The Internet Is Getting Faster, A Lot Faster

HardOCP News

[H] News
The good news is that the average internet speed is on the rise. The bad news is that the U.S. is still 14th in the world for average internet speed.

This quarter's report shows great year-over-year growth in average connection speeds and overall broadband adoption. This is particularly important as consumer expectations rise and many high-profile events, like the summer games in Rio, will be streamed this year. The progress we're seeing across our key metrics shows that, while there's still work to be done, more parts of the world are increasingly able to support the delivery of broadcast-quality video content online.

The bad news is the price keeps going up, and the only other choice most people have to save a few dollars is to downgrade to less than broadband speed.

The bad news is the price keeps going up, and the only other choice most people have to save a few dollars is to downgrade to less than broadband speed.
according to FCC standards only one country's average internet speed meets the definition of broadband. Only South Korea at 26.7 meets the 25Mbps FFC definition.

I still have to laugh when people in a country smaller than the size of one of the States here in the US of A with 20x the population brag about having a faster connection. well duh. Also why - generally speaking - it's much more expensive.

I'm glad that we're at least seeing increases across the board...but cities being restricted by contract of some sort to a couple providers does't help though :p

I still have to laugh when people in a country smaller than the size of one of the States here in the US of A with 20x the population brag about having a faster connection. well duh. Also why - generally speaking - it's much more expensive.

I'm glad that we're at least seeing increases across the board...but cities being restricted by contract of some sort to a couple providers does't help though :p

Lets see. South Korea, Population density is about 518 people per square km. NJ's is 1218. NJ is 8,722.58 km^2, SK is 38,502.

We need to step up our game.

I went from 5Mbps at my old place to 100 with Cox about a year ago. $75 or whatever a month after the promo ends seems like a lot for a data pipe, but I'm happy with the company/service.

I think we get too hung up on averages. Yes, the average USA speed is 15 Mbps, but I have have 7 times that and there are probably more than a few on this site that have 70 times that. Some of the averages are from people who only have access to slower internet speeds but many are from people who CHOOSE to have slower speeds (primarily because of cost). As people continue to get LTE smartphones and as cable/fiber internet providers continue to expand it will help this average but we still need more people who are willing to pay market value for their high speed internet. Expecting to have 25 Mbps for $10-15/month is hardly realistic and does not help its proliferation.

Iwe still need more people who are willing to pay market value for their high speed internet. Expecting to have 25 Mbps for $10-15/month is hardly realistic and does not help its proliferation.

I'd be happy with 25 Mbps for $30-$40

Instead I have a choice of:
300 Mbps $100
100 Mbps $85
50 Mbps $73
15 Mbps $58

or AT&T DSL 3 Mbps for $30 (fastest I can get due to being at the end of the street)

DSL is just too slow to even be considered.
I might consider the bottom speed with Cox if it was less than $30, but $58 is way too much for that speed.

In NJ, we have high speeds because of FIOS. When FIOS came here, the cable companies had to compete. Competition is a good thing.

I can pay $30 for 3mb DSL or $100 for 60mb. Nothing in between unless I switch my TV to their service too. So I deal with DSL and slow speed. At least it's faster than the LTE on my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-22-18-56-57.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-22-18-56-57.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 19
Here I am in Australia... apparently ranked higher than the US... on my 7Mbit connection...

US leading from behind as usual, thanks to the "it's good enough" mentality of pro-monopoly/anti-free market types electing the corrupt and lazy to keep them under the heel.

And then there's places like tiny Chattanooga dragging the "good ol boys" nation up the charts kicking and screaming... aint competition grand?

Last edited:
Currently 200/20 for $60 a month. It was $87/month until I called and complained... :kiss:

50Mbs for $56 with the comcast tv package or 50 Mbs for $67 with out the tv package. If I could just convince my wife we don't need tv.

but that is also bullshit, US population is not evenly dispersed... we have our fairly dense population centers too. its no excuse.. my speed is the same, only the price has gone up.. I have no real choice.. and I am lucky, I have 2 choices I guess... 100$ for cable's with data caps or att which is 1/4 the speed of cable, for a bit more than 1/2 price, but data caps are not enforced... so far.

Download speeds are getting faster, upload speeds are still stuck in the stone ages. That really needs to change...

April 1st, Google Fiber will be installed in all it's 1 Gbps/1 Gbps glory.

Lets see. South Korea, Population density is about 518 people per square km. NJ's is 1218. NJ is 8,722.58 km^2, SK is 38,502.

We need to step up our game.

If only Verizion promised NJ what it failed to deliver we could. FIOS was suppose to be deployed state-wide however, many will be stuck with COMCRAPSTIC forever.

TWC customers will never know the feeling of faster internet....In my area that is...

Speeds have gone up and prices have gone down for me.
March 2015 - 5/.768 for $54
March 2016 - 10/1 for $48

Would be considered bad for some, but I don't live near any major city, so I can't complain. I'm happy with it.

TWC customers will never know the feeling of faster internet....In my area that is...

For New Jersey residents, if your lucky to be in a FIOS area it's about choice than speed. With Comcast I am getting 83/5, but I configured my router to reduce bandwidth bloat.
3402821.png

IMO TV picture quality with Comcast sucks compared to FIOS. Overall, I liked FIOS much better but I moved to a place that does not have FIOS :(

For home service I can only get 3Mbps DSL service for $42/month plus fees, taxes, etc. This has been my only option since 2007. I've tried satellite service, the latency and data caps are terrible.

Broadband? Is that were I tether my laptop to my cell phone? At least you guys have options. My only option is satellite with slow speeds, high lag and crappy data caps for lots of money, tether my cell phone, or good ol' dial up. I tried finding reasonable internet... I mean, if I could just pay $200 a month with $2,000 installation cost for 25MB/s I would be excited... you guys complaining about paying < $100, haha. The last quote I got was for $450 a month for 1.5MB/s + installation costs and a 3 year contract (or was that one the 5 year contract?) No thanks, I'll stick with my grandfathered unlimited verizon plan for internet that is very flaky. Maybe our average is so low because even though people are getting 1GB/s to help increase the average, you still have people stuck with little or no options. Just think, for everyone at 100MB/s we need 3 others with 0MB/s to average them out!

Back