The last game you played that really blew you away

Deadly Premonition. I played it on 360 and loved it. Sure it’s a flawed yet wonderful. Closest thing we’ll see to Twin Peaks: The Video Game.

I'm not going to go back to historical machines as some have done really, but I'll list a few that I've played recently:

Wolfenstein: TNO/TOB The writing is amazing, and unlike most people I love the Tech5 engine. These games pulled me right in, and I enjoyed every minute of them. (TNO more than TOB, but both are great.)

Shovel Knight: This game just gets absolutely everything right. The controls are spot-on, the music is perfect, the graphics are great. It's everything I liked about the games that inspired it, but with modern convenience, polish, etc.

Bayonetta 2: I couldn't put this game down, and have played through it two and a half times now. It's absolutely gorgeous, the mechanics are perfect, the story is ridiculous (in a good way) and it occasionally makes me laugh.

System Shock Enhanced (from GOG.): It's an old game, but with the modifications included, it's an absolutely perfect game too. Granted these mods were already more or less available, but having just played through it again, it was as good as ever, but with no stability issues, no DOSBox issues, controls were much better than when I've played it without mods in the past. It's the perfect version of a perfect game, and really lowers the bar to entry for people who never played it before.

There have been others that I've enjoyed a lot recently, but these stand out in my mind right at this moment.

Edit: And yes, Alien Isolation. Pulled me in so much I actually had to take breaks to relieve a little stress sometimes. :D Love this game!

Last edited by a moderator:
Along with almost everyone else The Witcher 3 is blowing me away right now.

The last game that did this is Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines with the unofficial patch. I never played this game when it 1st came out but kept hearing about it from diehards and tried it about a year ago and hory shet, one of the best games I've ever played. Blew my mind that this game was on a new engine next to Half Life 2 and was this fucking good but was trashed by the media and gamers. The hub areas and mission system are almost identical to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and imo V:tMB is the better game with many more options on how to play. On top of that the fucking story is beyond engrossing with atmosphere that is up there with the best. It's damn near a masterpiece.

I have to mention Alien Isolation

I had a good feeling of the game from the beginning, I expected it to be good, but it was so much better than good. The atmosphere is amazing, you don't even meet the alien until a few hours into the game, but the looming fear weighs over you like a dark cloud. I've never ever had to stop playing a game before because I felt my heart racing.

The game deserves to be taught in game designer schools, instead it got slapped around by people seeking reparations for colonial marines, who were expecting a mindless shooter, where the aliens are cannon fodder at best.

I have to mention Alien Isolation

I had a good feeling of the game from the beginning, I expected it to be good, but it was so much better than good. The atmosphere is amazing, you don't even meet the alien until a few hours into the game, but the looming fear weighs over you like a dark cloud. I've never ever had to stop playing a game before because I felt my heart racing.

The game deserves to be taught in game designer schools, instead it got slapped around by people seeking reparations for colonial marines, who were expecting a mindless shooter, where the aliens are cannon fodder at best.

Yes, entirely! This should have been on my list above. I really enjoyed this game too. Don't know why it slipped my mind.

Back