The journey in moving on....from Windows. Let's talk servers and TV

Lunar

Limp Gawd
So, sorry for the clickbaity title, but it felt fairly appropriate given that it's the journey I've been undertaking here lately, and I just couldn't resist. As I've recently had the motivation to move on from using Windows, I've been steadily shifting over as much of my computing devices to Linux, starting with my daily use machines. However, one that I had serious issues with is how to migrate my TV server over to Linux.

Background. I use over the air broadcast to watch and record live TV. The equipment I use is an antenna (of course), an HDHomeRun quad channel network attached tuner, an MSI Cubi mini PC (Dual core Celeron, 8 GB DDR3, 32GB mSATA SSD, 500 GB WD 2.5" HDD) as my headless DVR server, and multiple android based devices for viewing live TV /broadcasts. The software I used previously was NextPVR, which uses Windows, as does most of the DVR software for PC. I previously tried to switch to MythTV, but frankly I just couldn't get it to work, and with the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) putting a time restriction on how long it can take for me to mess with our TV stuff, I reverted back.

Today. Well, this weekend I decided to give it another go with a different DVR service. For NextPVR to work, I had to pay $25 a year to Schedules Direct for program guide data. SiliconDust, makers of the HDHomeRun tuners, have now created their own DVR service that is significantly more flexible. It is slightly more expensive at $35 a year, but I had planned on shifting to it anyway at some point, and since my SD subscription is over at the end of the month I decided now was as good a time as any. Unfortunately, Linux isn't the lead platform, but they do have a Linux package because it is also used on NAS devices. The amount of platforms supported by their DVR server is actually really impressive.

Decisions. So, this weekend I took the time to try the shift again. I determined that since this server is something that needs to be stable and reliable I elected to use Ubuntu MATE 16.04 seeing as it's lightweight and an LTS release. I also decided that I want this server to serve two purposes. First, and most important, it will be the backend for our Live TV viewing and recording needs. Second it will serve as a backend for indexing my ripped movies stored on my NAS to provide syncing for the Kodi installations at the various TV's. To accomplish this task I decided to give Emby Server a go. For remote management I previously used VNC on Windows, and I didn't see any reason to change this, outside of adding SSH into the mix. So, as before TightVNCserver was selected as my VNC server for headless GUI administration. Although, I've found that for most things I just use the terminal as it's faster.

Results and impressions. So, with the requirements set, software packages decided upon, and the free time to get it done I went to work. It took some time (~5 hours), but after all was said and done I now have my TV server running Ubuntu MATE, with an autostarting DVR service, and Emby as my media indexing backend. So far it is stable, fast, and reliable even considering that the Linux implementation of the HDHomeRun DVR isn't complete yet. Emby is still taking some time to get working exactly how I'd like, but I'm getting there with it. I haven't shifted my Kodi databases to it just yet, but I think that'll be happening sooner rather than later. If however it ends up being too much of a hinderance I'll just install mariadb and use that as a backend for Kodi's databases.

So, at this point I now have my TV server backend providing whole home DVR service to almost any device on my network in the following ways:
Phones and tablets: HDHomeRun app
Linux PC's: Kodi + HDHomeRun addon
Windows PC's: HDHomeRun app

Live TV is viewable on all of these, as are recordings. Live TV can be paused and rewound, and the viewing progress of recordings are synced across all devices so that you can stop and pick up where you left off anywhere. I've only been using this for a couple of days, but so far it's working great, and I've now completed transitioning all of my network backend to Linux. I couldn't decide whether this post belonged here or in the HTPC section, but considering this is really about my story switching to Linux, I felt this was the best place for it. I will post pictures later to show all the various bits and pieces for some visual illustration.

Personally, I run an Ubuntu MATE 16.04 server running TVHeadend - Awesome software and far easier to set up than the age old alternative that is MythTV. It's also free and open source.

FTA DTV is provided to the server via a PlayTV DTV tuner connected via USB (so two tuners all up plus one internal tuner that's disabled ATM as I've run out of antenna cabling) and recordings are stored on a 2TB spinner. Time shifting of TV is also available.

