The Interview Is A Hit With Pirates

Just shows that current locking content out by region is pointless and does nothing but inhibit legal sales. They need to get it together on this, locking down content by region is completely impossible so they might as well just give in.

LOL yeah, because I'm physically closer to North Korea (1928 mi) than to Hawaii (5,445 mi), I have no legal means to watch it.

Although I'm technically "closer" to the US compared to North Korea because Guam is just 1548 mi away.

They should offer it free to anyone in NK. At least if their internet stays up long enough to get it...

So it was released ONLY in the US?

Maybe that's why lot of people are pirating it, because well, they can't even buy it legally if they wanted to?

If you want people to buy your product, actually make it available and make it more convenient than it is to not pay for it.

Nope, but it is tainted. Most around here just assume pirates are just trying to justifying their own actions with the same old same old, "it's total shit, not worth the money" or "I was not going to buy it anyway". So they grant their opinion little to no weight. Is what it is.

While we're being apathetic, just thought I would mention at least the guy wasn't out the $6 to rent the movie. It's not much, but, "is what it is".

I'll admit I've grabbed content in the past, mostly games, but that's for a few reasons. One, you can't return a crappy game and two, games used to be exorbitantly priced considering most were far not worth it. Now days, this isn't the case though. Games are too cheap and its not worth the hassle considering that fact. The sad truth with movies, though, is the vast majority of them are crap. Hollywood puts out almost nothing good any longer by the numbers.

I saw it today at a real theater.

Movie was crazy funny.

If you like stupid humor like Stepbrothers, Superbad and TED; then this movie is for you.

So it was released ONLY in the US?

Maybe that's why lot of people are pirating it, because well, they can't even buy it legally if they wanted to?

If you want people to buy your product, actually make it available and make it more convenient than it is to not pay for it.

Google Play: Server Error - We're sorry, there was an error. Please try again later.

Youtube: http://i.imgur.com/W9KLep7.jpg

Seetheinterview.com: http://i.imgur.com/B94QTAW.jpg

While we're being apathetic, just thought I would mention at least the guy wasn't out the $6 to rent the movie. It's not much, but, "is what it is".

I'll admit I've grabbed content in the past, mostly games, but that's for a few reasons. One, you can't return a crappy game and two, games used to be exorbitantly priced considering most were far not worth it. Now days, this isn't the case though. Games are too cheap and its not worth the hassle considering that fact. The sad truth with movies, though, is the vast majority of them are crap. Hollywood puts out almost nothing good any longer by the numbers.

There was already plenty of evidence this movie was crap to begin with unless you really like slapstick comedy and rude jokes. Pirates like to pirate because "fuck you" I can. Calling it crap doesn't mean jack shit coming from a freeloader, especially coming from a moronic excuse like "I'm glad I didn't pay for it". :rolleyes:

Rented on youtube. It was pretty funny.

The pirates were always going to pirate it if they could. Although, I'm pretty disappointed that my stream was not 1080p but it seems the pirated version is.

I saw it today at a real theater.

Movie was crazy funny.

If you like stupid humor like Stepbrothers, Superbad and TED; then this movie is for you.
I got some good laughs out of it, so I liked it. Watching the first 15min, Superbad came to mind. Thumbs up

I tried renting it on Youtube and it kept cutting in and out. So I said fuck it, and watched a stream.

exact same thing happened to me on google play. So I picked it up off a torrent to watch immediately, and have subsequently purchased. I thoroughly enjoyed it a stupid guilty pleasure movie.

Rented on youtube. It was pretty funny.

The pirates were always going to pirate it if they could. Although, I'm pretty disappointed that my stream was not 1080p but it seems the pirated version is.

"This video is not available at 1080p. Sorry about that."

exact same thing happened to me on google play. So I picked it up off a torrent to watch immediately, and have subsequently purchased. I thoroughly enjoyed it a stupid guilty pleasure movie.

Yup, worth every penny, I hope they keep coming out with these. Seth Rogan and James Franco are gold together.

Anti-semitism. That may have been a part of Nazi's, but generally hating jews is considered to be Anti-Semitism.

Of course you wouldn't have paid for it :roll eyes:

I never understood that mentality. Pirates always complain that games are shit, yet they keep pirating them. Why don't you guys just accept that you pirate because you want to/can and just let it be, no need to always mention it and why you do it.

Funny how that works is it not? A lot of mu buddies went out on Christmas to watch it and thought it was funny as hell. Most of my buddies who went are Asians which is they were more likely to get the humor. I will probably buy it when it hits DVD or is streamable on Netflix.

Nope, but it is tainted. Most around here just assume pirates are just trying to justifying their own actions with the same old same old, "it's total shit, not worth the money" or "I was not going to buy it anyway". So they grant their opinion little to no weight. Is what it is.

And interesting take, since both sides do have some merit. On one hand there is the justification factor of having just spent a ton on something and seeing it as better than it is in your mind just to make you feel better (whether you do it consciously or not). On the other hand you have people who don't pay for the goods, and then you need to go the other direction to see if there's any justification to paying for it do have the same experience you just had... now in most cases you'll be hard pressed to have someone say "yeah that movie was great I'd like to watch it again right now" but it is a valid point, you just watched it why would you want to see it again? So the "wouldn't pay for it" is another decision you make to justify your actions as well.

