The karma sutra worm

It's Kama Sutra, not Karma Sutra. You made me panic there for a second when this morning my boss asked me about some new worm going around, and I said "Kama Sutra" (which if you're cultured, you'll know what that means...).

Anyways, Symantec has released AV defs on Jan 17th and our mail servers are picking it up without any problems.

Finally someone has the balls to write a destructive virus :D If you're going to do something like that, do it right :p :D

I'll be sleeping ok tonight, my work LAN is protected, but of course the tens of "my home computer s..t itself last night!!!" questions will surely follow.

I might bring headphones to work to avoid the end user whining.

Just update your AV software. Every AV program should detect this now.

Boscoh said:
Just update your AV software. Every AV program should detect this now.

Yup, this one made the media fast a while ago, most antiviruses pick it up by now I'm sure. The good ones picked it up on the 16th (zero hour protection with heuristics)...rest of the stragglers after that.

If anyone runs across a computer after tomorrow that wasn't protected and got infected I'd be interested in knowing the symptoms were and what you did to remove/detect it.

If you are using AntiVir you need to update I do believe that they have taken care of Kama.

If anyone runs across a computer after tomorrow that wasn't protected and got infected I'd be interested in knowing the symptoms were and what you did to remove/detect it.

Thats exactly why I started the thread, in my line of business, I might have to recover a system from this and I'd like to know how to get a healthy system again.

Taffy Apple said:
Thats exactly why I started the thread, in my line of business, I might have to recover a system from this and I'd like to know how to get a healthy system again.

it's quite simple, you beat the owner senseless with a keyboard until he admits to being a complete and utter idiot. Then you take his system away and replace it with a 286, if you really want to be mean get him/her something running OS/2.

problem solved!

I was hoping for an exciting day of yelling at users but so far nothing :(

ambit said:
I was hoping for an exciting day of yelling at users but so far nothing :(

yeah my users disappointed me as well :(

I was actually hoping it would get on the file server where all the .doc .xls and .mdb file sit, lol , I've yet had to restore few hundred thousand files and it could be fun!

Absolutely nothing. Virus Scanners havnt even picked anything up. Oh well, all quiet on the open front.

Back