I use Kodi with the TVHeadend addon as the front end via my HTPC in the hometheater as well as various android media boxes and mobile devices scattered around the house all running an identical configuration of Kodi with the TVHeadend addon. The server also runs a 5TB Raid 5 array using mdadm that is used for media storage and, once again, streamed as raw data (no transcoding) to the various Kodi front ends.

This setup literally kicks the shit out of my old Windows based configuration. The HTPC running Ubuntu MATE can boot from cold just as fast as the same machine, running Windows, could boot from S3 suspend to ram. Good job Lunar, I find this stuff fascinating.

9fZjNfwh.jpg

A7hQ1UMh.jpg

kCiKhq4h.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I run an Ubuntu MATE 16.04 server running TVHeadend - Awesome software and far easier to set up than the age old alternative that is MythTV. It's also free and open source.

FTA DTV is provided to the server via a PlayTV DTV tuner connected via USB (so two tuners all up plus one internal tuner that's disabled ATM as I've run out of antenna cabling) and recordings are stored on a 2TB spinner. Time shifting of TV is also available.

I use Kodi with the TVHeadend addon as the front end via my HTPC in the hometheater as well as various android media boxes and mobile devices scattered around the house all running an identical configuration of Kodi with the TVHeadend addon. The server also runs a 5TB Raid 5 array using mdadm that is used for media storage and, once again, streamed as raw data (no transcoding) to the various Kodi front ends.

This setup literally kicks the shit out of my old Windows based configuration. The HTPC running Ubuntu MATE can boot from cold just as fast as the same machine, running Windows, could boot from S3 suspend to ram. Good job Lunar, I find this stuff fascinating.

9fZjNfwh.jpg

A7hQ1UMh.jpg

kCiKhq4h.jpg
Yeah, I gave TVHeadeend a go a little while back as well, but from what I can gather it doesn't handle ATSC as well as it does the DVB variants. I probably could've figured it out, but there's very little documentation that I could find related to ATSC and TVheadend. Although, I'm familiar with your Kodi implementation, as I was previously using the NextPVR kodi addon for live TV. Now Kodi is only serving as the interface for media stored on the NAS.

Yeah, I gave TVHeadeend a go a little while back as well, but from what I can gather it doesn't handle ATSC as well as it does the DVB variants. I probably could've figured it out, but there's very little documentation that I could find related to ATSC and TVheadend. Although, I'm familiar with your Kodi implementation, as I was previously using the NextPVR kodi addon for live TV. Now Kodi is only serving as the interface for media stored on the NAS.

Being in Australia I am running DVB, although there's no reason why ATSC shouldn't be entirely possible, with the exception of your EPG - Which is going to be an issue under any software in the US due to your OTA EPG requirements, however there are paid alternatives (which you're obviously using).

I find B00nie's use of Raspberry Pi's as front ends very interesting, I'm going to have to try that - What OS are you running B00nie?

My biggest win was the server. It's an i7 2600, 16GB ram, intel mobo, 60GBSSD, and numerous storage drives unit that I stored as a freebie from a job - Loaded with a free OS and all I had to buy was the PlayTV tuner for $40.00!

[EDIT] Server specs.

Last edited:
although there's no reason why ATSC shouldn't be entirely possible, with the exception of your EPG - Which is going to be an issue under any software in the US due to your OTA EPG requirements, however there are paid alternatives (which you're obviously using).
Yeah, that was the issue. Currently, I couldn't find any information about incorporating schedules direct data into TVheadend without using a 3rd party application to parse it into XML. I didn't want to deal with that, so that's why I was using NextPVR. NPVR has SchedulesDirect functionality built in, whereas most others don't. But, I wanted to shift to linux, and my wife and I have both really enjoyed using the HDHomerun app to just watch live TV, so I decided to give their DVR service a go. So far I'm liking it quite a bit.

EDIT: If I remember, I'll post pictures of my setup tonight.

EDIT2: Also, I don't think Boonie is using RPi's. His PCB is black, and RPi's don't have a black PCB. So I'm curious. What SBC are you using Boonie, and how well does it handle 4k?

