'The Interview' Takes In $31 Million So Far

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Interview has brought in $31 million so far. Not bad, but it would be interesting to know how much it cost to make the movie. Also, isn't that what it would have normally brought in once it was released on streaming services? Not sure Sony should be "taking a victory lap."

Weeks after canceling and then un-canceling "The Interview," Sony Pictures is taking a victory lap. The controversial Seth Rogen comedy has been rented or purchased a total of 4.3 million times since its online release on Christmas Eve, Sony (SNE) said Tuesday.

Yeah $31 Million is not enough. The movie cost $40 Million to make plus advertising, so it probably needs to make about $100 Million globally to break even, and since it is already streaming the DVD sales will be next to zero, they are still going to lose quite a bit of money. Not to mention their reputation took a giant hit due to this fiasco, so $31 Million is like a consolation prize, but it is probably still low enough to get some insurance money back, so they may come out okay.

I have to wonder - why should anyone care how much it made or whether it affected Sony negatively? Every time I see movie box office stats linked from this technology site, I wonder this. Next thing you know we're going to be getting links about the Kardashians (sp?).

well, they generated some good hype for that movie - which is utter garbage with all the gay and butt jokes that cater to 14 year olds.

Honestly though, 31M is kind of surprising and good news IMO. I am hoping that one day when a movie comes out it hits theaters, store shelves and digital distribution at the same time. This is a step in the right direction, even with the loss.

I have to wonder - why should anyone care how much it made or whether it affected Sony negatively? Every time I see movie box office stats linked from this technology site, I wonder this. Next thing you know we're going to be getting links about the Kardashians (sp?).
Well this is mostly making news due to the hacking that went on before the movie launched, so it is more tech related than most box-office totals.

And The Interview got nominated for 4 Razzies, because it sucks so bad. Probably the real reason they claimed "terrorists" threatened them from releasing it. If they released it as is, word of mouth would have gotten out on day one, and "macho" Americans claiming "I aint' gonna be pushed round by no terrests!" would not have watched the movie out of spite.

That may have something to do with this little thing that happened where Sony was hacked. Perhaps you missed that part.

I think we should support it, not because of the terrorists thing, but to show there is profit to be made in new-release streaming. I mean really, this movie was supposed to be f'ing terrible, and it "still" made $31 million in only a few weeks. I think that's better than Sony could have hoped for.

The numbers are kind of low considering it's the same type of movie as "This is The End" and "Pineapple Express" which both made a lot more money in the same amount of time.

The numbers are kind of low considering it's the same type of movie as "This is The End" and "Pineapple Express" which both made a lot more money in the same amount of time.

I think there can still be similar movies that are better quality. And also, how many times can you release similar movies before the schtick gets old?

I think we should support it, not because of the terrorists thing, but to show there is profit to be made in new-release streaming. I mean really, this movie was supposed to be f'ing terrible, and it "still" made $31 million in only a few weeks. I think that's better than Sony could have hoped for.

Considering that Sony wasn't going to release this movie which they could have made nothing on. $31 million isn't that bad at all.

This is important because this is a trial run of the potential of same day movie streaming which all the pirates and tech people point to as would reduce piracy. However, these early reports show that it is not nearly as profitable as just releasing it in theaters (check his other movies for comparison). This may discourage any future investments in alternative movie distribution models.

I'm curious as to what the studio's cut of various online sales/rentals is compared to how much they make from theatrical showings.

As far as I know, when movies show in theaters they start off around a 50/50 split between the distributor and the theater, and that ratio slowly shift towards to theater as time goes on. This is why theaters love movies that last a long time like "The Dark Knight", as the theater itself makes a ton of profits towards the end of the run.

If the studio make a much higher percentage of profits from online sales, than $30m online may be worth a lot more to the studio than $30m theatrical.

It would be interesting to compare the actual studio revenue as opposed to just total ticket/rental sales.

