The iPad Pro Close To Being A True PC Replacement

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not going to lie, the reason I post articles like this is so that we can all point and laugh. Now, I'll admit that the iPad Pro is a great device for media consumption, but pretending it could become a true PC replacement is just ridiculous.

Now that the iPad Pro has support for USB 3.0, the Lightning interface is now fast enough to allow the device to transfer files to and from flash drives and external USB drives. Extending that support to include networked storage drives would also be welcomed, and it would allow the iPad to grow beyond the limitations imposed on it by iCloud and become a true alternative to a PC.

As a "Pro" device it should have an OSX option IMO, otherwise it quickly became my goto device on the road for general work. Battery life and light weight are awesome when traveling.

How about I write up an article about how my Pixel C is a good PC replacement. LOL.

P.S. It can already access network shares so take that iPad Pro.

Depends on the needs of the user. For more basic stuff an iPad Pro could be a PC replacement but so could much cheaper devices. For what it costs, the larger iPad Pro wouldn't make a lot of sense for many looking for a PC capable 2 in 1 device as the are very capable Windows 2 in 1 devices for the same or less money.

I have replaced my web development/C++/Java development workstation with iPad Pro.
I have replaced my gaming rig with iPad Pro.
I have replaced my replaced my GIS system with iPad Pro.
I have replaced my Auto-CAD workstation with iPad Pro.

BUY ONE

It's good for Facebook and email too.

By the time you all the cables & adapters to try and connect it to every thing you use, you'd be better of with a cheap 2 in 1 Windows laptop.

The iPad Pro might be close to a replacement for an Apple computer (since they were already less than a Wintel based PC). The Surface Pro is probably the main laptop replacement tool available at this time for the 90% of users that don't need workstations, performance laptops, or desktops.

I tried using a laptop to do my audio editing and found agonizingly slow; running the same app (but on windows).
Can an you edit audio on a tablet? Sure. But can you efficiently edit audio? Uh, no.

The iPad Pro might be close to a replacement for an Apple computer (since they were already less than a Wintel based PC). The Surface Pro is probably the main laptop replacement tool available at this time for the 90% of users that don't need workstations, performance laptops, or desktops.
Yea Surface pro is closest to a desktop replacement since it does RUN full desktop version of windows. It can run all the pretty much most anything desktop can. Ipad pro is limited to app store things.

As a "Pro" device it should have an OSX option IMO, otherwise it quickly became my goto device on the road for general work. Battery life and light weight are awesome when traveling.
So the iPad Pro uses iOS? That is hilarious!

I tried using a laptop to do my audio editing and found agonizingly slow; running the same app (but on windows).
Can an you edit audio on a tablet? Sure. But can you efficiently edit audio? Uh, no.

And what were the specs of the laptop vs the specs of the desktop?

It runs a multi-tasking, split-window version of iOS. All it is really missing work wise is the ability to run XCode on it for product developement. The 10+ hour battery makes it great for most other office type work on the road.

It runs a multi-tasking, split-window version of iOS. All it is really missing work wise is the ability to run XCode on it for product developement. The 10+ hour battery makes it great for most other office type work on the road.

To bad they didn't put a microphone and cell phone circuit in it.
I'd love to see some iDweeb holding one up to their head while making a call :)

Side by side splitting is nice but it's still not quite the same as free floating windowing. Then there's things like the lack of mouse support and secondary external monitors.

Yea, it's a phone without like, the phone thingy. But app store! You can choose from 5 apps, but there are 200000 versions of each one so you have unlimited choices!

I do wonder on one thing, how are they taking intelligence as payment instead of money for these things?

What? An iPad Pro can replace a PC? Nope. That's like saying that a Windows tablet can replace an actual notebook or desktop PC. A touchscreen has no business being in PC. Long live the PC along with the keyboard and mouse!

What? An iPad Pro can replace a PC? Nope. That's like saying that a Windows tablet can replace an actual notebook or desktop PC. A touchscreen has no business being in PC. Long live the PC along with the keyboard and mouse!

Windows tablets can replace conventional notebook or desktop better than an iPad Pro generally. That's the primary reason why Windows tablets sales are increasing even as the general PC market is in decline.

Windows tablets can replace conventional notebook or desktop better than an iPad Pro generally. That's the primary reason why Windows tablets sales are increasing even as the general PC market is in decline.
Yup just buy a blu-tooth keyboard and stand and you're generally good to go as a replacement for a notebook, anything not too power demanding and a desktop as well. Sort of the advantage of a windows tablet is it's ungimped OS unlike andriod and ios

My nuc6ppyh is a tad jealous, but with my old 70GB Intel SSD in it and 16 GB of ram, not too jealous and only cost $179. Works great for Bedroom PC youtube/netfix, etc.

Apple has said that the Ipad is a PC replacement for every single version they have released of the Ipad.

Another death of the desktop thing ?