Being in Australia I am running DVB, although there's no reason why ATSC shouldn't be entirely possible, with the exception of your EPG - Which is going to be an issue under any software in the US due to your OTA EPG requirements, however there are paid alternatives (which you're obviously using).

I find B00nie's use of Raspberry Pi's as front ends very interesting, I'm going to have to try that - What OS are you running B00nie?

My biggest win was the server. It's a 6600k, 16GB ram, intel mobo, 60GBSSD, and numerous storage drives unit that I stored as a freebie fro a job - Loaded with a free OS and all I had to buy was the PlayTV tuner for $40.00!

It's not pi it's Rock64. 4 times the CPU, 4k@60fps capable GPU, 4 gigs of ram and USB3 support for ~50 bucks. I'm currently running (what else) Ubuntu Mate arm64 edition!

A Pi can only do full hd. I also have a Pi3.

I wonder what the logic is behind not having a decent OTA EPG in the US?

That's Rock64 is interesting, although my Android devices all handle up to 4k also. The thing that would sway me with the Rock64 is the ability to playback MPCM or bitstream multichannel audio, that's something I haven't successfully done under Android yet.

I remember in the day my uncle had a whole room dedicated to movies on VHS tapes that he'd recorded off TV....

....My how times have changed. :D

So, bring on the pictures.

Network backbone. Modem, router, TV server, and TV tuner.
cvd6kok.jpg

NAS and RPi 3 that will be my Nextcloud server once I have the time.
373Cgc7.jpg

Living room setup with HDHomeRun app running on the Shield TV.
r5IlbUQ.jpg

grASb7V.jpg

The HDHomeRun "guide" showing what's on now, and then what's coming up.
rOFobXG.jpg

sdkvD2L.jpg

HDHomeRun guide showing movies coming on in the near future. I believe for the next two weeks.
Sbncnzm.jpg

My antenna mounted to the side of the house.
pnNVCbq.jpg

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Here's my main setup:

Server and equipment rack.

bPpl2Qlh.jpg

PlayTV DTV Tuner.

BJsMvdKh.jpg

Main hometheater.

QExlbmwh.jpg

HTPC:

a1UePnUh.jpg

Projector.

ni5nCSth.jpg

Boston Acoustics rears.

9x4v17Rh.jpg

Since I got some love for the Dreamcast, here's the collection so far. We've only recently bought/moved into our house, plus we just had our first kiddo, so things aren't done getting put away and whatnot.
3sqLYyI.jpg

PxRaO0W.jpg

Oh, a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, my heart just skipped a beat!

BTW: Love your media setup, failed to mention that. :)

Love the voodoo box. I wish so badly I had kept the retail boxes from my old 3dfx stuff.

I wonder what the logic is behind not having a decent OTA EPG in the US?

That's Rock64 is interesting, although my Android devices all handle up to 4k also. The thing that would sway me with the Rock64 is the ability to playback MPCM or bitstream multichannel audio, that's something I haven't successfully done under Android yet.

Rock64 has an android 7 image available also. I was previously running it - but I don't like the restrictiveness Android brings. I feel my hands are tied when I have no proper desktop and bash.

Rock64 has an android 7 image available also. I was previously running it - but I don't like the restrictiveness Android brings. I feel my hands are tied when I have no proper desktop and bash.

I use Android as a front when I set up media systems for clients, reason being that it's simple and reliable enough for the average idiot to manage and it's fast and simple for me to set up - All I have to do is install Kodi, map drives and populate the library - Possibly set up TV if there's a TV backend. The other thing is that Android is simple to set up to IR remote control.

Does the Rock64 work well with an IR remote, can you power up using the remote?

I use Android as a front when I set up media systems for clients, reason being that it's simple and reliable enough for the average idiot to manage and it's fast and simple for me to set up - All I have to do is install Kodi, map drives and populate the library - Possibly set up TV if there's a TV backend. The other thing is that Android is simple to set up to IR remote control.

Does the Rock64 work well with an IR remote, can you power up using the remote?