That said, how many studies have there been that showed pirates actually spend more on media than those who don't pirate? So maybe of the two choices, they're actually more trust worthy as far as their opinions on a subject.

Pirates:

I heard that the movie is excellent. Well I download it and watched it. The movie was shit.

I heard the move sucked. Well I downloaded it and watched it. The movie was shit.

I heard the movie was etc., etc., The movie was shit.

Glad I didn't pay for it because <insert whatever excuse makes you fell better here>.

Now its time to STFU.

Pirated?! Of course it was. Anyone that thought it wouldn't is living under a rock. I'm sure they had a certain number they were looking at for piracy rates. I do care about their opinion, because they viewed it. I don't care how they viewed it, but their opinion is the same weight as anyone else's.

I'm just curious how all the numbers stack up to an average Hollywood theatrical only release (which, yes, will have a lot of pirates, too - either cams or screeners) for a similar style comedy movie.

How many viewed in theater. How many via VOD. How many via pirated. If the pirate numbers are a lot higher than typical, then I'd say VOD same time as theater is a bust for a while. If it's normal and the other numbers are decent, VOD might be a good option for the industry. No matter what, there will be piracy. I just don't know if the Interview release has a higher/lower/same rate as other movies.

Despite claims by the FBI that North Korea was behind the massive hack against Sony, several cybersecurity experts have come forward to raise questions about the allegation, with some suggesting that insiders at the company could be to blame.

Despite claims by the FBI that North Korea was behind the massive hack against Sony, several cybersecurity experts have come forward to raise questions about the allegation, with some suggesting that insiders at the company could be to blame.

North Korea can't even keep the lights on in Pyonyang at night, there's no way they can hack Sony and steal their movies, at least not without hiring outside help.

I bought it because of the GOP warning period. I wouldn't of seen it otherwise till the netflix release, turned out to be about a good as I expected. Fun, but not great.

Did you ever consider that the opinion of pirates carries more weight because they don't have to justify a stupid purchase or lie about a product to fee less ripped-off?

By not paying for it my opinion isn't tainted by money.

No. Man up :eek:

North Korea can't even keep the lights on in Pyonyang at night, there's no way they can hack Sony and steal their movies, at least not without hiring outside help.

Seriously? A 12 year old with dial up can hack Sony. Cut the bullshit conspiracy theory crap. Did Sony take advantage of the situation? Of course, did they hack themselves? Doubt it.

This notion that Sony couldn't have been hacked by a group in north Korea is ridiculous. Half the U.S.A.has worse internet than they do ffs...

It was Sony's stunt, you stupid fucks. Had nothing to do with North Korea. Sony just trolled the United States with the most unethical marketing of our age.

The movie had some funny moments, but in general was pretty lame. Nevertheless, I bought it on YouTube, simply because I wanted to support the idea of simultaneous or at least speedy online releases of new movies. Hopefully Sony discovers that it can still make its money back with that kind of business model. I still doubt it will ever happen, but it's an interesting start to what hopefully becomes a trend.

It was Sony's stunt, you stupid fucks. Had nothing to do with North Korea. Sony just trolled the United States with the most unethical marketing of our age.

You call others stupid fucks then make an assertion as though it's undeniable fact with no first hand knowledge of your own at all.

Bravo, you could work for Fox news.

In many countries Sony block us from buying the movie, so what the hell do they expect.

idiots :rolleyes:

You should move. Or blame Sony for your county's laws or bullshit regulations preventing them from selling it. Or just cry about it and pirate the game...bet I know which one it is?

As soon as I saw it was available on YT, I knew it would be available for piracy. Google tries to enforce some protection on YT vids (they chunk the videos so crappy add ons won't be able to download the entire video), but it's easily circumvented.

It was an average movie. Funny for the first hour or so but then went downhill.

Hmm, release a movie that's getting a TON of headlines and limit it to just one region, I'm SURE no one in the whole world would consider going around that restriction, nope...

It just befuddles me how stupid people can be in this day and age.

OF COURSE if you release it to a limited region ONLINE people will go around it. Why would they want to wait?

They could have simply released it world wide and made a lot more money, I'd like to know why they decided not to do that, makes utterly zero sense.

You call others stupid fucks then make an assertion as though it's undeniable fact with no first hand knowledge of your own at all.

Bravo, you could work for Fox news.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people will bring Fox News into a discussion that has nothing to do with it. But then, that's why I tend to avoid sites with dipshits like that.

If a thing disagrees with their politics, every, and all methods of discrediting that thing is permissible, no required. Not that Fox is really any sort of bastion of fair and balanced, but the pretense that it is somehow worse than CNN, MSN, or the others does little more than show a persons political affiliation.

I was referring to how both you and Fox life to make baseless bullshit claims based nothing.

And when state-run media are reporting "baseless bullshit claims based nothing" you just ignore it because fuck facts.

Back