Must be a slow news day :)
Actually the desktop is pretty dead. It accounts for a very small percentage of the PC market and has now become more of boutique product (like high performance cars are to regular models). Now death of the PC, that is the great fallacy. However, although the PC won't die, it is unlikely to ever regain its full previous glory again either.

Actually the desktop is pretty dead. It accounts for a very small percentage of the PC market and has now become more of boutique product (like high performance cars are to regular models). Now death of the PC, that is the great fallacy. However, although the PC won't die, it is unlikely to ever regain its full previous glory again either.

High-performance enthusiast desktop hardware was always a boutique product. Sales of high-end desktop components are pretty level, it's the legions of cheap white boxes meant for consumers market that died. Business desktops still sell in reasonable numbers too, but that might change if prices for reasonable business laptops keep falling.

I have replaced my web development/C++/Java development workstation with iPad Pro.
I have replaced my gaming rig with iPad Pro.
I have replaced my replaced my GIS system with iPad Pro.
I have replaced my Auto-CAD workstation with iPad Pro.

BUY ONE

It's good for Facebook and email too.

Bullshit. I have enough experience with C++ and CAD design to know that while a tablet can certainly augment, they do not in any way replace a workstation.

I'm not going to lie, the reason I post articles like this is so that we can all point and laugh. Now, I'll admit that the iPad Pro is a great device for media consumption, but pretending it could become a true PC replacement is just ridiculous.

For many people, the iPad has already replaced their desktop computer. It's not ridiculous, it has actually happened.

For many people, the iPad has already replaced their desktop computer. It's not ridiculous, it has actually happened.
I don't the there's been much of a question about iPads and other mobile OS tablets replacing PCs for those that didn't need the power of a PC. The question has been about iPads and mobile OS tablets being suitable replacements for those needing productivity capabilities. The larger iPad Pro introduced to the iPad traditional PC productivity elements such as an attached keyboard cover, digital pen and side by side multitasking. The article in the OP talks about the importance of being able to connect to USB devices as an important feature to the author in making the iPad Pro a PC replacement.

I still think at least two big things are missing from iPads and iOS on the productivity front, mouse pointer and external secondary monitor support. While not necessary for all productivity work these are two big deals for a lot of productive tasks. And the completely sandboxed nature, while adding simplicity and security do make iPads inflexible. It'll be see where Apple goes with it's 2 in 1 plans. I doubt there'll ever be touch based Macs or touch support in OS X but iOS will have to at least support mice pointers and external monitors I think.

The iPad Pro might be close to a replacement for an Apple computer (since they were already less than a Wintel based PC). .

This is really the only opinion in this thread so far that is completely unfounded and out of touch.

Most of the other Apple bashing is at least based on real issues, and have a practical basis.

I still think at least two big things are missing from iPads and iOS on the prod. I doubt there'll ever be touch based Macs or touch support in OS X but iOS will have to at least support mice pointers and external monitors I think.

Well I haven't ever used an external monitor on my iPhone, but I have used my iPhone as an external monitor! :)

This is really the only opinion in this thread so far that is completely unfounded and out of touch.

Most of the other Apple bashing is at least based on real issues, and have a practical basis.

It might have been better expressed but I wouldn't say it's a wild thing to say. The OS X software based is considerably smaller than Windows and gaming isn't that big on OS X. Plus the price of the larger iPad Pro would be a problem for many looking to replace a Wintel PC. The price of the larger iPad Pro however is on the low end of a Mac offerings.

Well I haven't ever used an external monitor on my iPhone, but I have used my iPhone as an external monitor! :)

My Windows Phones support Miracast which has it's uses but not something I use much. Again, it's not something I'm saying that everyone needs but secondary monitors add a great deal productive tasks. There's just no way I could use a device every day while at home or at the office for work or productive uses for extended periods without multiple monitors.

Last edited:
isn't USB compatibility something it should have had.... *7 years ago*

If their whole motto is "it just works" -- then maybe it should work with common shit that was out at the time of its release. If I saw someone whip out their bigass Ipad and pretend to work, I'd have a good chuckle. When you are talking business grade computers that are mobile, they need to be tough and able to take a fair amount of abuse and still keep going like nothing happened. What good is a desktop replacement that you have to carry around on a pillow?

Dear Steve,

Thank you for tricking me into thinking it was the weekend. The thread title screams Megalith.

Please show back up,

Hades16x

my regular ipad has so far only replaced my alarm clock lol
Haha, I did something similar with my old Motorola Atrix which I bought the entertainment dock for, I now just use it as a nightstand alarm clock. I get weather and other info on the widgets.

I remember when I worked at apple I asked one of the big wigs visiting why the iPad didn't include a full fledged OS. It's always the same run around, but this guy gave me a somewhat real answer that "We need a way to differentiate the product line, the iPAD is a media consumption device which users have adapted as a work tool, we have no intention of changing our strategy with it, but will take advantage and market it."

So there's that.

Back