The rock image comes with kodi preinstalled. Even has the phoenix add-on that serves pirate movies etc... I have no experience with remotes on the Rock, I've had it for about a week and haven't been able to set it up completely yet.

I have a wireless keyboard (water/food resistant lol) that I use to control it. It runs 24/7.

The rock image comes with kodi preinstalled. Even has the phoenix add-on that serves pirate movies etc... I have no experience with remotes on the Rock, I've had it for about a week and haven't been able to set it up completely yet.

I have a wireless keyboard (water/food resistant lol) that I use to control it. It runs 24/7.

OK.

When it comes to clients, an easy to use IR remote is important. The other thing is the device needs to look the part, if I rocked up with a Rock I reckon I'd get some sideways glances! Let us know how it goes though as I'd love to experiment with one for the $$. Another important factor is 5G WiFi performance, while I only use cabled Ethernet and have the whole house wired with it, most consumers don't.

I never set up any illegal addons, it's just too risky from my perspective as a business owner and there are addons that cause issues with Kodi 17.3 that I just don't want to deal with.

Last edited:
OK.

When it comes to clients, an easy to use IR remote is important. The other thing is the device needs to look the part, if I rocked up with a Rock I reckon I'd get some sideways glances! Let us know how it goes though as I'd love to experiment with one for the $$. Another important factor is 5G WiFi performance, while I only use cabled Ethernet and have the whole house wired with it, most consumers don't.

I never set up any illegal addons, it's just too risky from my perspective as a business owner and there are addons that cause issues with Kodi 17.3 that I just don't want to deal with.
I'd reckon that seeing as it has a GPIO header, even if there isn't an official IR recevier for it, you could probably build one fairly easily. But, as you said, not having a fully enclosed case for it could be a put off to clients. I find that they tend to not like exposed PCB.

EDIT: Found this on the Rock 64 website.
https://www.pine64.org/?product=pine64-basic-media-remote

Looks like it works as I suspected it would. Just connect the IR receiver to the correct pins on the GPIO header. Although, then you have to deal with configuring it so that the system will see it. Could be more trouble than it's worth, especially considering that any official enclosures for the ROCK would have to be modified for the IR receiver.

I'd reckon that seeing as it has a GPIO header, even if there isn't an official IR recevier for it, you could probably build one fairly easily. But, as you said, not having a fully enclosed case for it could be a put off to clients. I find that they tend to not like exposed PCB.

EDIT: Found this on the Rock 64 website.
https://www.pine64.org/?product=pine64-basic-media-remote

Looks like it works as I suspected it would. Just connect the IR receiver to the correct pins on the GPIO header. Although, then you have to deal with configuring it so that the system will see it. Could be more trouble than it's worth, especially considering that any official enclosures for the ROCK would have to be modified for the IR receiver.

I've configured the Microsoft MCE remote to work perfectly with my own Linux MATE 16.04 based x64 HTPC, I wonder how different it would be to configure?

I'd reckon that seeing as it has a GPIO header, even if there isn't an official IR recevier for it, you could probably build one fairly easily. But, as you said, not having a fully enclosed case for it could be a put off to clients.

That's a moot point as there are as many cases as you have imagination. For example the rock laptop! $99

pinebook_size1_new2.jpg

That's a moot point as there are as many cases as you have imagination. For example the rock laptop! $99

pinebook_size1_new2.jpg
Except that it isn't a ROCK laptop. If you dig into it, the Pinebook actually uses a custom PCB based on the Pine64 that's different from the other SMB's, including the Pine64's, that they make.

Except that it isn't a ROCK laptop. If you dig into it, the Pinebook actually uses a custom PCB based on the Pine64 that's different from the other SMB's, including the Pine64's, that they make.

Doesn't matter. It's a PCB. You can stick it in a soap box or precision milled aluminium case. Tons of options. I chose the open transparent case because I like the looks.

The Rock is a development platform, which I find very interesting. Personally I believe such devices should be used more in schools with students taught how to implement the various uses of them as they are definitely part of the future.

Back