLOU you are doing yourself a disservice missing out on one of this generations best games on the same levels as Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, or Super Mario Galaxy 2. If you have a 360 sell it for a PS3 and if you don't have either buy a PS3.

Btw, play Last of Us for 6 hours and go watch World War Z. You will be blown away. Come back and thinking about completing the game tonight.

Much orgasms were induced... :D

Has it been established that the PS3 has the better games between the 360 and PS3 yet? The argument comes up every now and then, yet one would think if Uncharted 2/3 didn't put the nail in the coffin this certainly would.

GOTY easily and I do not see anything on the horizon that could be better. Tomb Raider was a great game, but quite frankly has no place next to TLOU. Hell I played Tomb Raider on a crossfired 7970 setup @ 1125 on a 30" U3011 and still say that.

Bottom line here is that per the thread title, if you have a PS3 and do not buy TLOU you are doing yourself a disservice missing out on one of this generations best games on the same levels as Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, or Super Mario Galaxy 2. If you have a 360 sell it for a PS3 and if you don't have either buy a PS3.
Lol, to be honest that is what i did last weekend. I seen videos on this game and said "fuck now I gotta play it" So I went and bought a PS3 and this game. So far it is probably one of the best games I've played in quite some time. So i guess I now own a PS3so I will probably look around for more games like this to play.

Lol, to be honest that is what i did last weekend. I seen videos on this game and said "fuck now I gotta play it" So I went and bought a PS3 and this game. So far it is probably one of the best games I've played in quite some time. So i guess I now own a PS3so I will probably look around for more games like this to play.

Get the Uncharted games.

I don't own TLOS yet (soon, I hope), but the Uncharted series is much better than a lot of games on the 360. But, it all depends on what kind of games you like. For me, as a very short timer when it comes to the PS3 (just over a month now), I am leaning that the PS3 has better exclusives when it comes to story and game play. You want mindless FPS? 360. You want more of a good story? PS3. I could be wrong, as I've just started the PS3 journey (but I've had the 360 for a long time).

I dunno the PS3 has all the same FPS multi platform games along with Resistance, Killzone, etc. Just missing Halo.

i got it.. the first ten minutes will make validate your purchase alone

After beating the game, shocked that it already ended. But it was a great game overall. I love the facial expressions and the excellent voice acting.

I feel that overall the game is really good. Overhyped, definitely. Gameplay wise it is questionable sometimes. The game can actually be pretty "cheap" in terms of how easy it is for you to be detected. Also, the combat system is brutal, but again I feel cheap in that enemies are designed to have the upper hand at all times. It is basically impossible to survive if you have 2 or 3+ attacking you at once. Good luck shooting infected up close when you have a bunch of them crowding you. The NPC's are no help either. No wonder the game auto-saves so much. I love a challenge like most, but it gets to the point sometimes where it can be sightly annoying. If you really look at the game logically, a lot of things don't make sense... the ability to see through walls with the press of a button feels artificial-this mechanic works in a game like Batman because you can explain it is one of Batman's tools doing this, and your companions are never detected even when they are in plain sight. Or how you need a shiv to open some doors that are locked that have loot in them, yet you can kick down others because the story requires you to progress through that way. And the spots where the most loot is for upgrades is always spaced out in exactly the same way. I also question the sparsity of loot and ammo... yet a large amounts of bottles and bricks available to throw.

I'm not sure I can take you seriously with that last sentence. Don't get me wrong, I love the Uncharted games, but its gameplay is far inferior to The Last of Us in my opinion. Uncharted, you very rarely ever have any real choice in how you do things. I've played through The Last of Us and some of my roommates have started playing. Many encounters played out different because of how they decided to handle a situation.

The biggest problem with The Last of Us in terms of gameplay is that it's too easy to gimmick your way through the game by taking advantage of the AI. It's one of the better AI systems I've seen recently, but it seems like the AI detection capabilities or coordination were toned down compared to the 2012 E3 demos (or the demos were completely orchestrated).

I played Tomb Raider on PS3 and really enjoyed it. My only issue was that the replay value was almost non existent. Everything about the gameplay is predetermined. So I am holding off on this title until it drops in price thinking it will be the same, one play through and it gets shelved. Am I wrong?

Incredible game. Finished it last night. Definitely better than anything I've played in a long time. Lets put it this way, the wife thinks video games are "silly". She was in the living room when I started playing this, and within an hour I was told I wasn't allowed to play it without her around because she didn't want to miss anything. A woman who doesn't like games was so engrossed by the story she sat around watching it for 17 hours. That should tell you all you need.

I traded my 360 slim and all my games in at gamestop for a ps3 this game and a 3 month ps+ card. Best game this gen for sure, hell the best game I've ever played on a console. I talked 3 friends that I've known for 5 years that I've played Xbox with every night into selling their 360 and games to get a ps3, ps+ and this game.

Only complaint I've heard is the ps3 doesn't have party chat like Xbox live but we just use our Bluetooth headsets and do a conference call so we all talk still. We all love this game.

We agreed on the complaints listed earlier about the ai days ago, but it's no where near a deal breaker. If you own a ps3 you really need to get this game. If you have a 360 do like me and my 3 friends did and trace that shit in, ps+ also has uncharted 3, dues ex, lbp karting and saints row the third on it right now, those games are all solid and deserve to be played.

Naughty dog is hands down the best console developers ever.

Incredible game. Finished it last night. Definitely better than anything I've played in a long time. Lets put it this way, the wife thinks video games are "silly". She was in the living room when I started playing this, and within an hour I was told I wasn't allowed to play it without her around because she didn't want to miss anything. A woman who doesn't like games was so engrossed by the story she sat around watching it for 17 hours. That should tell you all you need.

lol same with me and gf. She doesn't like game and know very little about them. but when it come to uncharter series and The last of us. She doesn't want to miss a thing when ever i play.

I have to agree with most of the comments. I finished the game last night and it was one of the best games I played this year. I loved how the story and gameplay fit together so well. And it's one of the few games that I got emotionally attached to the characters. Even though I liked the Uncharted series of games, I never really got attached to any of the characters as I played or got totally engrossed into the story.

I highly recommend this game.

After reading a lot of these threads, I decided to pick it up from GameStop/Digital Download last night and was able to play through the first part... So far, great game. Reminds me of Heavy Rain, which I enjoyed a lot.

These types of games are more and more fun for me, especially on console.

I didn't mind paying full price for a quality game and so far, I'm not disappointed. :D:cool:

Loving it so far and the wife sat in on my first session today. She's hooked, too. I'm so awful trying to aim with the PS3 controller. Trying to stealth my way through.

Got to a point where you have to sneak by some guards with flashlights, and they keep seeing me for no real reason when I'm not in the lights. :confused:

Got frustrated and gave up for now.

Got to a point where you have to sneak by some guards with flashlights, and they keep seeing me for no real reason when I'm not in the lights. :confused:

Got frustrated and gave up for now.

Was your flashlight on?

Loving it so far and the wife sat in on my first session today. She's hooked, too. I'm so awful trying to aim with the PS3 controller. Trying to stealth my way through.

I can't tell you how many people I've choked out in the 4 hours I've played this. I try to keep my ammo supply up for when I really need it because I don't want to be up shit creek with a gun and no bullets.

Seems like near unanimous love ... glad I didn't get rid of PS3. Will grab on way home from work. :D

Back