The Last Guardian Has Finally Gone Gold

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
After being almost nine years in development, the successor to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus is finally complete. Let’s just hope the quality of the final product is reflective of the time spent on it.

Development on PlayStation 4 game The Last Guardian is finally complete, according to a producer on the game who tweeted today that the long-in-development project has finally “gone gold.” Sony Interactive Entertainment producer Jun Yoshino tweeted out the news earlier today, saying “Gone gold. Waddup.” Yoshino’s tweet spread quickly, given apprehension that The Last Guardian will actually make its Dec. 6 release date. Given that the game has been in development since 2007, shifted platforms from PlayStation 3 to PS4 and missed its only officially confirmed release date, PlayStation fans were understandably excited that the game was finally done.

I have not played Ico, but Shadow of the Colossus was one of the most unique "puzzle" games I have ever played. The soundtrack was pretty decent as well. I do have the double pack from the PS3 with both games, I just never got around to playing Ico.

I enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus. Very different game style. Like I said, it's a puzzle game, but presented as an action game. I mean there isn't even a story, it's literally go solve the next puzzle.

Something tells me this won't be worth 65 dollars.

I bet people are beating it in 6-7 hours.

Their games are never about length, and none of their fans obsess over how long the games are. They pack a very large amount of heart and fun into a tight package and don't feel like a ripoff. Shadow was like 10 hours to beat and Ico was like 6, and both were well worth the money when my brother and I played it new. SotC is still on display on a shelf at his place.

Regardless, I'm very nervous about any game that's in development hell for almost a decade. That usually leads to "too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome and you get a cluster-duck of ideas. Hopefully this one bucks the trend.

from what I have seen and heard already this game is crap. I expect it to be forgotten about right after release

Reactions: Uncle
like this
from what I have seen and heard already this game is crap. I expect it to be forgotten about right after release
Also the graphics looks like it should have came out in 2007. I guess I'm just spoiled with the latest graphics tech. If I'm going to spend good money on graphics then is it to much to ask for in return.

I want to play this, but not enough to buy a PS4. I doubt it'll ever make it to PC, though.

I am a bit surprised that it finally got done.

I've been looking for excuses to pick up a PS4 since I really want to play FF7R (huge nerd, reporting in). This might be one. Of course I'll just sell the whole kit once I'm done, lol.

I'm bumping this because I started playing it again this weekend.
I beat it in Feb 2017, so it's time to give it another play through. I thought it'd be a nice decompressor after TLoU2, but the beginning stages trying to control Trico is a bit frustrating, lol. Otherwise, it's still a gorgeous game and makes me excited for his next game, whenever that will be.

Ah, I thought this thread was in the gaming section, not the news section. My bad!

Last edited:
Back