The Last Flight of the Shuttle Enterprise

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The city of New York will soon be receiving the Space Shuttle Enterprise on Tuesday, a day later that earlier announced due to the possibility of bad weather. What grounded it on the launch pad still grounds it on its last flight. The shuttle will be on permanent display at the Intrepid Museum in Manhattan.

Last edited:
Weather never grounded Enterprise on the launchpad, because Enterprise never flew in space....: It's a glider. Not a real space-shuttle.

I remember watching the "test flights" of the Shuttle Enterprise on TV back in 1977, pretty cool. Fred Haise (Lunar Module Pilot) from Apollo 13 commanded one of the test crews.

What a ripoff. If the trekkies were thinking, they should have asked that the first shuttle scheduled to go into space be called Enterprise. This one here NEVER flew.

Now its gonna rot in the sun and weather in an outdoor display :(

At least there's gonna be some new spacecraft that we can.... oh. :mad:

NYC Bah, they do nothing but take! Bring it to upstate, so maybe we can get a little tourist money.

this is what really pisses me off, mothballing a great program with no successor. I know the ships where old, they where old 10 years ago... and that's when they should have started building the new ones.
Tech has come along way, I'm sure we could get more power from the engines, while using cheaper cleaner fuel, use lighter and stronger materials, better computers better instruments and connectivity all at the same relative price.

Main thing is NASA doesn't let the military get involved to compromise the design needlessly like they did with the shuttle.

Then we get the real space plane which could well perform better and cheaper.

Wont hold my breath though.

Now its gonna rot in the sun and weather in an outdoor display :(

This will be the first replacement for the shuttles

http://www.spacex.com/dragon.php

Maybe with private companies beginning to take the reigns we will begin to see some advancements in space flight.

In conjunction with this;

http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/ba330.php

Some really exciting things could be on the horizon. Some are also talking about using the inflatables to link together and make lunar habitats.

Although I do agree that the shuttle will probably have more visitors in NYC, it is pretty shitty that NASA themselves don't even have a shuttle to display to the public.

Although I do agree that the shuttle will probably have more visitors in NYC, it is pretty shitty that NASA themselves don't even have a shuttle to display to the public.

Atlantis will be on display at the Visitor Center at the Cape.

Back