Well remember, with digital streaming one could rent it for 6 dollars and show it to a family or friends of 4+ in a group and it would still only cost 6 dollars. Those other movies would of been movie ticket price x # of people.

I think there can still be similar movies that are better quality. And also, how many times can you release similar movies before the schtick gets old?

38 millions for a totally crappy propaganda movie is way too much.

This movie was utter tripe, excruciatingly bad.
"North Korea" should have finished the job and deleted the material from the sony servers :D

Maybe people have finally had enough of thinking "Oh gee how stoned is Seth Rogan when he wrote/directed/acted in this scene"

whats up with all the hipsters with saying how horrible this movie is. is that trendy or something? its a decent movie if you have a sense of humor and would like to see nk a terrible regime go byebye. its similar to stripes and other communist spoofs from the past.

whats up with all the hipsters with saying how horrible this movie is. is that trendy or something? its a decent movie if you have a sense of humor and would like to see nk a terrible regime go byebye. its similar to stripes and other communist spoofs from the past.

now ive heard it all, you are apparently a 'hipster' if you dislike a comedy that is almost entirely unfunny, horrible constructed and extremely testing to sit through.
What if you just didnt like it? :cool:

This. I payed 4.99...or was it 5.99 from DirecTV and enjoyed it in my home with alcohol,mary j, and all the food in my fridge.
Lets stream more new releases. I dont care to much for theatres anymore....or at least their prices.

now ive heard it all, you are apparently a 'hipster' if you dislike a comedy that is almost entirely unfunny, horrible constructed and extremely testing to sit through.
What if you just didnt like it? :cool:

Try not to speak for everybody...some people actually enjoyed it.

Try not to speak for everybody...some people actually enjoyed it.

Did I say I was airing you or anybody elses opinion? Of course I'm only giving my opinion of the movie. Gotta say, in hindsight, it's fairly laughable the gigantic frenzy kicked up over a movie which was ultimately, a complete turd.

Did I say I was airing you or anybody elses opinion? Of course I'm only giving my opinion of the movie. Gotta say, in hindsight, it's fairly laughable the gigantic frenzy kicked up over a movie which was ultimately, a complete turd.

Just curious. Have you watched any other James Franco / Seth Rogen movies? You should check out James Francos Roast on Comedy Central.

I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't amazing but I also knew what kind of quality to expect.

I honestly hoped the movie would have made more to support the streaming of new movies. It makes sense that it did poorly. Most people don't go to the movies alone and a group of people can stream the movie for $6. Right out the gate you cut your ticket sales in 1/2

I'm convinced that most people actually hate movies but continue to watch them simply because they're a cultural staple. I mean, apparently everything sucks, and everything is the worst thing ever made, despite how difficult it is to even get a movie produced and finished.

I'm convinced that most people actually hate movies but continue to watch them simply because they're a cultural staple. I mean, apparently everything sucks, and everything is the worst thing ever made, despite how difficult it is to even get a movie produced and finished.

Yup...if its not art and has deep meaning it sucks.

Yup...if its not art and has deep meaning it sucks.

That's what I don't get. Some movies are 'leave your brain at the door'. Tons of action,or stupid gay and ass jokes, or very scientifically incorrect things - but they are very entertaining.

I don't like a lot of the artsy fartsy kind of movies. Sundance award? It's rare that I'll like it. There are a few, though.

1372347845494.jpg

I thought it was hilarious and I did the same thing Kardon and Ur Mom did. I even watched it sober. It was definitely better than I thought it would be.

Nowadays people have a hard time distinguishing between "This sucks" and "I didn't like this". Believe me, there is a big difference.

And were released into about 2,500 more theaters than The Interview was.

from what i'm told its a pretty bad movie.. the fact that it has made that much SO FAR isn't all that bad.

$44mil to make
$31mil made in the first few weeks.

It will easily make the money back in the first 6 months.

Luckily they didn't have to promote it much after the 'hack'.

Back