The Joys of Bong Cooling

You could always put a HEPA filter in the loop.. have one in both the intake and output of the air. That should keep pretty much all contaminants out and not affect cooling as long as you have big enough filters so as to not reduce the airflow.

back in the duron/athlon days i ran a dryer duct from my window to my case's blow hole to suck in fresh -30c air in the winter.
i did this last winter i had a duct an a fane intake to pull air from outside my window. winters here -40c to -60c it worked well on my i9 7980xe had that sucker running on a Noctua NH-U12A and Oced to 4.8ghz all core temps were insane stressing it would yield 10-12c idle just browsing 2-5c lol. those usb fans from amazon worked well.
pendragon1

i did this last winter i had a duct an a fane intake to pull air from outside my window. winters here -40c to -60c it worked well on my i9 7980xe had that sucker running on a Noctua NH-U12A and Oced to 4.8ghz all core temps were insane stressing it would yield 10-12c idle just browsing 2-5c lol. those usb fans from amazon worked well.
pendragon1
nice. yeah you have an edge on me being a fair bit more north, i think we bottomed out at -38ish this year. those fans would make it easier. back when i did it i had to rig up an extra psu to power mine. i had one in the window to push air into the ducting and the blow hole sucked it into the case. i zigzaged about 12' of duct behind my desk so it could warm up a little, to help prevent any condensation. i didnt ever seem to have issues, think it might be too dry but thats a plus. it worked awesome. had my duron 600 up to 1133 and idle/load was like 5/15 vs 21 room temp.

these were the ones id used to pull in air AC Infinity MULTIFAN S4 since moving and dismantling they now just cool the Rog Rapture Router and the Cable modem lol.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Funnily enough I ran into bong coolers again today.

I wonder how effective it would be to limit the effects of the contamination resultant from the open aspect of the loop, by separating the inside loop from the bong cooler using a water to water heat exchanger. I wonder what kind of Delta-T you can get using a water to water heat exchanger, if that would offset the cooling benefits...
I think a liquid to liquid exchanger is a great idea for external or weird loops like this. If you can find a copper/brass one that is.

I think a liquid to liquid exchanger is a great idea for external or weird loops like this. If you can find a copper/brass one that is.

Most of the ones I have found claim to be copper/stainless steel, but there is little information on whether or not the stainless is fluid contact or not.

Models like this.

1629841999674.png

The differences in anodic index may actually be close enough for this not to be a problem.

In order to keep galvanic corrosion under control in a wet worst case environment (which is what I presume the inside of a water loop is?) the guidelines are to keep differences in anodic index at or below 0.15v.

Copper is -0.35v

18% chromium type corrosion resistant steels are usually about -0.50v

So the difference is exactly 0.15v, and may actually be fine...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a 6ft, it was a hot loop fed by a eheim 1250... ran it into a cnc machined one-off sandwiched waterblocks with 3x220w pelts with teh cold side fed by a small pump.. took a 750 tbrid to 1350 and required a secondary power supply and went through a gallon of water every two hours of gaming... was super awkward, very effective, cheap compared to anything else with that capability, and HORRIBLY in-efficient

Sadly this was before we had decent cameras or needed to be super validated on the internet so no pictures

Back